Stadium Parking Ramp Development Site - 25 stories / 294'

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Re: Stadium Parking Ramp Air Rights Development

Postby seanrichardryan » March 14th, 2014, 12:34 pm

I seem to recall they would only move if someone built them a new facility. They will not use county money on a move, especially considering they just spent millions updating the place.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

schmitzm03
Nicollet Mall

Postby schmitzm03 » March 14th, 2014, 12:37 pm

I seem to recall they would only move if someone built them a new facility. They will not use county money on a move, especially considering they just spent millions updating the place.
It might not be ideal, but would they necessarily have to move? The placeholder in the renderings is located on the parking lot next to the medical examiner building. You can see the existing building next to the placeholder.

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » March 14th, 2014, 12:44 pm

Thanks for pulling those into the thread.

I quite like the looks of this building. It's a lot different than the two WF buildings next door, and despite being the same height doesn't make that whole "wall" overly monotonous. I am eagerly awaiting renderings of the building itself from all angles so we can get an idea for the street frontage and the green roof over the parking ramp.
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

City slicker

Postby City slicker » March 14th, 2014, 12:50 pm

Agree. It does look better in the photos than in the images in my head.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » March 14th, 2014, 12:58 pm

Not sure why the ME would need to move. The north half of that block is all parking. And we know this area won't have a shortage of parking in a few years.... sounds like a way for the county to actually *make* money by selling that parking lot.

spearson
Landmark Center

Postby spearson » March 14th, 2014, 1:01 pm

I think it'll end up looking similar to Nic on 5th in stature, except not as squat looking being that the building looks thinner.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » March 14th, 2014, 1:12 pm

Ok, first, I think it looks pretty great. As always, interested to see some more renderings from the street level whenever they provide more detailed documentation.

Secondly, been meaning to ask this for a while. I know this isn't on the "stadium parking ramp" site the thread is talking about, but the Mpls Riverfront presentation had this picture in it:

LRT_StadiumPlazaDev by RailBaronYarr, on Flickr

Is anything planned for this underground (stadium-serving :) )parking ramp, now or in the future? My understanding was it's built to support a structure. Does the stadium agreement limit something like this due to views, etc?

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » March 14th, 2014, 1:18 pm

In the other renderings it looks like that area will be converted into a park. However... there's talk of a new land bridge or something over the LRT tracks at this site. So perhaps that could be integrated into a potential development.

As for this new tower, it's pretty decent looking for Downtown East. This whole area is going to be changed when this happens.

ECtransplant
US Bank Plaza

Postby ECtransplant » March 14th, 2014, 1:23 pm

re: the ME parking lot. My understanding is that part of the problem is they need a certain chunk of the lot for equipment/trailers that get attached to the loading docks in a serious emergency situation. It's not an issue for daily operations, but for it to remain viable and certified to use as a command/control area in a serious emergency, they need a certain amount of space in the lot that would interfere with development plans. I feel like there should be a way to accommodate that, but those were the ME's concerns that I've heard.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » March 14th, 2014, 2:15 pm

Maybe they could move much of the transportation department to Minneapolis, and convert that vacated space in Medina into their command center... Win win.

HuskyGrad
Union Depot

Postby HuskyGrad » March 14th, 2014, 2:55 pm

Ok, first, I think it looks pretty great. As always, interested to see some more renderings from the street level whenever they provide more detailed documentation.

Secondly, been meaning to ask this for a while. I know this isn't on the "stadium parking ramp" site the thread is talking about, but the Mpls Riverfront presentation had this picture in it:

LRT_StadiumPlazaDev by RailBaronYarr, on Flickr

Is anything planned for this underground (stadium-serving :) )parking ramp, now or in the future? My understanding was it's built to support a structure. Does the stadium agreement limit something like this due to views, etc?
The existing parking structure on this site has been built to support a future structure above it.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » March 14th, 2014, 3:01 pm

I think it's going to blow the nic out of the water, no cheesy cream colored concrete, balconies that are incorporated into the architecture, better massing... I don't think there is much comparison. I think Ryan saw Magellan blow opus out of the water and thought, we need in on that.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » March 14th, 2014, 3:04 pm

The existing parking structure on this site has been built to support a future structure above it.
I think the general assumption now is that because there is park, no longer will there be a building there to obstruct views or pedestrian traffic

uptowncarag

Postby uptowncarag » March 14th, 2014, 3:39 pm

No Mortenson rendering? It would have been nice to compare the two. It must have not been that serious of a proposal.

Chauncey87
Nicollet Mall

Postby Chauncey87 » March 14th, 2014, 3:53 pm

I would be very surprised if the Mortenson proposal was anything but serious. A company doesn't publicly announce a new hotel brand into the market without first conducting many meetings, phone calls, and preliminary contracts. Hundreds of (expensive) labor hours have already been spent coming up on how to make the numbers work. The fact that we may never see what Mortenson's design may look like is only the tip of the iceberg. For every rendering the public sees dozens more get scraped or reworked.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » March 14th, 2014, 4:27 pm

I quite like the looks of this building. It's a lot different than the two WF buildings next door, and despite being the same height doesn't make that whole "wall" overly monotonous. I am eagerly awaiting renderings of the building itself from all angles so we can get an idea for the street frontage and the green roof over the parking ramp.
Agree , doesn't look monotonous at all. And the tower has a nice presence with the green glass and modest but well proportioned variation in massing. Feels like a good fit between Wells Fargo and the Stadium.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » March 14th, 2014, 4:31 pm

I think the general assumption now is that because there is park, no longer will there be a building there to obstruct views or pedestrian traffic
I guess my thought is that with 1 and 2/3 blocks of park plus the stadium plaza, open space isn't really constrained in this area, pedestrians will already be "restricted" by a non-closed street, and views from the stadium mainly look down 5th anyway. Providing some additional people somehow and shelter for the inevitable gameday/event crowd that uses the LRT station would seem like worth goals here. I'll stop bogarting the thread though :)

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » March 14th, 2014, 4:50 pm

I guess my thought is that with 1 and 2/3 blocks of park plus the stadium plaza, open space isn't really constrained in this area, pedestrians will already be "restricted" by a non-closed street, and views from the stadium mainly look down 5th anyway. Providing some additional people somehow and shelter for the inevitable gameday/event crowd that uses the LRT station would seem like worth goals here. I'll stop bogarting the thread though :)
I don't disagree with you, I just doubt it's going to happen, I think the MSFA and Vikings and general populous want clear views of the stadium from the park... blah blah blah

uptowncarag

Postby uptowncarag » March 14th, 2014, 6:48 pm

Thanks for pulling those into the thread.

In this picture it looks like the armory has a glass ceiling.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » March 14th, 2014, 8:31 pm

That's just the current patchy tar roof-

https://www.google.com/maps/place/500+S ... 75014dcfd5
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.