Downtown Minneapolis Retail News

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Re: Downtown Retail News

Postby Wedgeguy » January 30th, 2014, 11:31 am

I still see it going as two different stores. Like the Southdale area, you have your main retail store and your discount store. I don't think you want them side by side though. Not quite sure how many sf they would need for their retail in the DT. I still think that the discount should stay in City Center, while their main store would be a great fit on the level above Saks in the 3rd floor. Lens is a destination store, I see them as being able to draw some retail back to the 3rd floor of the original Gaviidae. If they can make a go of it in the basement of the Galleria, they can bring people up to the 3rd level of Gaviidae. Once we get the residents, I see that block filling with retail again. Not sure about stories 4 & 5, but at least thru 3 if you have a strong couple of anchor destination stores up there. Hence Len Duskin, maybe Apple would be another good draw store for level 3. Give them a cheaper rent so that you can fill the other empty space with real rents and maybe even help you get better rent for your levels 4&5. Try and turn Gaviidae back into a retail hub like the Crystal Court.
Last edited by Wedgeguy on January 31st, 2014, 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aville_37
Union Depot

Postby Aville_37 » January 30th, 2014, 6:56 pm

Quick question - I always like to try to go back in time and recall what stores were formerly there when it first opened...Eddie Bauer, what else?

Matt
Metrodome

Postby Matt » February 25th, 2014, 8:34 pm

Juice So Good is coming to the Baker building.
http://www.juicesogood.com/

JackGrayson
City Center

Postby JackGrayson » March 7th, 2014, 9:21 pm

I was in Gaviidae today and the skyway level is looking pretty full retail wise (comparatively). Bravo!

mplser
US Bank Plaza

Postby mplser » March 8th, 2014, 12:09 am

what has moved into gaviidae? last time I was there it still seemed pretty vacant

Aville_37
Union Depot

Postby Aville_37 » March 16th, 2014, 9:58 pm

Ann Taylor has closed.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » March 17th, 2014, 8:49 am

I thought she reads the news on NPR....

ndokken
City Center

Postby ndokken » March 17th, 2014, 10:28 am

Dunn Brothers is opening a location in the skyway inside the Accenture Building. Unsure if thats been mentioned.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » March 17th, 2014, 10:30 am

Didn't another Caribou recently open up over that way?

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » March 17th, 2014, 12:40 pm

Have they started renovation on that wing? I would think it is pretty much empty now with Ann Taylor gone...Shame none of the stores relocated to city center or elsewhere downtown...retail seems to continue to diminish in the core. I wonder if D'Amico and Caribou are staying put, or if they will be displaced by the reno.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » March 17th, 2014, 1:04 pm

Ann Taylor was a store that road off the coattails of Neiman Marcus. Doesn't surprise me it closed. If Nicollet Mall is to improve as a retail street it really needs some new blood with a few big names or a new department store to draw people in and especially the new residents living nearby. Otherwise I think it will continue to slowly wither. That said, Washington Ave appears to be have an increasing pedestrian oriented shopping scene , and maybe that's evolving into the new retail core as downtown grows.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » March 17th, 2014, 1:30 pm

I think that it is just a matter of time before we see a resurrection of retail downtown. Will be interesting to see what for stores locate in the north loop and which will decide on the core. I really don't think that many of those that live downtown will want to have to head to a mall to shop. As you see the number of people living in downtown increase, remember that some of the biggest projects have yet to open, you will see more people finding stores downtown. The number of workforce workers is there, now we need the residential that will make the weekends worth while.

Like Uptown/Lynlake, the real numbers will be coming online in the next 6to 18 months. You will be seeing a good increase in foot traffic this spring and summer on the Mall. Just with the increased housing that is now open and only partially full, you are seeing interest in the Northloop .The stores spaces are there, they just need retailers that are looking to the long term to see what the potential is in 18 months. The secret is to get in on the ground floor where they can get the choice locations while they are available and the rents are still low to get off the ground. Rents will only go up from here once the Mall gets its redo.

HuskyGrad
Union Depot

Postby HuskyGrad » March 31st, 2014, 9:11 am

Any idea what's going in the storefront next to Barrio?

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » March 31st, 2014, 9:21 am

https://forum.streets.mn/viewtopic.php?f=13& ... ing#p19998

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » March 31st, 2014, 10:15 am

Ling & Louie's Kitchen. Asian fusion chain.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

HuskyGrad
Union Depot

Postby HuskyGrad » March 31st, 2014, 12:50 pm

https://forum.streets.mn/viewtopic.php?f=13& ... ing#p19998
Thank you, well before I ventured into this forum after moving down from Duluth.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » March 31st, 2014, 1:31 pm

I certainly didn't intend for the link to be read as a dismissive "you should already know this". It was more of a "Here it is, over in the restaurant thread". Sorry if that was misinterpreted.

HuskyGrad
Union Depot

Postby HuskyGrad » March 31st, 2014, 2:29 pm

I certainly didn't intend for the link to be read as a dismissive "you should already know this". It was more of a "Here it is, over in the restaurant thread". Sorry if that was misinterpreted.
It was not. Thank you again for the link.

Scott16475
City Center

Postby Scott16475 » May 8th, 2014, 11:46 am

Wasn't there talk of a major retailer currently not in the Twin Cities looking at a location downtown? Any more information come from this discussion?

Aville_37
Union Depot

Postby Aville_37 » May 10th, 2014, 7:40 pm

Wasn't there talk of a major retailer currently not in the Twin Cities looking at a location downtown? Any more information come from this discussion?
I hope so! Minneapolis really seems to come alive in the evenings with people dining out and going to bars, concerts, etc. Downtown needs to create some type of draw for day-time visitors. Looking at other cities - retail is a huge factor. I wish the Children's Museum was still located downtown. Making downtown more family friendly and teen-friendly (and safe) also needs to happen.