Stadium Parking Ramp Development Site - 25 stories / 294'

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Nathan
Capella Tower

Re: Stadium Parking Ramp Air Rights Development

Postby Nathan » March 20th, 2014, 4:29 pm

they are on skyscraper city... it is quite the he said she said rumor...
when they were talking about the project on the news, they said final plans had to be in by the end if April in order to start constructing the ramp in time to comply with the contractual parking obligation for the stadium... ramp construction is supposed to be this fall. so they don't really have a ton of time to come up with revised plans.

obviously 50 story building would be cool, but still belongs in the rumor thread until something gets announced.
Last edited by Nathan on March 20th, 2014, 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » March 20th, 2014, 4:29 pm

Reading on other forums it would seem your very well done 3d model might be to short. With rumors of a building as tall 50 floors and with construction not even set to begin on this block for some time reworking the numbers is as "simple" as plugging numbers into math formulas to see what would work. A building this tall would really anchor the skyline well.
I don't know, I personally don't think a 50 story building 7 blocks from the downtown core would really look right. To me, it'd seem very Atlanta. I love how compact the tall core office buildings are here. I think the rendered height is appropriate for this block, with future supertall buildings filling in lots closer to the others along Nicollet and Marquette.

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Postby Minneboy » March 20th, 2014, 5:08 pm

Two ways to make a signature building standout is it make it the tallest or have it far from the crowd. Having a wonderful design is a big plus.

City slicker

Postby City slicker » March 20th, 2014, 5:21 pm

Remember a couple months ago when the Mpls mayor said this spot would be an iconic addition or something in that realm to Minneapolis? I could see a 50 story tower fitting this description. But not what's currently proposed.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » March 20th, 2014, 6:07 pm

Remember a couple months ago when the Mpls mayor said this spot would be an iconic addition or something in that realm to Minneapolis? I could see a 50 story tower fitting this description. But not what's currently proposed.
How many stories is City Center? Tall doesn't mean iconic...

Tall can be cool, let's not play around. It also doesn't always mean better.

I don't really care which way this goes... but I think it would be awesome if we didn't saturate the market in one building and could fill more surface lots (and that there is room for Magellan to build their own big project somewhere... and maybe Brunsfield too :) ).

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » March 20th, 2014, 6:22 pm

It was I who heard the rumor. A few days ago, I spoke at length with a gentleman working at the Nic on Fifth leasing office about their project and other downtown projects. He told me Magellan and Ryan were considering a 50 story tower at the ramp, and not what was seen in the media. Now that's what he told me and I was just reporting it as purely a rumor. I have no clue if it's credible information or not. Anyways, I'm quite happy with the very attractive proposal as seen in the media, and it will be a great asset to DTE if built.
Last edited by John on March 20th, 2014, 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

uptowncarag

Postby uptowncarag » March 20th, 2014, 6:58 pm

So how many stories is this building. One story says the city approves the 35 story Ryan project? How many stories is the ramp?

City slicker

Postby City slicker » March 20th, 2014, 7:53 pm

So how many stories is this building. One story says the city approves the 35 story Ryan project? How many stories is the ramp?
This is also what I was wondering.. I thought I heard the ramp was 7. So does that mean 7 plus the 27 or 28 equaling 35? The height is listed at 312 feet so I'm a little confused myself. Perhaps it's 27 including the ramp.. That would make the 312' seem right.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » March 20th, 2014, 8:23 pm

The project is only partially built on the ramp -- most of the project is built on the liner parcel that was set aside, and so goes straight down to the ground. So, no, the floor counts don't include the ramp, because this building is mostly next to it, not on top of it.

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » March 20th, 2014, 9:20 pm

when they were talking about the project on the news, they said final plans had to be in by the end if April in order to start constructing the ramp in time to comply with the contractual parking obligation for the stadium... ramp construction is supposed to be this fall. so they don't really have a ton of time to come up with revised plans.

obviously 50 story building would be cool, but still belongs in the rumor thread until something gets announced.
So, if someone hears Starbucks is going to go in one of the retail spots, should that go in the "Rumors" thread too? Sheesh. It was something somebody heard from a source that is specifically about this project. Not sure why it should go anywhere but here.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » March 20th, 2014, 9:59 pm

So, if someone hears Starbucks is going to go in one of the retail spots, should that go in the "Rumors" thread too? Sheesh. It was something somebody heard from a source that is specifically about this project. Not sure why it should go anywhere but here.
you understand the difference. one rumor is a completely different building structurally, and architecturally. a specific retail tenant isnt actual development/architecture news that changes tens of millions of dollars in planning and logistics. this a specific thread that talks about whats actually proposed and currently public knowledge. it's different than a one thread general topic about Minneapolis development (skyscraper city) there's order here for a reason. it's not that hard to post rumors in a rumors thread.

bubzki2
Foshay Tower

Postby bubzki2 » March 22nd, 2014, 7:34 pm

http://kstp.com/news/stories/S3366348.shtml

35 stories? A little confusing though.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » March 22nd, 2014, 8:42 pm

I think the headline writer just pulled 35 stories out of his ass. In the video clip, the reporter talked about modifying the design of the six or seven story parking ramp to make sure it could accommodate about 17 stories of building on top of it. So, 25-26 stories, just like the renderings seem to show. 35 stories is never mentioned at all.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

City slicker

Postby City slicker » March 23rd, 2014, 1:59 am

It amazes me how everything proposed in Minneapolis shrinks. Now we're down from 27 to what 23? 17 on top of 6 is 23.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » March 23rd, 2014, 9:48 am

Damn you free market economy! If ONLY you knew what was good for you!

skyrab

Postby skyrab » March 23rd, 2014, 10:42 am

It amazes me how everything proposed in Minneapolis shrinks. Now we're down from 27 to what 23? 17 on top of 6 is 23.
It's COLD! and well you know...shrinkage :oops:

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » March 23rd, 2014, 11:11 am

Bot?
Towns!

MSPtoMKE
Rice Park

Postby MSPtoMKE » March 23rd, 2014, 12:07 pm

Bot?
Are you accusing Nathan of having a predictable comment, when it is in response to a complaint about a building not being tall enough? :-/
My flickr photos.

City slicker

Postby City slicker » March 23rd, 2014, 3:46 pm

It's not a complaint.. It's amusement. Who cares how tall it is- IMO shrinking the floor count on every building proposed in Minneapolis is more amazing than some overrated tall building. It's fits the name "MINNE"apolis

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » March 25th, 2014, 8:43 am

I wouldn't really pay attention to any details from KSTP...they are constantly getting things wrong, showing wrong pictures/renderings. When this first came out, they showed the original Wells Fargo renderings from Ryan, and called them "new sketches" of a building that wasn't even in them. They pretty much suck at any kind of development news. I would stick to business journal and downtown journal stories for details, they are much better.