The Hilton Rochester (former Broadway at Center project)

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Re: New 24-story mixed use tower (CJ's Midtown Lounge site)

Postby Minneboy » March 27th, 2014, 8:14 pm

I'm mixed about the site. The entire southern side of this building will be blocked by the city's tallest, one big hulking ugly parking ramp across Broadway, why that was ever approved I'll never know. God I miss Michael's. I wonder if it's still as good as it was decades ago.

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Re: The Broadway at Center - Rochester

Postby go4guy » March 28th, 2014, 6:51 am

I dont get this proposal either. Unless I am missing something on the positioning of this building. If it is on the other corner, that is one thing, but if the mass is right on Broadway, that seems weird to put it right up against that other high rise. Differnt in Minneapolis or any other big city, but Rochester has a lot more room to spread things out a bit for the time being.

mulad

Postby mulad » April 23rd, 2014, 9:09 pm

Update on F&C: http://finance-commerce.com/2014/04/roc ... -advances/

This project has gotten preliminary approval from the city council, but still needs final approval.

The article says 24 floors: 15 for the hotel (187 rooms including some with kitchenettes and larger suites), 6 for apartments (84 units), 2 floors for retail/restaurant space, and one utility level. Residents will be allowed to make use of the pool areas, fitness center, and other amenities.

More than 410,000 square feet, with a FAR of 17.24.

There appears to be some concern about the skyway connectivity on the part of at least one city council member -- it's planned to have connections to the west and south to start, and the design includes an option for a north skyway, though that runs counter to the Downtown Master Plan, which recommends against continued outward expansion of the system (but allows filling in missing links in the CBD).

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Postby Minneboy » April 24th, 2014, 6:56 pm

I'm all for Rochester's continued development, especially when it comes to highrises. This building is banal as is much of Rochester's larger buildings. Also it would be nice if someone built something taller and with a bit of panache. http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/m ... ge_gallery

David Greene
IDS Center

Re: The Broadway at Center. Downtown Rochester.

Postby David Greene » April 24th, 2014, 9:10 pm

Apparently there are enough sane people in Rochester who have made a fuss and there will be no chance of a parking ramp over E. Center St. Supposedly it was just a sketch from a developer and not an actual plan. But maybe the developer of Broadway at Center really thought a giant parking ramp straddling a city street would be a great urban statement helping to command higher rents. You never know.
http://goo.gl/maps/kiEJW

What, you don't like it?

StoJa9

Postby StoJa9 » April 24th, 2014, 10:40 pm

https://www.google.com/maps/@44.023477, ... KYO2jQ!2e0

There already is one that does that on WEST Center Street.

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Postby Minneboy » April 25th, 2014, 6:50 am

Geesh what is that one that crosses from the Gonda to Methodist Hospital, an 8 floor skyway?

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » April 25th, 2014, 8:17 am

I confirmed with my Rochester folk about a year ago that there won't be more parking ramps built over streets, despite that rendering for E. Center St.

bubzki2
Foshay Tower

Postby bubzki2 » March 19th, 2015, 7:31 am

A nice article in the Post Bulletin that mentions this project. Curious as to current status, though. Perhaps the H3 project is currently taking most of their time (which is looking good in its own right, btw).

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » April 30th, 2015, 2:24 pm

23-Story, 4-Star Hotel to Break Ground ‘within Weeks’
http://dmc.mn/blog/23-story-4-star-hote ... a232fba7a8

"The proposed project will include 264 rooms, presidential and executive suites, and 33 apartments for longer-term residents and patients."

That's a change from a year ago, when 187 rooms were planned with 84 residential units.

bubzki2
Foshay Tower

Postby bubzki2 » April 30th, 2015, 2:31 pm

Bummer on the reduction/elimination of actual residential units. There is a serious lack of housing near the core of the city, and rental is nearly impossible to find. I know because I was in the market and found basically none available.

bubzki2
Foshay Tower

Postby bubzki2 » July 17th, 2015, 11:07 am

bubzki2
Foshay Tower

Postby bubzki2 » February 18th, 2016, 3:01 pm

At the CUDE meeting today I caught some details on the project while the Parking Ramp #6 was being discussed:

-Breaking ground hopefully yet this year on both the Tower and the #6 ramp for a 2018 completion.
-Renderings of BAC still show roughly 23 floors.
-#6 ramp will fill out the remainder of the block that presently contains the Residences at Broadway building.
-The rail ROW may be spanned by the new ramp, creating a very pleasing-looking arcade on both ends.
-The #6 ramp ROW may include provisions for future LRT service (it is located on a spur rail line, but the alignment for LRT is still decades away from their estimation)

Perhaps most exciting, is that the ramp can be structurally built to support 100 units of residential above the ramp, culminating in a 16-floors-as-shown tower, along with a green roof above the remainder of the ramp.

Adjacent to the rail, various options were presented, including a space for food trucks, street parking, or a line of retail. The BAC hotel's lobby will push into the ramp's footprint, and will have glass along Center St., as proposed.

The Rochester COW meeting will discuss this further on March 14. I may try to attend.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » February 18th, 2016, 3:12 pm

If they're building a new ramp here, hopefully they can remove the old ramp spanning Center Street on the other side of Broadway.

bubzki2
Foshay Tower

Postby bubzki2 » February 18th, 2016, 3:27 pm

At first I thought that's what this was about, but alas.

There are definitely rumors of extending the Galleria into the old Michaels space - and I think (hope) that ramp would change at that time.

matthew5080
Rice Park

Postby matthew5080 » February 18th, 2016, 4:15 pm

Are the renderings still the same as the last time we saw it?

Don't one of the Chafoulias developers basically own that entire piece of broadway? If so, it wouldn't surprise me if they extended the Galleria/University Square into the old Michael's space.

bubzki2
Foshay Tower

Postby bubzki2 » February 18th, 2016, 4:25 pm

Yes, the BAC tower looks the same as the last rendering from what I could tell.

matthew5080
Rice Park

Postby matthew5080 » February 18th, 2016, 5:52 pm

Were you able to get photos of what the renderings for the ramp and tower above it look like? Or are they releasing those soon?

bubzki2
Foshay Tower

Postby bubzki2 » February 19th, 2016, 9:27 am

I did not "snap" any photos as no one else had done so that I could tell. I checked the city council packet from the previous meeting, and that presentation had been omitted. I think the PB also picked up on this proposal.

matthew5080
Rice Park

Postby matthew5080 » May 16th, 2016, 12:12 am

I'm still a bit confused regarding the name change for the building on Emporis. Any ideas? Has there been any movement on this project?

http://www.emporis.com/buildings/124023 ... ter-mn-usa