The Skyline

Introductions - Urban Issues - Miscellaneous News, Topics, Interests
ECtransplant
US Bank Plaza

Re: Manhattanization

Postby ECtransplant » April 28th, 2014, 2:44 pm

We need to fill in the surface lots and have land become valuable enough that 6 story stick apartments aren't the default before we can claim Manhattanization

Viktor Vaughn
Target Field

Postby Viktor Vaughn » April 28th, 2014, 2:53 pm

It's great to see *two* highrise apartment buildings, but no, Minneapolis is not Manhattanizing.

I would be critical of the Biz Journal's empty reporting, but it must be really hard work to summarize behind-the-paywall Finance and Commerce articles and pass it off as journalism.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » April 28th, 2014, 3:14 pm

They're all summarizing a WSJ article:
http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB1 ... 20418.html

Viktor Vaughn
Target Field

Postby Viktor Vaughn » April 28th, 2014, 3:30 pm

Yep, I realized this time they were Minneapolizing a WSJ article, I was just referring to their usual business model stripping paywalled F&C articles of their useful details and posting them for free*.

*- Subject to obnoxiously over-the-top advertising.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » April 28th, 2014, 4:07 pm

Yep, I realized this time they were Minneapolizing a WSJ article, I was just referring to their usual business model stripping paywalled F&C articles of their useful details and posting them for free*.

*- Subject to obnoxiously over-the-top advertising.
They weren't actually Minneapolizing the article in the WSJ... the WSJ used Mpls as a case...

And technically it's 4 towers right? Marq 4, Nic, LPM, and the Stadium Air rights Ramp... along with Soo Line and all of the infill buildings in NL I'd say we're getting a pretty urban/dense population DT over the next few years.

Obviously we have a lot more room to grow... but this is big for our city, our DT is growing in population not just office SF and it's been a LONG time since that has happened.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » April 28th, 2014, 4:48 pm

Well, the WSJ article was just talking about the two that are almost finished, not the two that have yet to break ground, but you're right. This boom isn't over quite yet.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » April 28th, 2014, 7:16 pm

I'd be pleased with Vancouverization. So many Minneapolitans literally afraid of all shadows.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » April 28th, 2014, 9:21 pm

This is for the skyscraper addicts on here. While MPLS maybe just getting going on the urbanization business, we are one of 8 cities in the US, according to skyscraperpage.com to have over 100 skyscrapers in our city. 1st is NYC with 1004, 2nd is Chicago with 467, 3rd is LA with 268, 4th is Seattle with 168, we/MPLS have 154, we are in front of Las Vegas with 152, Atlanta with 120 and San Fran with 102. So the next time someone says we don't have enough skyscrapers, we are 5th in the nation!! Curious where we will be in 2020.

My bad, Those are building that they have diagrams for in their database. But it does show that we have people in the metro that keep that pretty close to up to date. Go down are few more post and you will se a link to where we stand overall. We have a lot of high rises here in MPLS/St. Paul and the metro area. We are 67th world wide so I guess that is pretty good. Too last to see what cities are ahead of us.

Foot note: Looks like any building over 30 meters is considered a skyscraper. But that works out to about a 9-12 story building depending on the height between floors. Also there maybe some unreported building in MPLS and other cities as well. In MPLS Nic on 5th is missing, but the proposed WF towers and Marq 4 are posted.
Last edited by Wedgeguy on April 28th, 2014, 10:14 pm, edited 4 times in total.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » April 28th, 2014, 9:26 pm

Just out of curiosity, what is the definition of "skyscraper" for that stat?

Silophant

Postby Silophant » April 28th, 2014, 9:34 pm

What's their definition of a skyscraper? Not that Wikipedia is 100% accurate, but it shows only 36 buildings taller than 300 ft in Minneapolis, and even if the rest of the metro is included (read: St. Paul and that one tower in Bloomington) I can't imagine getting up to 154. Minneapolis does have a very respectable skyline though.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » April 28th, 2014, 9:35 pm

Miami certainly has more than Minniapolis.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » April 28th, 2014, 9:46 pm

Miami certainly has more than Minniapolis.
Miami and Miami Beach combined had a total of 90 that they have in their database. Philadelphia and Detroit each had 91. they were the only others to break above 90 in their data base.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » April 28th, 2014, 9:48 pm

http://skyscraperpage.com/cities/?10=1

#17 on this strange list- Mexico is an entity in itself.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » April 28th, 2014, 9:53 pm

Seems fishy. Just visually, looking over downtown Minneapolis vs, Miami in Flyover mode it doesn't jive. Must be counting some pretty stubby buildings as skyscrapers outside the downtowns, like the low income towers outside downtown, or a few of the buildings northwest of Lake Calhoun.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » April 28th, 2014, 10:00 pm

Nick Magrino
[email protected]

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » April 28th, 2014, 10:36 pm

18 USA/ 22 NA/ 76 global
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » April 29th, 2014, 7:45 am

Can I merge this thread with "Apartment Boom" or "The Skyline"? Which one seems a better fit?

IllogicalJake
Target Field

Postby IllogicalJake » April 29th, 2014, 7:50 am

Just out of curiosity, what is the definition of "skyscraper" for that stat?
People here seem confused... Skyscraper Page maintains a database of community-made, to-scale diagrams for tall buildings in cities all over the world. I'm familiar with the site, I've made a few. Nowhere do they say that all those buildings are considered "skyscrapers," and the number of buildings in their database really means a more active community making diagrams than anything else. Also, it's far from an accurate number. A building isn't counted among the list until a diagram is made for it, and many notable buildings are still without them. It's slightly interesting, but it's a pretty useless stat.

TL;DR: that number doesn't represent the number of skyscrapers in MSP, or anywhere.
i talk too much. web dev, downtown. admin @ tower.ly

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » April 29th, 2014, 8:10 am

Can I merge this thread with "Apartment Boom" or "The Skyline"? Which one seems a better fit?
Apartment boom, me thinks... at least that is what the article is related to, it's trailed on to skyline...

mplser
US Bank Plaza

Postby mplser » April 29th, 2014, 11:30 am

http://skyscraperpage.com/cities/?10=1

#17 on this strange list- Mexico is an entity in itself.
Mexico city, maybe?