Mozaic (all phases)

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
TommyT
Target Field

Re: Mozaic

Postby TommyT » April 28th, 2014, 3:03 pm

Maybe perfect opportunity for an iconic uptown office tower at the empty Calhoun Square lot? Ohhhhh maybe mixed use retail/office/residential!?!?!

*Separate thought* In my opinion they should have called them Mozaic and Mo2aic. Kind of stupid but also kind of cool in a corny way.

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » April 28th, 2014, 3:09 pm

I've been debating signing up for CrashPlan for quite literally years. If me doing so is what gets Code42 to move to Uptown and gets Ackerberg to build that office building, I'll sign up tonight :)
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » April 28th, 2014, 3:16 pm

Hot damn! I'd guess this certainly speeds up the timeline for developing the Calhoun Square vacant lot. I'd expect hotel and/or office there. Definitely some office component with this beast already fully pre-leased.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » April 28th, 2014, 5:37 pm

This is certainly the most beautiful and artfully designed office building to go up in this city in a long long time. It will have a tremendously positive impact on Uptown to have Code42 headquartered here. :D :D :D

Azel
Metrodome

Postby Azel » April 29th, 2014, 5:49 am

If Code42 does bring more than 1,000 workers into Uptown, I wonder what some of the ripple impacts (positive or negative) will be from this project on things like parking, restaurants, retail, housing, hotels, transit, office market, etc.
Thoughts?

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » April 29th, 2014, 5:55 am

Maybe they'll pay for protected bike lanes on Lake/Lagoon as an amenity for their employees like Amazon did in Seattle. A guy can dream, right?

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » April 29th, 2014, 9:56 am

Maybe they'll pay for protected bike lanes on Lake/Lagoon as an amenity for their employees like Amazon did in Seattle. A guy can dream, right?
I guess I'm a little confused as to why that's needed since the Mozaic complex fronts the Midtown Greenway and there is an exit/ entrance ramp for the bikeway adjoining it :?:

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » April 29th, 2014, 11:01 am

The same reason we need car access to University Ave when I-94 is just a few blocks south.

mplser
US Bank Plaza

Postby mplser » April 29th, 2014, 12:08 pm

I'd really like to see some renderings from a vantage point on Lagoon but I like this building a lot as pictured.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » April 29th, 2014, 1:18 pm

Cool, I didn't realize the south face bent in the middle, that's actually pretty awesome.

Archiapolis
US Bank Plaza

Postby Archiapolis » April 29th, 2014, 2:20 pm

I'd really like to see some renderings from a vantage point on Lagoon but I like this building a lot as pictured.
Whoa! Not what I expected...I assumed that they were wiping out the Bar Abilene building...Oh noes...I'm actually very disappointed that this doesn't front Lagoon.

holmstar
Nicollet Mall

Postby holmstar » April 29th, 2014, 3:20 pm

If Code42 does bring more than 1,000 workers into Uptown, I wonder what some of the ripple impacts (positive or negative) will be from this project on things like parking, restaurants, retail, housing, hotels, transit, office market, etc.
Thoughts?
Well, dropping in a few hundred software engineers/IT professionals probably won't help bring down the cost of apartment rental, or anything else for that matter, but maybe it could trigger the development of a more substantial apartment or condo building. IE: not a six story stick construction.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » April 29th, 2014, 5:46 pm

Whoa! Not what I expected...I assumed that they were wiping out the Bar Abilene building...Oh noes...I'm actually very disappointed that this doesn't front Lagoon.
They don't own that building, it was never a possibility.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » April 29th, 2014, 6:33 pm

It's a good thing it doesn't front Lagoon. We need small parcels in this district.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » April 29th, 2014, 9:34 pm

The same reason we need car access to University Ave when I-94 is just a few blocks south.
No, John has a great point -- there is already a private hi-way for bicycles. Nothing else is necessary.

But yes, one can certainly dream.

Archiapolis
US Bank Plaza

Postby Archiapolis » April 30th, 2014, 8:10 am

It's a good thing it doesn't front Lagoon. We need small parcels in this district.
You write with authority on this subject. Do you mind explaining why it is a "good thing" to retain the Bar Abilene building? Further, would you mind explaining why small parcels are a good thing in this specific area/place? I'll reserve my comments until I see your response.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » April 30th, 2014, 8:52 am

I'll let Sean defend his own comment, but I agree with him on this.

What benefit would there be to tearing down the existing two-story mixed-use retail and office building? It houses two bars and has office space for small business on the upper level. The street frontage is decent, and could easily be improved to have an entrance at the corner, if a tenant other than Bar Abilene ever went in. If Mozaic East was tearing this building down, I see no guarantees that the street frontage or number of doors would be any better. Walls (probably doorless) of glassy office space along Lagoon would not be an improvement.
They don't own that building, it was never a possibility.
Huh?? Ackerberg does own that building. It was absolutely a possibility. At one point they talked about tearing down Lagoon Theater as well and (maybe/maybe not) incorporating it into Mozaic East. Hopefully with the influx of new well-to-do residents, Lagoon Theater is here to stay (or would return in a new building if the Lagoon frontage is redeveloped).

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » April 30th, 2014, 9:04 am

Walls (probably doorless) of glassy office space along Lagoon would not be an improvement.
This.

fehler
Rice Park

Postby fehler » April 30th, 2014, 10:22 am

Good thing Bar Abilene doesn't have a rooftop terrace, or we'd see a fight. Might still see a fight.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » April 30th, 2014, 10:29 am

I like the idea of retaining the smaller parcels lining Lagoon, however, both the Bar Abilene building and especially the theater are pretty lame designs and not much to write home about. A lot of the exterior of the Lagoon Theater is a blank wall along the street. The theater should really be updated /redeveloped to be somewhat taller with a more distinct and lively exterior along Lagoon.