Kraus-Anderson, HQ Apartments, Finnegans "Brewtel" - 9th St S/5th Ave S

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
minnyapple
Nicollet Mall

Kraus-Anderson, HQ Apartments, Finnegans "Brewtel" - 9th St S/5th Ave S

Postby minnyapple » May 6th, 2014, 9:56 am

Mod note: The project was significantly expanded to include residential, hotel, and brewery components after the initial proposal for the office building alone was shot down: https://forum.streets.mn/viewtopic.php?f ... 140#p96271

Kraus Anderson plans to build a new $15 million, 80,000-square-foot headquarters building.
The headquarters is scheduled to open in 2015. Kraus-Anderson will then raze the old building to redevelop the land and an adjacent surface parking lot into something that adds density and takes advantage of the booming Downtown East development district, Kraus Anderson Vice President Mike Korsh said in an interview.
Heres the article and rendering. http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/b ... polis.html

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Re: New Kraus-Anderson HQ (8th St. S/5th Ave. S)

Postby mamundsen » May 6th, 2014, 10:08 am

I was wondering when this would be announced. I recently interviewed with Kraus-Anderson's Circle Pines office and they asked about my ability to work downtown. They kept saying "we are moving next year" but I knew there was not an official announcement yet.

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Postby nordeast homer » May 6th, 2014, 10:13 am

I like the move and I really like the portion of the article that talks about future development on the rest of the downtown property. They hinted at residential and office. I didn't realize they had a mortgage and insurance side to their business.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » May 6th, 2014, 10:14 am

it's amazing to see some of the little things that are basically no brainers that I've thought about finally coming to fruition. to see this block gone will be a great day for Elliott park and dte

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » May 6th, 2014, 10:26 am

Any idea on the perspective of that rendering? It's clearly looking west/southwest since there aren't towers in any other direction. But it shows the AT&T tower behind it (which is down 9th St) whereas that tower would be blocked by the Campbell Mithun Tower if looking down 8th St.

My concern is that, regardless of the perspective, the building will be on the SE corner of 8th/5th -- between their current building and the Normandy Inn. But the rendering shows plenty of windows, K/A signage, a cantilevered area for 3rd/4th floors, and an inset entrance on the EAST side of the building. That's the mid-block face of the proposed building, which would face a surface parking lot and/or the mentioned development. Thus it appears they are not planning to truly develop the block, and there would be some sort of inconsistency in the sidewalk frontage along South 8th Street. Hopefully that can be changed as this moves forward.

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » May 6th, 2014, 10:33 am

this is great news. a company choosing to stay downtown and expand. downtown east is rather active construction zone next few years.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » May 6th, 2014, 10:41 am

Any idea on the perspective of that rendering? It's clearly looking west/southwest since there aren't towers in any other direction. But it shows the AT&T tower behind it (which is down 9th St) whereas that tower would be blocked by the Campbell Mithun Tower if looking down 8th St.

My concern is that, regardless of the perspective, the building will be on the SE corner of 8th/5th -- between their current building and the Normandy Inn. But the rendering shows plenty of windows, K/A signage, a cantilevered area for 3rd/4th floors, and an inset entrance on the EAST side of the building. That's the mid-block face of the proposed building, which would face a surface parking lot and/or the mentioned development. Thus it appears they are not planning to truly develop the block, and there would be some sort of inconsistency in the sidewalk frontage along South 8th Street. Hopefully that can be changed as this moves forward.
I wouldn't rule out the incredible stupidity of renderings, especially when trying to place a structure into any actual context

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » May 6th, 2014, 10:43 am

True. I'm hoping the entrance will be right on the corner, and the sides of the buildings facing the interior of the block will be more attuned to future infill.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » May 6th, 2014, 10:51 am

Strangely enough, I looked at property tax records, and Kraus Anderson doesn't actually own their building, but they do own the rest of the block (except for a lane of parking west of the building). 8th St Properties owns the building and the lane of property (which is probably just a trust or holding company that Kraus also controls). The land they do own is split into 5 lots (well, technically Kruas Anderson owns one lot, Kraus Anderson owns the other four ;)). It's interesting how developers don't assemble these lots into a single lot when they buy them all, instead choosing to let them remain separate. The parking lot blocks north of this site is like that as well.

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Postby Minneboy » May 6th, 2014, 10:59 am

Is Pope the same firm that designed the Target HQ and the new Xcel HQ? They have so many of the same elements.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » May 6th, 2014, 11:56 am

Looking at Google Maps and Street View, it's not hard to see how this rendering works. Granted, there's the Campbell Mithun Tower that is in front of the AT&T Building shown off to the west in this rendering. but it's not a bad perspective.

I hope this does coincide with the Sexton II proposal. Hopefully the other future plans for the other lots will persuade the Armory lot and the Best Western Normandy Inn & Suites property to change too.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » May 6th, 2014, 12:16 pm

I did look at streetview to see the perspective, and it's an awful design. Anyone think there will ever be anything other than a midblock parking lot on 8th St against that east face of the building? Not likely.
Edit: The design is not awful. The relationship to the interior of the block is awful.
Last edited by mattaudio on May 6th, 2014, 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » May 6th, 2014, 12:26 pm

I dont really see why they wouldnt. Most residential buildings are only half blocks. This would be a great spot for a residential tower. Really bring together DTE and Skyscape

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » May 6th, 2014, 12:43 pm

I dont really see why they wouldnt. Most residential buildings are only half blocks. This would be a great spot for a residential tower. Really bring together DTE and Skyscape
This would be the equivalent of Nic on 5th putting fancy windows on the backside where 4Marq would go, or Ryan Cos putting fancy windows on the back of the new WF buildings where future residential will go. By orienting the building with that much glass and investment towards the middle of the block, there will be little to no chance for any future infill to hug that building.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » May 6th, 2014, 12:49 pm

By orienting the building with that much glass and investment towards the middle of the block, there will be little to no chance for any future infill to hug that building.
Well thankfully this hasn't been presented to the City or been through any approval process yet. So hopefully things like adjacent plans, etc. can be addressed. I think it's a good project that can work just fine alongside another 4-6 story apartment or office building. I beg to differ that this is an awful design. But to each their own I guess.

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » May 6th, 2014, 1:57 pm

Will the new Xcel building not have any windows facing Nic on 5th? I honestly don't know, but I would assume they would have plenty of them. Would we rather have a blank wall like Thrivent Financial's building? I think this looks like a good project right here. Not everything needs to be tall.

tab
Metrodome

Postby tab » May 6th, 2014, 3:10 pm

I'm not sure the windows facing the interior of the block are a problem. The block with Park Ave Lofts and Mill District City Apartments (at Park & Washington) is rather charming. The courtyard created by the two buildings isn't public, but you can walk through politely (the gates aren't locked) and see how the space works. A more public courtyard of a similar design could be a great asset for the blocks surrounding the Kraus-Anderson HQ.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » May 6th, 2014, 3:13 pm

I'm not sure the windows facing the interior of the block are a problem. The block with Park Ave Lofts and Mill District City Apartments (at Park & Washington) is rather charming. The courtyard created by the two buildings isn't public, but you can walk through politely (the gates aren't locked) and see how the space works. A more public courtyard of a similar design could be a great asset for the blocks surrounding the Kraus-Anderson HQ.
Yessir

Aville_37
Union Depot

Postby Aville_37 » May 10th, 2014, 7:50 pm

Great news. More businesses headquartered downtown - more downtown works, redevelopment of surface parking lots in Elliot Park/DTE.

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » May 15th, 2014, 4:56 pm