LRT Disappointments

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
mulad

Re: LRT Disappointments

Postby mulad » May 5th, 2014, 8:09 am

I think the new diverging diamond interchange at I-494 also slowed down the Blue Line, at least for a while. My most recent ride through there seemed to go more quickly than previous trips through it, but I may have randomly hit it at a good time (or maybe my previous trips through there had been at random bad times).

eazydp
Metrodome

Postby eazydp » May 5th, 2014, 8:31 am

Anyone have a resource/link as to the point of a divergent diamond? I have used that intersection on bike, car and LRT and found the experience to be universally worse, especially on bike. Or is the answer simply slight better for peak demand car traffic?

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » May 5th, 2014, 8:59 am

Here's some discussion regarding the interchange elsewhere in the TPO forum:
https://forum.streets.mn/viewtopic.php?f=18& ... 724#p37724 "Street, Road, and Highway Projects"

The purpose of a diverging diamond is to facilitate greater automobile capacity between a freeway and a stroad when there's significant turning volume onto and off of the freeway (there usually is). In a standard DDI, there are two signal phases at each end of the interchange, as opposed to 3+ at a traditional interchange.

Opinion: It shocks me that we allowed this DDI to move forward in a way that made the Blue Line worse. It's almost as bad as the TED grant from DEED that paid for it: http://mn.gov/deed/government/financial ... ng/ted.jsp
Apparently economic development would be stifled without spending millions redoing a perfectly fine interchange.

It's also shameful how bad bike and walk connectivity is at 34th Ave across 494. I seem to remember David Levinson or someone else posting an image of this project noting the bike/walk deficiencies, but I can't find it. This interchange creates an even more severe barrier for development north of 494 (Ft. Snelling Cemetery and airline facilities (DL Building C / regional airlines HQ, DL Cargo, etc.) from the American Blvd LRT station. Not to mention that 34th Avenue is the "approved" bicycle approach to MSP (you'll get tazed/arrested if you bike the Terminal 1 access road). Finally, I'm not sure how further stroadification helps Bloomington create a valuable "South Loop District."

Chauncey87
Nicollet Mall

Postby Chauncey87 » May 5th, 2014, 3:05 pm

I was really disappointed to find out that my Metro Transit magnetic pass with a stored value does not work at the TVM's. Whenever I am taking the Blue line south it is not that big of a deal since I took a bus first and get the transfer. It is once I am heading back north that I feel bad since I "didn't" pay to board the train. I only pay once I transfer back to my local bus. So it isn't like I am stealing a free ride. I talked to a MTPD officer about it at the MOA and he said don't worry about it. I do worry that one day I am going to come across one that does have a Napoleon complex. :|

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » May 5th, 2014, 3:22 pm

Best get yourself a Go-To card, and fast. I'd bet if you really cared you could take that store value pass and have it put on a Go-To card.

As far as I know, the only objection to ditching the paper passes for the Go-To card is that some communities don't have access to the credit cards necessary to keep one loaded, but now you can go to a corner store and buy a paper Go-To card good for 10 rides, so I don't see a problem.

Basically, get yourself a Go-to card.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » May 5th, 2014, 3:52 pm

You can add value with cash! Yes, everyone should have a Go-To card.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

Chauncey87
Nicollet Mall

Postby Chauncey87 » May 5th, 2014, 4:00 pm

I tried to transfer the remaining balance onto a GO pass. I was told that in order to do that my pass had to have the full value on it.

LRV Op Dude
Union Depot

Postby LRV Op Dude » May 5th, 2014, 6:45 pm

I tried to transfer the remaining balance onto a GO pass. I was told that in order to do that my pass had to have the full value on it.

Not sure who told you that but try going to a Metro Transit Service Center. Maybe you should give Customer Relations first at 612-373-3333.
Blog: Old-Twin Cities Transit New-Twin Cities Transit

You Tube: Old, New

AKA: Bus Driver Dude

IllogicalJake
Target Field

Postby IllogicalJake » May 9th, 2014, 5:15 pm

I was nicely surprised today! I heard an automated announcement for a blue line train arriving in two minutes, and then an announcement that the train was arriving on track 1 when it arrived. There was still no time listed on the NexTrip displays, but I'm sure that's on its way. Great to see it rolling out.
i talk too much. web dev, downtown. admin @ tower.ly

Chava
Nicollet Mall

Postby Chava » May 9th, 2014, 5:20 pm

That's great! Make sure we're reporting that kind of stuff!

IllogicalJake
Target Field

Postby IllogicalJake » May 16th, 2014, 4:21 pm

I know this thread was started about inconsistent timing and incorrect signage, but I just witnessed a situation where an older woman had to use the emergency call button on the train and it did not work. Whether it wasn't functioning or went unanswered, I'm not sure. Passengers were getting involved and the situation was going on for at least three different stops before I reached mine.

I've followed up with MetroTransit with the car number. But, jeeze... I'm happy the situation wasn't anything more severe.
i talk too much. web dev, downtown. admin @ tower.ly

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » May 16th, 2014, 4:35 pm

Whoa. That's absolutely disappointing.

IllogicalJake
Target Field

Postby IllogicalJake » May 17th, 2014, 11:10 am

Whoa. That's absolutely disappointing.
They haven't responded to me about it, either. :|