Vikings Stadium Miscellaneous Discussion

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Re: Vikings Stadium

Postby min-chi-cbus » September 4th, 2012, 7:14 am

^I thought something pretty similar myself while watching the game, and then also thought "why can't Minneapolis look more like Dublin?" What a cool city!

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » September 4th, 2012, 7:17 am

Have you ever seen the Metrodome's configuration for basketball? Have you ever seen Lucas Oil's configuration for basketball? That's what the comparison is all about. The concept of a multipurpose NFL stadium has changed, and Lucas Oil and Cowboys Stadium are the prime examples.

It's starting to feel like a broken record, but even regardless of that, the Vikings' renderings hardly resemble Lucas Oil Stadium in any meaningful way. The only renderings that have been reminiscent of LAS at all -- that I can remember -- have been the Farmer's Market drawings, which I don't think were created by the Vikings anyway.

And whomever created that photo didn't realize that the grid in our downtown runs at a 45 degree angle to the rest of the city......meaning, you wouldn't see the grid by looking down Chicago Avenue, like the photo shows.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » September 4th, 2012, 9:16 am

Can we just start a game day type chant?
populous
Populous!
POPULOUS!
POPULOUS!!!

We can't have an Indianapolis style stadium, the last thing we need is a giant block E over in DTE. We need something visually stunning that even non fans like so that the neighborhood can grow and it can be a pride point for the city. it would fill in a gap in our starchitecture :) and hopefully inspire new greatness on that blank slate.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » September 4th, 2012, 9:41 am

populous
Populous!
POPULOUS!
POPULOUS!!!

We can't have an Indianapolis style stadium, the last thing we need is a giant block E over in DTE. We need something visually stunning that even non fans like so that the neighborhood can grow and it can be a pride point for the city. it would fill in a gap in our starchitecture :) and hopefully inspire new greatness on that blank slate.
I'm not pro-Lucas Oil Stadium for this location, but I would point out that in 2012, the more cutting edge the starchitecture, the crappier it tends to be from an urbanist perspective. See: Walker Art Center, etc. Not that there's much they could have really done with that location, but the blank walls and random grass circles in the parking lot-sized sidewalk don't help much.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » September 4th, 2012, 9:49 am

Pretty sure the stadium is going to suck from an urbanist perspective regardless. I do hope we don't build a giant barn.
Towns!

Ubermoose
Nicollet Mall

Postby Ubermoose » September 4th, 2012, 10:30 am

Pretty sure the stadium is going to suck from an urbanist perspective regardless. I do hope we don't build a giant barn.
You sound like my 12 year old. It's gonna suck! It can't be worse than what is there now.

LRV Op Dude
Union Depot

Postby LRV Op Dude » September 4th, 2012, 10:38 am

How about waiting and see what they come up with before criticizing the look.
Blog: Old-Twin Cities Transit New-Twin Cities Transit

You Tube: Old, New

AKA: Bus Driver Dude

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » September 4th, 2012, 11:15 am

You sound like my 12 year old. It's gonna suck! It can't be worse than what is there now.
ehh? I support the stadium in general. Feel feel to refute any statement I make but don't change the argument. And it's replacing the worst stadium in the country so I agree.
Towns!

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » September 4th, 2012, 12:17 pm

Ha! We can at least agree and be comforted in the knowledge that anything will look better than what we have now. That's actually a great situation to be in 8-)

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » September 4th, 2012, 1:36 pm

populous
Populous!
POPULOUS!
POPULOUS!!!

I'm not pro-Lucas Oil Stadium for this location, but I would point out that in 2012, the more cutting edge the starchitecture, the crappier it tends to be from an urbanist perspective. See: Walker Art Center, etc. Not that there's much they could have really done with that location, but the blank walls and random grass circles in the parking lot-sized sidewalk don't help much.
I disagree. It depends completely on the site and what is going on. It's impossible to think that a stadium this size is going to contribute much to urbanism, because it's a relatively static fixture that covers a huge amount of space. It might as well be visually dynamic. Our most recent starchitecture is actually Pelli's (architect for wells fargo tower) Central Library which is VERY urban in its footprint, and visual appeal. The Guthrie also fills it's place well. Target field though not totally starchitect is stunning and contributes immensely to the urban feel of that area. The Weisman is also, and fits into the U and urban fabric well. Then there is MacPhail which fits in perfectly. The Walker site is challenging, and some of us really like the minimalist plaza with grass circles. (though more could be done with the original plaza on the corner, but that isn't the starchitect's doing).

What I mean to get across there is that if you're ever giving someone an architecture tour of mpls you have a lot of cool but spread out buildings, DTE is a giant gap, so this would fill in some of that gap. and hopefully spur some other well thought out buildings to be constructed around it.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » September 4th, 2012, 2:27 pm

This is our one billion dollar, once in lifetime opportunity to do something spectacular for our city, state, and transform DTE into a phenomenal part of downtown. It should create international recognition for our city like the Aviva stadium does for Dublin. It should be the symbol of Minneapolis for the 21st century. IMO , that should be the conceptual framework that guides the architects in designing this facility.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » September 4th, 2012, 3:26 pm

Totally, and it looks like Aviva cost about 516 million dollars to build. Even if it is smaller and was built 5 years ago, nearly a billion should get us something equally as nice and stunning.

John21
Rice Park

Postby John21 » September 4th, 2012, 3:32 pm

After 2 lousy seasons and another on the way, forgive us for not having confidence in anything the Vikings do. ;)

Lancestar2

Postby Lancestar2 » September 4th, 2012, 4:22 pm

After 2 lousy seasons and another on the way, forgive us for not having confidence in anything the Vikings do. ;)
I'm confident Vikings will maintain the number 1 ranking in all of the NFL for most arrests and jail time by players :lol: ... that's the only thing they are REALLY good at!

Imagine how hard they would party if they ACTUALLY won a Superbowl :lol: let alone played in one!

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » September 4th, 2012, 5:17 pm

I think the rhetoric in this thread is getting a little extreme. Yes, Aviva Stadium looks nice, but does it really "create international recognition" for Dublin? Would anybody even know it was there if not for Notre Dame?

The reality is that most iconic sports stadiums are not necessarily known for their architecture, and the most stunning stadiums are generally not very famous. Minneapolis should build a top-end, aesthetically pleasing, and progressive stadium, but we shouldn't build something with the intention that it will make our city identifiable to Italians.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » September 4th, 2012, 5:51 pm

Knock, Knock, its time to wake up and realize we live in the 21st century. Minneapolis is a multicultural city with a bolder, more international character now. That's our future. Our contemporary architecture should reflect that. And why not have high expectations and ambition for a great stadium here?? That's ludicrous to say it's "extreme" to feel that way.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » September 4th, 2012, 9:44 pm

How many major international cities can you name that have a sports stadium as their defining architectural attraction?

Maybe New Orleans? Cardiff, Wales?

That's my point.

The Vikings stadium will certainly be an important piece in the larger fabric that is Minneapolis; an NFL stadium alone will not give Minneapolis international recognition.

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » September 5th, 2012, 6:29 am

that aviva stadium is amazing.

architectural firms presentation tomorrow at the dome. their work highlighted.
http://www.msfa.com/

LRV Op Dude
Union Depot

Postby LRV Op Dude » September 6th, 2012, 9:38 am

Blog: Old-Twin Cities Transit New-Twin Cities Transit

You Tube: Old, New

AKA: Bus Driver Dude

Rich
Rice Park

Postby Rich » September 6th, 2012, 9:40 pm

Ted Mondale says "all renderings and plans will probably be presented when a winner is selected, perhaps as early as the authority's Sept. 14 meeting." So maybe that means we'll get to see what was considered and rejected at the same time they announce the winning bid. Here's a story on tonight's event:

http://www.startribune.com/local/minnea ... 79236.html