Downtown Riverfront - Mill Ruins Park - Waterworks

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
swmpls
City Center

Re: Minneapolis Riverfront

Postby swmpls » February 18th, 2014, 10:38 pm

The MPLS Parks Foundation has released the updated plan of the Water Works site. It looks like 2018 construction if they can get funding.

http://mplsparksfoundation.org/2014/02/ ... sentation/

skyrab

Postby skyrab » February 18th, 2014, 11:17 pm

The MPLS Parks Foundation has released the updated plan of the Water Works site. It looks like 2018 construction if they can get funding.

http://mplsparksfoundation.org/2014/02/ ... sentation/
Really nice, thanks for sharing the link!

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » February 18th, 2014, 11:20 pm

Yep, there's a ton of promise in those plans. Here's hoping they can really do it right -- this is a special place that really deserves to be celebrated.

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » February 19th, 2014, 7:44 am

Yep, there's a ton of promise in those plans. Here's hoping they can really do it right -- this is a special place that really deserves to be celebrated.
QFT. ;)

But seriously, that. Those plans are amazing and would really highlight the entire reason MPLS is here.
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

5th Ave Guy
Landmark Center

Postby 5th Ave Guy » February 19th, 2014, 9:41 am

Wow, that would be outstanding. There's just too much history and potential being buried (literally) there right now.

Konante
Nicollet Mall

Postby Konante » February 19th, 2014, 11:32 am

Takes a while to get through that but wow is it worth doing. It's obvious a lot of hard work and knowledge went into it, and the ideas are terrific.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » February 19th, 2014, 3:38 pm

Cool!

What I'd like to see someday is the Mississippi River itself get reworked, where the falls and all of the hydroelectric and cargo functions currently are. I'd like to see that part of the river downtown get "beautified" without taking away the functionality of the river (keep the hydro power and keep the locks if they are still needed.....although I thought I heard they were doing away with the downtown lock). As it sits currently it's way too industrialized and it could be oh-so beautiful if done well. That would sync nicely with the Water Works project and the larger vision of making the Mississippi River through Minneapolis and St. Paul a focal point of programming entertainment.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » February 19th, 2014, 6:14 pm

Oh man this is making me all giddy. Hopefully something like this can be done by next year.

uptown067
Metrodome

Postby uptown067 » February 19th, 2014, 6:56 pm

This is awesome. I do worry, however, that funding something this transformative will be challenging given Park plans for DTE and the Gateway district. That said, this easily blows the other two out of the water.

EDIT: Can't forget the North Loop's efforts to develop a park as well.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » February 27th, 2014, 3:57 pm

This is a pretty amazing Idea for the use of old elevators...

http://www.dezeen.com/2014/02/27/heathe ... aterfront/

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Upper Mississippi -- No Locks For You

Postby lordmoke » May 16th, 2014, 11:18 am

nickmgray
Union Depot

Postby nickmgray » May 17th, 2014, 8:12 am

I'm hoping they can easily decomission it and turn it into a public space. Completely removing the lock will cost quite a bit. It would be nice if they turned it into a museum and made it a destination. They could easily put up a permanent seal on one of the lock doors and remove the channel lanes above and below the falls.

One other positive aspect of this is that the industrial businesses on the river north of the lock will probably want to find another spot further down river if they want to keep using barges for transportation of their cargo. It'll take a decade or two, but the west side of the Minneapolis riverfront will definitely see a development revival due to this decision.

garfield
City Center

Postby garfield » May 17th, 2014, 9:36 am

This must be hard for the businesses that do still use barges. Has anyone looked at the economic impact on those businesses? The one that immediately comes to my mind is Marshall Concrete at Lowry and Marshall...I know they get their sand hauled in on barges. And when you look across the river, you can see goods at the river's edge to be hauled away (they look like bundles of shingles). I know it is probably just a few businesses, but there are so few industrial/manufacturing businesses left in Minneapolis that it could be harmful when they leave.

Also, wasn't there a plan to put a marina on the river off of Broadway? I always thought that would be so cool...but if you can only go upstream, it would lose some of its luster!

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » May 17th, 2014, 3:40 pm

With closing of the Upper St. Anthony locks, why keep the Lower locks open or the Ford locks? Is there anything above the Ford locks that needs barge access?

HuskyGrad
Union Depot

Postby HuskyGrad » May 18th, 2014, 8:47 am

With closing of the Upper St. Anthony locks, why keep the Lower locks open or the Ford locks? Is there anything above the Ford locks that needs barge access?
My guess is for the cruises that operate from Bohemian Flats.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » May 22nd, 2014, 4:00 pm

This passed. The locks will be required to close within a year.
http://www.startribune.com/politics/sta ... 10401.html

dmdhashw
Nicollet Mall

Postby dmdhashw » May 23rd, 2014, 4:55 am

Can the locks be reopened once it's realized that this measure failed to stop the carp migration?

gpete
Union Depot

Postby gpete » May 23rd, 2014, 7:58 am

Congress can tell the Army Corps of Engineers to do whatever it wants, but this piece of legislation does not contain a provision about re-opening the lock.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » May 23rd, 2014, 9:14 am

Can the locks be reopened once it's realized that this measure failed to stop the carp migration?
What makes you think that the carp will be able to jump over St. Anthony Falls? Also, what makes you think that the costs to operate and maintain the locks for the benefit of a handful of commercial users will be more justifiable in the future than they are right now?

gpete
Union Depot

Postby gpete » May 23rd, 2014, 10:20 am

What makes you think that the carp will be able to jump over St. Anthony Falls? Also, what makes you think that the costs to operate and maintain the locks for the benefit of a handful of commercial users will be more justifiable in the future than they are right now?
That's the truth. The locks in Minneapolis aren't supporting a whole lot of economic activity. It's difficult to think of a scenario in the future when there would be a good reason to re-open them.

However, there are scenarios where Asian carp could end up above the falls despite the lock closure (they could already be north of the locks, accidentally sold as bait, large flooding event, etc).