U.S. Bank Stadium

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
MNdible
is great.

Re: Minnesota Multi Purpose Stadium

Postby MNdible » May 23rd, 2014, 1:19 pm

Here's an image, apparently from the official bid, that clearly indicates they intend to use both the armory and the giant tent.

And I can't point to a quote now, but I believe that they suggestion that Crashed Ice could be coordinated came from official sources, not from some random poster on the forum.

Anondson
IDS Center

Minnesota Multi Purpose Stadium

Postby Anondson » May 23rd, 2014, 1:21 pm

The NFL isn't going to let Red Bull come in and piggyback on the publicity of the league's marquee event.
So the NFL can force St. Paul to prevent every event for two weeks prior to the game? Uh huh.

ECtransplant
US Bank Plaza

Postby ECtransplant » May 23rd, 2014, 1:25 pm

The NFL actually is very heavy handed about stuff like this and likes to pretend it runs the city while it's there. If the NFL decides it doesn't want Crushed Ice during this time, it would absolutely try to block it

IllogicalJake
Target Field

Postby IllogicalJake » May 23rd, 2014, 1:26 pm

Now we just need to lift the ban on growler sales on Sunday and allow bars, clubs, restaurants to stay open later ... at least during the weeks surrounding the game day.
I wonder if the NFL knew when it made its decision that unless the law is changed, it will be illegal to buy beer during the Super Bowl in the host city. The ban really needs to be lifted before then or the media coverage will quickly start mocking Minneapolis for the ridiculousness. It's the type of thing that reinforces the perception of Minneapolis as some fly over backwater to people on the coasts
This was the case in Indy, and I don't remember any real problems stemming from it... Also of note, there was a special exception made by the city to allow open beverages outdoors and for bars to vend in the streets, which was accepted pretty well.
i talk too much. web dev, downtown. admin @ tower.ly

billhelm
Nicollet Mall

Postby billhelm » May 23rd, 2014, 1:26 pm

It'd probably be pretty impossible to get a hotel room for crashed ice if the Super Bowl is also in town. I assume people come from far enough for that to need a hotel, right?
given that many of the local hotels are already under contract with Meet Minneapolis for the superbowl, I'd say that's a fair statement.

IllogicalJake
Target Field

Postby IllogicalJake » May 23rd, 2014, 1:27 pm

The NFL actually is very heavy handed about stuff like this and likes to pretend it runs the city while it's there. If the NFL decides it doesn't want Crushed Ice during this time, it would absolutely try to block it
The NFL swept through Indy and made absolutely sure there were no "unauthorized" NFL displays - including a Colts jersey hanging in a storefront. It sounds kind of crazy, but they will practically own the city for a week or so.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » May 23rd, 2014, 1:36 pm

Oh I'm aware how heavy handed the NFL is regarding its brands. I'm sure they'd come down like a ton of bricks if there was a hint of impropriety. But did every city in the metro sign up to host? I'm also pretty sure the NFL wants the host to have awesome things going on for the fans to do while in town.

If Red Bull tried to brand Crashed Ice as having anything to do with the NFL or the "big game", yeah, Red Bull gets a smack. I don't see what would stop what is so far a regular winter event from happening. It just needs to be careful with how it is promoted.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » May 23rd, 2014, 1:50 pm

I stand corrected.
[Matt Kramer, president of the St. Paul Area Chamber of Commerce] hopes to see coordination between downtown museums, Winter Carnival events and Red Bull Crashed Ice, if it's held in St. Paul at the same time, to capture visitors.
http://www.twincities.com/localnews/ci_ ... lace-sized

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » May 23rd, 2014, 7:53 pm

Question about tailgating as a non football fan: Does tailgating actually require parked cars and buses in the context of the image MNdible posted? Or does it just essentially mean a big party with food and beer? Can people tailgate in the Yard without vehicles?

Chauncey87
Nicollet Mall

Postby Chauncey87 » May 23rd, 2014, 8:36 pm

Now we just need to lift the ban on growler sales on Sunday and allow bars, clubs, restaurants to stay open later ... at least during the weeks surrounding the game day.
I wonder if the NFL knew when it made its decision that unless the law is changed, it will be illegal to buy beer during the Super Bowl in the host city. The ban really needs to be lifted before then or the media coverage will quickly start mocking Minneapolis for the ridiculousness. It's the type of thing that reinforces the perception of Minneapolis as some fly over backwater to people on the coasts
While I want liquor stores to be open on Sunday. I do not see the worldwide press going out of there way to "mock" Minneapolis or all of MN for at this point being unable to go and buy a six pack on Sunday. The press and fans will just pump there cash into the bars instead.

Much has already been said about the Super Bowl. It is more then just a one day event. The teams, the press, and there entire entourage do not just fly in the day before the big game. There is almost a month or longer build up of all the displays, security zones, and media tents. That will provide a lot of coverage of Minneapolis-St. Paul. I also hope they say we are in Minneapolis during the whole event. So many people are geographically challenged.

To prove my point with out cheating who can tell me what city the New England Patriots play in? A bonus point for Tennessee Titans? My point is if the whole time the Super Bowl media is saying "here in MN" Instead of MPLS then the city will loose a fair amount free publicity. If you had to look up an answer do not worry as far as I can tell your not really big into the NFL. However my point was just made.

One more bonus bonus point What city do the New York Jets/Giants play in?

ECtransplant
US Bank Plaza

Postby ECtransplant » May 23rd, 2014, 8:43 pm

I'm a transplant from the east coast, so those probably aren't the best challenge questions to ask me if you're trying to prove a point

Chauncey87
Nicollet Mall

Postby Chauncey87 » May 24th, 2014, 4:43 pm

Arizona Cardinals? Golden State Warriors of the NBA?

My point still stands the Super Bowl brings in a significant amount of viewers that would otherwise not be watching football. Hence being geographically challenged. While that in and of itself is not a bad thing. Telling all those fans the Super Bowl is in MN instead of MPLS. While geographically correct would still in my opinion be doing Minneapolis a disservice.

IllogicalJake
Target Field

Postby IllogicalJake » May 24th, 2014, 9:54 pm

My point still stands the Super Bowl brings in a significant amount of viewers that would otherwise not be watching football. Hence being geographically challenged. While that in and of itself is not a bad thing. Telling all those fans the Super Bowl is in MN instead of MPLS. While geographically correct would still in my opinion be doing Minneapolis a disservice.
But the state had a big push in this, the bid and bid team refer to this as "Minnesota." The Super Bowl is in, for all intents and purposes, Minnesota. I doubt that'll be changing. But that also doesn't mean that people are so stupid they won't be able to figure out what the city is when the first 6 letters and two syllables are the same... if Golden State played in Goldenstatepolis, it'd be a little simpler, wouldn't it?

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Postby Minneboy » May 25th, 2014, 4:21 am

I once dated a girl from Texas who didn't know the difference between Minneapolis and Minnesota. Cute but stupid.

robotlollipop
Metrodome

Postby robotlollipop » May 25th, 2014, 6:37 am

But the state had a big push in this, the bid and bid team refer to this as "Minnesota." The Super Bowl is in, for all intents and purposes, Minnesota. I doubt that'll be changing. But that also doesn't mean that people are so stupid they won't be able to figure out what the city is when the first 6 letters and two syllables are the same... if Golden State played in Goldenstatepolis, it'd be a little simpler, wouldn't it?
I'm in LA right now and having brought up Mpls daily with randoms,I don't think anyone (unfamiliar with the area), after hearing Minnesota, would automatically think "Oh, Minneapolis!

People know Minnesota. People have heard of Minneapolis. But, unless it was "minnesotaplois", after hearing minnesota, they won't just assume that the Super Bowl is in minneapolis.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » May 25th, 2014, 9:17 am

I know this is continuing the tangent, but I understand Minneapolitans' interest in making it known they are the host city to everyone. Local pride! This is the "Minnesota Multi Purpose Stadium", yeah, located in the city of Minneapolis. Generally the tension is core to the question of what we call the economic region of influence of the entire metro.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » May 25th, 2014, 9:56 am

I think it's not a bad idea to keep the "Minnesota Super Bowl" notion (if for nothing else than what was just mentioned: it's the state's team/stadium) but I think the city of Mpls should go out if it's way to remind TV audiences where it is the game is actually played, and what city viewers are looking at every commercial break.

IllogicalJake
Target Field

Postby IllogicalJake » May 25th, 2014, 11:18 am

People know Minnesota. People have heard of Minneapolis. But, unless it was "minnesotaplois", after hearing minnesota, they won't just assume that the Super Bowl is in minneapolis.
Then where exactly do they think it is? What does specifically saying "Minneapolis" to someone who already has heard of the city gain us?

And whose to say that this would be happening if the state weren't behind this? I don't disagree that the publicity is nice, but why really would Minneapolis hijack the spotlight when the state has been integral in keeping much of the sports scene still in the city?

Not that I totally disagree, I just think we're looking at it a little shallowly.

robotlollipop
Metrodome

Postby robotlollipop » May 25th, 2014, 5:03 pm

Then where exactly do they think it is?
They don't. I think you're giving the average person too much credit in believing they'll care enough to go out of their way to find out if no one ever mentions it.

Also, just to clarify, when I said "people" before, I was referring to the people that are from the west coast. Mid Westerners seem to be fully aware of Minneapolis.
And whose to say that this would be happening if the state weren't behind this? I don't disagree that the publicity is nice, but why really would Minneapolis hijack the spotlight when the state has been integral in keeping much of the sports scene still in the city?

Part of the reason Minneapolis isn't a house hold name is because all of our sports teams are from "Minnesota". I know the history behind it all but it is kind of a bummer. I want people be more aware of the city. When I think of places I want to live/travel, I don't think of states, states are huge. I think of cities. When I tell people where I am from, I never say Minnesota. Minnesota is a big place mostly full of lakes, trees, and farm land. That's not where I'm from. I'm from the cities. A Super Bowl wouldn't take place in Illinois, it would take place in Chicago.

I constantly brag about how great Minneapolis is, it would be nice if the media helped me out a little bit.

sanchopanza
Metrodome

Postby sanchopanza » May 25th, 2014, 6:06 pm

Prior Super Bowls in Miami and Dallas were branded as "South Florida" and "North Texas".