DTE: Wells Fargo, Radisson Red, Edition Apts & Millwright Building

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Re: Downtown East Project (Ryan Companies / Wells Fargo)

Postby mattaudio » May 29th, 2014, 2:21 pm

Agreed, it would have been great if they could have rebuilt the eastern third of the jail block to include apartments/storefronts.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » May 29th, 2014, 3:42 pm

Agreed, it would have been great if they could have rebuilt the eastern third of the jail block to include apartments/storefronts.
Perfect. And a building on the scale of Latitude 45 at about 13 stories to bookmark the park.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » May 29th, 2014, 3:45 pm

Has, uhhhh, anyone been to jail and can clue us in on the existing land use of the eastern third of the block? It looks like it's covered parking/loading of some sort. I'm sure that could be integrated into redevelopment. http://goo.gl/maps/1fhAE

uptowncarag

Postby uptowncarag » May 29th, 2014, 3:51 pm

The park looks grand in the picture, but it'll occupy only two city blocks, so it's even smaller than Gold Medal Park by the Guthrie. Talking about Gold Medal Park, I still don't understand it. Can't they put a sculpture, a fountain or some interesting benches on it to make it look a little bit more interesting??
Actually, no. The park will be three city blocks - including the LRT stop running through the first block and what seems like it'll be a small, narrow development at the north end of the park. I'm guessing it'll come out to 2 1/2 blocks of park space or so, which should be a bit bigger or comparable to Gold Medal.

(And Gold Medal Park is beautiful, in my opinion. Walking up the spiral to eat lunch or chill with a gorgeous view of the city or falls? Perfect on a nice day.?)
I really wish that the apartment building wasnt there and this was a full 3 blocks
There are plenty of other parking lots that could become a park.

Andrew_F
Rice Park

Postby Andrew_F » May 29th, 2014, 4:09 pm

It looked like the base of a tower crane was going up on the west block this morning.
They actually set two tower crane bases on the west block.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » May 29th, 2014, 9:51 pm

Has, uhhhh, anyone been to jail and can clue us in on the existing land use of the eastern third of the block? It looks like it's covered parking/loading of some sort. I'm sure that could be integrated into redevelopment. http://goo.gl/maps/1fhAE
I'd say that you are correct. and I also believe that was to be the base if they ever had to add an additional jail tower because of crowding. Not really sure if they have an outdoor workout area with the jail or not. The Juvi does

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » May 29th, 2014, 10:10 pm

I hope the jail gets crowded enough to demand a supertall!

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » May 29th, 2014, 10:15 pm

It looked like the base of a tower crane was going up on the west block this morning.
They actually set two tower crane bases on the west block.
So five for the new stadium + two for each(?) of the WF towers + one(?) for the parking ramp and whatever goes on top = potentially 10 tower cranes working DTE at the same time. Yowzers.
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

Andrew_F
Rice Park

Postby Andrew_F » May 29th, 2014, 10:19 pm

I think the cranes for the parking ramp/air rights and for the apartments on the west end of the yard won't go up until after at least a couple of the Vikings cranes come down. As cool as 11+ tower cranes on the same development would be, there's a lot of demolition work to be done on those two blocks.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » May 30th, 2014, 3:31 pm

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » May 30th, 2014, 6:21 pm

The Vikings will have rights to the Yard 'a frightening amount of time.' Yes they will.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » May 31st, 2014, 10:14 pm

http://www.startribune.com/opinion/comm ... 20871.html
• Access: The Yard is a public space that cannot be privatized. But the Vikings and the stadium authority have some rights because the development uses one of the blocks that would have been a stadium plaza before this plan emerged.

In the original agreement, the Vikings were given use of the Yard for all 10 home games, and the stadium operators got 10 additional days. That’s a lot. Then, in February, they negotiated another agreement that shocked me and should deeply concern the public. The Vikings and the stadium operators more than doubled the time they control the Yard. That essentially gives them the right to privatize the space for much of each autumn.

The city needs to play hardball to renegotiate back to the original agreement, and it has a tool: Anticipating public access debates around the stadium, we negotiated a clause two years ago that gives the city veto power over all land-use decisions. Land decisions need four votes on the five-member authority, so the city’s two members can block this overreach that could would mean years of debate about whether the public or stadium operators own what is supposed to be a public park.

Certainly big events like the Super Bowl and Final Four should use the space — and there will be plenty of dates for other events, too. But stadium operators need to be reminded that event-related activities can be programmed on the significant open land next to the stadium itself, including a full-half block plaza where the Vikings/Twins ticket office used to be.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » June 1st, 2014, 11:25 am

I continue to be geeked out by the inconsistency of the renderings posted with all Yard-related stories in the Strib, MinnPost, and elsewhere.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » June 1st, 2014, 11:37 am

Also:
In the original agreement, the Vikings were given use of the Yard for all 10 home games, and the stadium operators got 10 additional days. That’s a lot. Then, in February, they negotiated another agreement that shocked me and should deeply concern the public. The Vikings and the stadium operators more than doubled the time they control the Yard. That essentially gives them the right to privatize the space for much of each autumn.
What does this actually mean? ((10 + 10) x 2) ≤ ? or what?
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » June 1st, 2014, 12:29 pm

Today's Strib editorial said Vikes get 10 game day events, plus an additional 20 days for setup/teardown. MSFA gets part of the space for 40 days. Still confused.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » June 5th, 2014, 9:20 am

Was surprised yesterday to see lower level walls already up and the re bar for the elevator shafts are in place. This it moving along faster than I have anticipated.

gpete
Union Depot

Postby gpete » June 5th, 2014, 9:29 am

What does this actually mean? ((10 + 10) x 2) ≤ ? or what?
On that note, David Brauer wrote a piece about how often the "Yard" might be privatized (yikes): http://www.southwestjournal.com/voices/ ... privatized

Azel
Metrodome

Postby Azel » June 5th, 2014, 1:13 pm

I continue to be geeked out by the inconsistency of the renderings posted with all Yard-related stories in the Strib, MinnPost, and elsewhere.
Do you mean the renderings from 2013 that show the streets closed 100%? Those are Ryan's first renderings that are still being trolled out to illustrate the park. I don't think they were ever updated for the city.

holmstar
Nicollet Mall

Postby holmstar » June 6th, 2014, 9:36 am

The bases of two tower cranes are in place on the eastern block of the wells fargo site.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » June 6th, 2014, 10:44 am

The bases of two tower cranes are in place on the eastern block of the wells fargo site.
This is the western block.