St. Paul Restaurant News

The Most Livable City in America™
mulad

Re: St. Paul Restaurant News

Postby mulad » October 21st, 2013, 12:48 pm

Hmm. Perhaps the topic I created on the Patrick's site belongs here. I haven't been able to figure out the City of St. Paul's web site enough to figure out if anything is planned or not.

In other news, Jerabek's New Bohemian Bakery has closed, both at their storefront on St. Paul's West Side and at the downtown location in the skyway. They posted a note on their website:
We cannot express in words the pain involved in the decision to suspend operations at Jerabek's. Numerous physical, financial, and emotional challenges have made us unable to properly lead and run the business. Our personal obligations and stresses have piled up to a breaking point that we need to address before we lose the things in our lives that are most important to us. Our neighbors and regular customers have been so wonderful that we cannot thank you all enough for the support you gave our institution, and we thank you for your recent outpouring of support once word was out that we were halting service. We feel shame and remorse that we are are so sudden in our inability to continue to serve you, please understand that recent circumstances forced us to act quickly.

Thank you for the faith you had in us , we sincerely apologize we could not follow-through with the dream that we had for Jerabek's. Perhaps this will open doors for others to build and enact a similar dream.

An Appeal to the Community:

Our wonderful staff were the motivation to keep us going over the past few months when we worked on our personal challenges, and we are indebted to them in many ways. I know they will be looking for new work, and if you could find it in your heart to point them toward any open doors you may know of, it would be a huge help for our community. They are talented people with big hearts.

With deep regrets and apologies,

Russ, John, and Ronda; Jerabek's former owners

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » October 21st, 2013, 1:44 pm

Well if that doesn't tug at your heart strings, you're a cold dead lump.

bptenor
Nicollet Mall

Postby bptenor » October 26th, 2013, 8:33 pm

It looks like Tin Whiskers Brewing Company is opening their location in the Rossmer building in downtown St Paul, next to Sawatdee. This should be a great location, especially with the Penfield opening a block away.

Brewery website: twbrewing.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TinWhiskersBrewingCo

gcm
Nicollet Mall

Postby gcm » November 12th, 2013, 12:18 pm

Red Cow is taking over the Costello's Bar location.

http://www.twincities.com/restaurants/c ... ay-red-cow

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » November 13th, 2013, 5:48 pm

Jerabek's is returning from the dead, sooner rather than later: http://blogs.mprnews.org/newscut/2013/1 ... aint-paul/

Huzzah! I will have to visit again. I just discovered the place like a week before the closing announcement.

mulad

Postby mulad » November 28th, 2013, 2:50 pm

I haven't been paying close enough attention, but the Jerabek's skyway location was closed when I went past on Tuesday -- I'm not sure if it has reopened at all or not. From the activity on their Facebook page, it looks like the West Side storefront has indeed been open, though.

The two skyway McDonald's in St. Paul reportedly closed yesterday afternoon. The PiPress article says the space is expected to be taken over by a new Skyway Grill restaurant from the guy who runs The Nectary (though the MSPBJ says it will be a different space in that food court).

mulad

Postby mulad » December 11th, 2013, 4:59 pm

Bars Bakery from the Cathedral Hill neighborhood had a sign up in the former Jerabek's skyway space saying they'll be opening in January.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » December 13th, 2013, 2:47 pm

Bars Bakery from the Cathedral Hill neighborhood had a sign up in the former Jerabek's skyway space saying they'll be opening in January.
AWESOME!

Scott Wood
Metrodome

Postby Scott Wood » March 17th, 2014, 9:59 pm

A new restaurant called "Public Kitchen and Bar" is opening north of Mears Park "early this summer":

http://www.twincities.com/localnews/ci_ ... mears-park

A Google search shows a few other restaurants by that name in other cities; it's not clear if there's any connection between them.

Minneapolisite

Postby Minneapolisite » March 28th, 2014, 8:02 pm

What's going on with the Schwietz Saloon space? I saw it is still empty when I went east of Downtown St Paul for the first time in the 2 1/2 years I've lived here to visit Ward 6 (which is great btw) and was very impressed with the mix of architecture, colors, and some of the signage on Payne. It certainly bests most Mpls business districts in this regard, but doesn't offer the density of high-quality destinations you'll find at the decidedly blander retail strips over here. It really should be more of a destination than it is now: a few restaurants, a couple dives, and then Ward 6. Bike-wise this strip is very unimpressive (hell, that's all of St Paul): there is no bike infrastructure at all, not even minimal effort sharrows or signage, and I had to awkwardly lock up to a sign that's close next to the building while trying not block the wheelchair ramp next to it.

I know Arcade is a similar collection of dense little commercial blocks just east of here, but I didn't have time to check it out in person, but from what I found there wasn't much all that compelling despite the large number of existing storefronts: maybe Governor's (maybe) and that's about it, although Arcade Bar sounds kinda interesting I'm pretty sure there are no arcade machines to be found there. I think it says something when one new place in the neighborhood has seemingly developed a larger following and more widespread attention than any other establishments which have been around much, much longer.

The potential here for a couple of destination-rich, walkable districts that are themselves within walking distance of each other is unparalleled anywhere else in St Paul and really should be pounced upon (University probably fit the bill back in the day for the densest walkable corridor but St Paulites dropped the ball on that long ago). Grand Ave doesn't have the bones to expand and Snelling although the most intact commercial street tends to be broken up by homes, colleges, bridges and parking lots and everything there is stretched out along one single street instead of clustered on two shorter parallel streets. Ward 6 has proven that you can draw people all from all over the city, and even central Mpls in my case, if you offer them a good reason to go. Which makes it all the more surprising that the Schwietz Saloon spot is still sitting vacant instead of adding a reason to venture further up Payne Ave.

Viktor Vaughn
Target Field

Postby Viktor Vaughn » April 1st, 2014, 11:42 am

The Star Tribune is reporting a possible deal for the Dakota to take over the Artist Quarter space in the Hamm Building.
http://www.startribune.com/entertainmen ... 82831.html

I have a mixed reaction to this news. The Dakota is a good venue. On occasions when I've had the money for expensive tickets, dinner, and drinks, I've enjoyed some great concerts there. Sometimes they have straight-up jazz late-night shows for only $5 bucks. Their Friday happy hour features tenor sax legend Irv Williams with no cover charge.

On the other hand, this news makes me sad. The Dakota (sometimes) carries on the jazz tradition, but lacks the magic of the Artist Quarter. The AQ was a serious musician-owned club on par with only a couple others in the country. Descending those stairs in the Hamm Building was like going back in time to the forties on NYC's 52nd Street.

It sounds like the new Dakota will offer food, which may be a necessity for a 21st Century music venue, but comes at a price, as prolific local musician Dave King was quoted in the City Pages.
As an old-school jazz club, the Artists' Quarter is a model that's dying in America. There aren't many places left where you're not four feet from a caesar salad while you're playing this music. Outside of New York's Village Vanguard and the Green Mill in Chicago, the Twin Cities has the Artists' Quarter.

It's the rare jazz club run by jazz musicians. Who could understand more about what the environment needs to be than somebody from that environment? You're entering something special here. It's subterranean and black inside, with black walls, no windows, and a bar at the back. Also, it's a condensed listening experience where it's not really tolerated to talk loudly during the music -- or to talk at all.

In a lot of places, you have servers blocking the view, clanking dishes, and other things that occur when you're in a room where people are eating. When we're in rock venues, there's an incessant amount of "hang" going on. Every rock show I've been to, big or small, I can hear a lot of the crowd over the music. The Artists' Quarter provided the environment to hear and play that music without those interruptions.
So I just wanted to share this [overall good] news and take a moment to lament what's been lost. Below I've quoted my comment posted at the Strib when the closing was first announced. Thanks to the AQ for all the great times (and serendipitously not making the age of admission 18 until I turned 18, or 21 until I turned 21).
This is so sad. I've been going to the Artist Quarter since I was in high school, and brought countless people there over the last 15 years. Really there's nothing like descending those stairs into the dark (formerly smoky) club with jazz pouring out and Davis greeting you at the door. You can tell this is the real jazz club because it's where the musicians come after they finish their gigs around town. You never knew who would walk in.

I'm going to really miss the AQ and the excellent music they hosted. I just want to thank Kenny for all the great times. Like that one time an old man wearing a bowtie wandered in the club and sat at the bar. When the band finished their tune, the bassist walked up to the microphone and said, "Ladies and gentleman, I'd like to welcome the great bassist Herbie Lewis to the stage." He handed the old man his bass and sat down with the rest of us to watch the master play for the rest of the night. That's respect, and it flowed freely at the Artist Quarter.

mulad

Postby mulad » April 9th, 2014, 4:47 pm

One Two Three Sushi is expanding to a location in the US Bank Building's skyway level. The second sushi location to open in downtown St. Paul in recent months. Sushi Sushi has been at the Alliance Bank food court for a couple of months now.

http://www.twincities.com/localnews/ci_ ... sushi-spot

I may as well mention that I haven't seen significant activity at the former McDonald's locations, despite early reports that one of them would be taken over by a side business of The Nectary.

Did Jerabek's West Side location (south of the river) actually ever reopen? Bars Bakery has seemed to do well at their skyway location, though their prices are significantly higher than typical bakeries.

ProspectPete
Union Depot

Postby ProspectPete » April 13th, 2014, 3:02 pm

An article about the new restaurant in Lowentown next to Barrio.
http://paper.li/LTLanding/1370227889

lorwest
Nicollet Mall

Postby lorwest » May 23rd, 2014, 6:55 am

Tin Whiskers Brewing opened this week in the Rossmor Building:

http://twbrewing.com/

ProspectPete
Union Depot

Postby ProspectPete » May 27th, 2014, 10:10 am

I haven't seen any signs of life in the space below the farmers market apts. Weren't the owners of the strip club going to open something in there? It still has the for lease sign in the window.

ProspectPete
Union Depot

Postby ProspectPete » June 8th, 2014, 11:51 pm

Re the new restaurant by the strip club owners:

http://www.twincities.com/localnews/ci_ ... oss-street

holmstar
Nicollet Mall

Postby holmstar » June 10th, 2014, 7:35 am

For those that don't get the electrical references: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whisker_%28metallurgy%29

Snelbian
Rice Park

Postby Snelbian » June 10th, 2014, 5:50 pm

I had some of their stuff at Beer Fest last weekend. It's definitely worth checking out.

Vagueperson
Union Depot

Postby Vagueperson » June 17th, 2014, 7:15 am

On the East Side, Tongue in Cheek is having a soft opening this weekend. I also contacted Patrick Larkin to ask about Schweitz Saloon, which was supposed to open last summer. There was a police notice on the door, but I noticed it had been ripped off. Patrick said he called the owner, who told me that they would be having a "soft opening" this weekend. They apparently have a very different approach, as they have no website or publicity regarding this, whereas Tongue in Cheek has been in the papers promoting itself.

billhelm
Nicollet Mall

Postby billhelm » June 17th, 2014, 10:13 am

Red Cow St Paul is opening today.