TCF Bank Building Redevelopment

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
m b p
Nicollet Mall

Re: TCF Bank Building Redevelopment

Postby m b p » July 17th, 2014, 2:23 pm

140 ft x 160 ft x 680 ft, at TCF site, in red.

View is from south of downtown... looking north on 35w.

(other arrows indicate other visible current projects)

TroyGBiv
US Bank Plaza

Postby TroyGBiv » July 17th, 2014, 4:44 pm

In this economy, my understanding is that there really isn't any speculative office space being built anywhere in the country. I think the implications are that we will need to see some major suburban movement back to downtown. Much of the Wells Fargo movement is coming from their outside of downtown offices - suburbs and from the Phillips neighborhood Mortgage office. The growth of the LRT system makes downtown more and more appealing. Getting the SWLRT voted on by the Mpls city council will be a major tipping point in office relocation and consolidation over the next few years.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » July 17th, 2014, 5:40 pm

In that SWLRT will bring jobs to downtown or send jobs to the burbs?

TroyGBiv
US Bank Plaza

Postby TroyGBiv » July 17th, 2014, 7:35 pm

I think that it will allow more city residents options for employment in the suburbs - but the more concrete effect is building greater appeal and importance for businesses to have a downtown address. The main value of transit is in increasing real estate value. Not to say that transit isn't important - it is, but infrastructure improvements facilitate real estate development and corporate relocation. Another factor is that many of the affluent who are "empty nesters" and are moving downtown are also executives and owners of companies. Millennial's want to live and work downtown and use transit at incredibly high rates - I think all of these trends all lead to longterm trends in downtown growth.

MS3

Postby MS3 » July 18th, 2014, 6:50 pm

This is the one I was referring to in the rumors sec. Should get a ton of talk on here if it all pans out. I have a little inside info on this one that I can't share yet but this lets just say I'm excited

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » July 18th, 2014, 7:00 pm

Fun, I love rumors and speculation!

TroyGBiv
US Bank Plaza

Postby TroyGBiv » July 18th, 2014, 8:03 pm

This is the one I was referring to in the rumors sec. Should get a ton of talk on here if it all pans out. I have a little inside info on this one that I can't share yet but this lets just say I'm excited
OK - but come on - More than 40? More than 50? More than 60? Or is it mixed residential/office/hotel? Any idea about when the development details will be announced?

Come on MS3 - Daddy needs a big tower right about now!

Silophant

Postby Silophant » July 18th, 2014, 10:28 pm

Well, if you're excited, I'm excited. Good to hear, MS3.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » July 19th, 2014, 7:45 pm

Alright so I've had this on my mind all day after what MS3 said, does anyone else have some scoops on this that they're holding back?

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » July 19th, 2014, 10:30 pm

Grain of Salt and patience. This developer sounds really confident but there are a lot of things going on behind the scenes that aren't easily leaked until the puzzle is complete.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » July 20th, 2014, 2:03 am

So I did my own rendition of what this building might look like. I went a bit overboard on the top.. In my opinon, but it looks better than nothing and I had to delete foshay in the process so ignore that...

holmstar
Nicollet Mall

Postby holmstar » July 20th, 2014, 8:06 am

Isn't the tower planned to go on the site of the shorter (4 story) building? (The one on the northwest corner)

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » July 20th, 2014, 8:12 am

Yes but I couldn't get it on there right, it moves the building a half block over it would still look the same in the skyline. I just wanted to make a modern structure that might be put in place so we could see how it would compare in height to the rest. I built this one at 755'.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » July 20th, 2014, 8:21 am

Good place holder, it's fun to imagine, what program do you use? If you're using sketch up you can geo locate the building before you even construct it! Then it falls into google earth perfectly!

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » July 20th, 2014, 8:28 am

Yeah it was sketch up but I geo-located it after I built it haha.

mpls_tc
Block E

Postby mpls_tc » July 20th, 2014, 8:44 am

Whats a realistic height estimate for this based on current plans?

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » July 20th, 2014, 8:49 am

I like the slender form as it fits in nicely with the current skyline. It would also be fun to see it in relationship to the Foshay Tower. That will play an important factor in how this looks. I don't think anyone will be too keen if the building overwhelms it.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » July 20th, 2014, 8:54 am

It's going to overwhelm it, the height plans are 60 stories from what we've learned from MS3. Foshay is a wonderful structure and I think it meshes really well with modern structures.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » July 20th, 2014, 9:45 am

It's going to overwhelm it, the height plans are 60 stories from what we've learned from MS3. Foshay is a wonderful structure and I think it meshes really well with modern structures.
It may not necessarily overwhelm it at 60 stories if it's done right. That's a quite a tall building for the footprint of that corner site. It will be a very skinny tower with small floor plates. I was under the impression it would be between approx 30-40 stories.

TroyGBiv
US Bank Plaza

Postby TroyGBiv » July 20th, 2014, 6:28 pm

Thanks for your design! It kind of reminds me of some of the super falls that are being built in Brisbane Australia.