CHS Field (St. Paul Saints Ballpark)

The Most Livable City in America™
Jfuss
Metrodome

Re: Saints Lowertown Ballpark

Postby Jfuss » September 13th, 2012, 10:15 am

And the winner is....

St. Paul finally landed the big one -- or most of it.

Gov. Mark Dayton announced Thursday the award of $25 million, $2 million short of what the city wanted, for a $54-million ballpark for the St. Paul Saints.

Full new article found here. http://www.startribune.com/local/stpaul/169597636.html

MSPtoMKE
Rice Park

Postby MSPtoMKE » September 13th, 2012, 10:18 am

Well, it got the bonding award, so is this officially a go? As with most stadium projects, I have mixed feelings, but this will be an amenity to Downtown St. Paul. It is also a pretty small amount of public money compared to our other recent stadium projects.
My flickr photos.

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » September 13th, 2012, 10:19 am

If there ever was a city in need of a faux historic ballpark its St. Paul Minnesota.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » September 13th, 2012, 10:22 am

If there ever was a city in need of a faux historic ballpark its St. Paul Minnesota.
Post of the week!

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » September 13th, 2012, 10:29 am

yawn....how much infusion of public money will it take for dt st paul to be "revitalized".

how does macy's stay in business there?

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Postby nordeast homer » September 13th, 2012, 11:02 am

yawn....how much infusion of public money will it take for dt st paul to be "revitalized".

how does macy's stay in business there?
St Paul has been in revitalizing mode for 50 years.

As for Macy's staying open, most people think it will close next year. The only reason it's open now is because they received a loan (subsidy) from the city to stay open through 2012, after that the "loan" is forgiven and they are free to close if they wish.

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » September 13th, 2012, 11:08 am

Off topic now but I wonder what will happen to the building if Macy's does close. I remember a while back that Target was interested, and that would certainly be more of a catalyst than the aging Macy's.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » September 13th, 2012, 11:21 am

Apparently 1/40 the amount needed to revitalize Downtown East in Minneapolis. :|

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » September 13th, 2012, 12:35 pm

Off topic now but I wonder what will happen to the building if Macy's does close. I remember a while back that Target was interested, and that would certainly be more of a catalyst than the aging Macy's.
Just walked past that over lunch. Wow, there's so much potential for redevelopment along that stretch of Wabasha... between Macys, vacancies in the street level of World Trade, and surface parking lots.

ECtransplant
US Bank Plaza

Postby ECtransplant » September 14th, 2012, 1:06 am

Apparently 1/40 the amount needed to revitalize Downtown East in Minneapolis. :|
Or Downtown Minneapolis is 40 times more important . . .

(I'm 95% kidding)

LRV Op Dude
Union Depot

Postby LRV Op Dude » September 14th, 2012, 2:00 pm

Blog: Old-Twin Cities Transit New-Twin Cities Transit

You Tube: Old, New

AKA: Bus Driver Dude

dumberGuy

Postby dumberGuy » September 14th, 2012, 9:38 pm

how is this design "faux historic"?

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » September 15th, 2012, 1:07 pm

Its not. It should be.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » September 15th, 2012, 1:13 pm

Its not. It should be.
I'd prefer a more contemporary studium, but one that uses materials from the indistral area around it! Brick, Steel, metals, and glass.

Jfuss
Metrodome

Postby Jfuss » September 20th, 2012, 4:43 am

Design/Build team for the new ballpark has been selected...
http://ballparkdigest.com/201209185574/ ... s-ballpark

From the article...
The design/build team for a new St. Paul Saints (independent; American Association) has been chosen: Ryan Companies, AECOM and Julie Snow Architects.

Ryan will serve as general contractor and lead designer on the downtown ballpark project; LA-based AECOM and Minneapolis-based Julie Snow Architects will assist.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » September 20th, 2012, 10:06 am

how is this design "faux historic"?
My opinion is a fake historic will not fit as well as a more contemporary design using building materials found in and around the lowertown area. With it being next to a more contemporary light rail building, it should blend in more with that and the roads and park land to the east. I would hope they use stone, brick, a variety of metals and Glass in their design of the structure. With Julie Snow as part of the team I feel very confident in an excellent design.

Rico
City Center

Postby Rico » September 22nd, 2012, 7:42 pm

I was at the Saints ballpark celebration in Mears park today and heard that the new ballpark design is really wide open. I was told the rendering frequently shown was developed in two days and it's not known (or at least they aren't saying) what it will ultimately look like. I actually love the current rendering so was a bit bummed to hear it may not look like that. I was also told the old Gillete building won't be taken down until February or March next year; the is a lot of environmental work that needs to be done.

LRV Op Dude
Union Depot

Postby LRV Op Dude » September 26th, 2012, 3:26 pm

Blog: Old-Twin Cities Transit New-Twin Cities Transit

You Tube: Old, New

AKA: Bus Driver Dude

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Postby nordeast homer » October 12th, 2012, 10:25 am

I'm surprised nobody has brought up the controvery surrounding this project. I'm curious to know what some of the people on this board think about the city pre-arranging their deal with Ryan to manage this project without going out to bid. It seems to me that they overstepped their bounds by not putting this out to bid when they are recieving so much state money on the project. A loophole that I might understand is if they got bids beforehand in order to come up with the cost of the project, but that doesn't seem to be the case here.
I'm very curious to see how all this plays out.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » October 12th, 2012, 12:27 pm

I'm surprised nobody has brought up the controvery surrounding this project. I'm curious to know what some of the people on this board think about the city pre-arranging their deal with Ryan to manage this project without going out to bid. It seems to me that they overstepped their bounds by not putting this out to bid when they are recieving so much state money on the project. A loophole that I might understand is if they got bids beforehand in order to come up with the cost of the project, but that doesn't seem to be the case here.
I'm very curious to see how all this plays out.
Uh is that legal?
Nick Magrino
[email protected]