Highland Park Target Express

The Most Livable City in America™
MN Fats
Union Depot

Highland Park Target Express

Postby MN Fats » July 24th, 2014, 7:43 am

http://www.twincities.com/business/ci_2 ... s-highland

Where the heck will they put this? Says it's about a 30% larger than a typical Walgreen's.

nfschauer
Nicollet Mall

Re: Highland Park Target Express

Postby nfschauer » July 24th, 2014, 7:52 am

I was curious as well. I would hope they'd be smart and place it in or around the village, however I can't think of any vacant lots as of now. I wouldn't be surprised if they put it somewhere down near West 7th.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » July 24th, 2014, 8:22 am

In the one that opened in Dinkytown yesterday, there's a tech section with portable electronics, and a bigger/better grocery section than you'd find in a Walgreen's or CVS. There's meat, for example, as well as a produce section that's more than just a basket of rotting oranges and apples.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

MN Fats
Union Depot

Postby MN Fats » July 24th, 2014, 12:41 pm

A source says it's going to go in the current Barnes & Noble location on Ford Parkway.

nfschauer
Nicollet Mall

Postby nfschauer » July 24th, 2014, 1:16 pm

Must be a portion of the Barnes and Noble, beacuse that store as a whole would be about the size of a regular Target.

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » July 24th, 2014, 2:10 pm

Must be a portion of the Barnes and Noble, beacuse that store as a whole would be about the size of a regular Target.
It's about 1/7th the size of the Hiawatha/Lake Target. It looks to be about 15,000 sq ft and the Hi-Lake Target is 125,000 sq ft. The Dinkytown Target Express is 20,000 sq ft.

nfschauer
Nicollet Mall

Postby nfschauer » July 24th, 2014, 2:18 pm

I guess Barnes and Noble's are the next stores to go? Each time I go in one they seem to have fewer customers, now that everyone has a Kindle/Nook and goes online...Will be interesting if this is actually the site for the Target.

Side note: Highland is redeveloping nicely. Aside from the Ford Plant, there's also a new Pieology restuarant which is a CA based company going in next to Walgreens, along with a Schuler Shoes on the other side.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » July 24th, 2014, 2:38 pm

Highland park there is a strong retail node. The plus is it has a large variety of stores and services that people in the neighborhood want. I'll guess that they get 40% of their customer base from just over the river in S MPLS. Seems a few MPLS bus routes terminate just east of Fairview Ave.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » July 24th, 2014, 8:08 pm

I guess Barnes and Noble's are the next stores to go? Each time I go in one they seem to have fewer customers, now that everyone has a Kindle/Nook and goes online...
Last time I went into a B&N to buy a book, the price on the shelf was roughly 40% more than the online price. I asked the manager if they would match the online price. Nope. I explained that B&N was undercutting their brck & mortar operations. I expressed concern for the workers. He actually vigorously defended the company's pricing strategy. I got the distinct impession he was a shill looking for a promotion.

I haven't bought a book from them since, in store or online (I generally refuse to buy online if at all possible). It wasn't the price. It was the attitude that all of the workers at the brick and mortar stores don't matter.

Snelbian
Rice Park

Postby Snelbian » July 25th, 2014, 7:35 am

Their pricing strategies never made much sense. My wife and sister-in-law worked there for years. B&N was always a little more expensive than Borders, but would accept returns without receipts or price stickers. Which is a bad combination if people have a bit of spare time and want to scam a few bucks out of a store.

Nice to see more going into Highland, though I wish it was something smaller. Or a handful of things smaller.

nfschauer
Nicollet Mall

Postby nfschauer » July 25th, 2014, 7:45 am

I agree, and there's a Half Price books across the street whre you can buy most of the same books for $5 or less. And is it still 100% that the Target Express is going to be where B&N is? I've heard rumors, but have yet to see an article or source...

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » July 25th, 2014, 10:39 am

I agree, and there's a Half Price books across the street whre you can buy most of the same books for $5 or less.
Unfortunately in my case I was looking for a technical publication and those are generally hard to find in brick & mortar stores and impossible at used bookstores. I was really excited to find it at a B&N until I compared prices.

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » August 6th, 2014, 6:27 am

Looks like the B&N guess was correct.

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/m ... store.html

This is an exciting area of St Paul. I really think it should be on the short list for better transit. I can only imagine how exciting of an area it will be once the Ford Plant is redeveloped.

Snelbian
Rice Park

Postby Snelbian » August 6th, 2014, 7:24 am

Well, it will be getting the A Line next year.

HuskyGrad
Union Depot

Postby HuskyGrad » August 6th, 2014, 7:45 am

One possible place this could be headed is to the current St. Paul Whole Foods location.

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » August 6th, 2014, 8:19 am

Well, it will be getting the A Line next year.
That's right! I always think of the 84 / Future A Line as just being a N/S line on Snelling Ave. I hope the A Line does better than the Red Line. (but that discussion is for another thread)
One possible place this could be headed is to the current St. Paul Whole Foods location.
Um... Did you read the article or even my post up a few in this thread? The Target Express is going into the Barnes & Noble.

HuskyGrad
Union Depot

Postby HuskyGrad » August 6th, 2014, 8:32 am

Um... Did you read the article or even my post up a few in this thread? The Target Express is going into the Barnes & Noble.
I did, but I have heard potentially otherwise. Maybe it's a third location they're scouting.

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » August 6th, 2014, 9:38 am

I did, but I have heard potentially otherwise. Maybe it's a third location they're scouting.
They are planning on opening one store in Highland Park next spring and two in San Fran/Berkeley next summer and have no other plans for at least the next year. But maybe its super preliminary scouting.

nfschauer
Nicollet Mall

Postby nfschauer » August 14th, 2014, 12:33 pm

Because I live in Highland Park, this thread is one I pay more attention to and feel strongly about. It is official in that Barnes and Noble is leaving to make way for a new Target Express in Highland. Sure I understand bookstores have been gradually going out of business much like that of Blockbuster and other stores that have been losing business due to new technology or other reasons. I respect Target because it is a MN based company and affordable. It shouldn't be a shock to anyone that a Barnes and Noble is being replaced, I'm sure even more will be leaving around the metro in the coming years, but it's the end of an era. Anyways, Joe Soucheray is one I don't agree with 75% of the time, but this time I do, and not only is he talking about this instance of Barnes and Noble being replaced in Highland, but the future of bookstores as well.

http://www.twincities.com/entertainment ... =hottopics

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » August 14th, 2014, 12:53 pm

Some interesting history of this site: There was a 3-story Powers department store on this location from 1960 until the late 80s. The vacant buildings were torn down in 1994 to make way for the BN and strip malls.
http://www.twincities.com/business/ci_12863279