Chicago

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Chicago

Postby Tcmetro » May 1st, 2014, 8:31 am

The biggest problem against interlining is that the ridership doesn't match between branches, which also means that the frequency and train lengths aren't compatible. Pink Line has 15,500 riders/day, Green West: 26,000, Green South: 12,500, Brown Line: 56,000, Orange Line: 26,500, with another 65,000 boardings on the loop. If anything, this suggests that the Green West should interline with the Orange, and that the Pink Line should interline with Green South. The problem with such a plan is that the New Orange and Green Lines wouldn't run on common portions of the loop which would have implications for riders to shared stations on the West and South sides.

For the Red Line, I believe the best option (after reconstruction and express stop additions) is to operate Purple Express trains from Linden to 95th via the subway to provide faster travel times from Downtown and the South Side to the North Side. The problem that is created is that the higher-frequency Red Line (now on the North Side only) would have to share the subway with the Purple Line or the congested Loop L. I think such a change is necessary as the North Side Main featured 111,000 boardings, but the Dan Ryan saw only 40,000, and an additional 50,000 in the subway. More express service would balance loads from Red Line trains to Purple Line trains (higher ridership from South Side and other transferring lines, people at surrounding stops may walk a few extra blocks for the express service.

The Blue Line has nearly triple the ridership on the O'hare branch (76,000) than the Forest Park (26,000) branch, with another 27,000 boardings in the subway. CTA has partially resolved this issue by sending every other train from the North side to the West side.

These numbers aren't completely accurate, because they only count entrances, which could be for a variety of lines, and the transfers are only estimated. But overall they're quite useful.

http://www.transitchicago.com/assets/1/ ... 013-12.pdf

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » May 1st, 2014, 1:19 pm

They could always split the branching on the Green and Blue into different services. Thus the trunk would carry two services rather than one, but it would allow for better balancing of demand and interlining opportunities after reaching the loop.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » May 1st, 2014, 1:27 pm

On my last trip, I bought one of the "Ventra" 24-hour contactless fare cards (still disposable, but you "tap" it, instead of running through the reader like old disposable tickets). I don't know if it got wet or too close to my phone or wallet (has a magnet clip for cash), but it stopped working after one effing ride. CTA employees at the stations were of no help. Since it was the beginning of my trip, I had to pay $10 for a second 24-pass.

My recommendation: if buying a paper Ventra card, request a receipt from the machine!

Andrew_F
Rice Park

Postby Andrew_F » May 1st, 2014, 2:40 pm

For the Red Line, I believe the best option (after reconstruction and express stop additions) is to operate Purple Express trains from Linden to 95th via the subway to provide faster travel times from Downtown and the South Side to the North Side. The problem that is created is that the higher-frequency Red Line (now on the North Side only) would have to share the subway with the Purple Line or the congested Loop L. I think such a change is necessary as the North Side Main featured 111,000 boardings, but the Dan Ryan saw only 40,000, and an additional 50,000 in the subway. More express service would balance loads from Red Line trains to Purple Line trains (higher ridership from South Side and other transferring lines, people at surrounding stops may walk a few extra blocks for the express service.
I'm assuming that under this scenario you envision a major increase both in frequency and in operating hours for Purple Express service. Unless you envision making it 24/7, I don't think it would fly. I think constructing a layover track just south of 35th or 47th to allow some trains to turn early during rush periods is a better solution.

The Blue Line has nearly triple the ridership on the O'hare branch (76,000) than the Forest Park (26,000) branch, with another 27,000 boardings in the subway. CTA has partially resolved this issue by sending every other train from the North side to the West side.
I'm assuming you're talking about the runs that are done between UIC and Ohare? AFAIK this is only done during rush periods and isn't anything close to every other train. I think it's a good idea, but if the CTA wants to do it long term I would suggest they build a new crossover and layover track just west of the IMD station.

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » May 1st, 2014, 11:36 pm

I would like to see the Purple Line become full time service, once the express stations are opened at Wilson and Loyola. I think in the long term the Red Line or the Purple Line could branch off at Belmont and operate in a new subway that serves areas closer to the lakefront. The other service would operate along the State St Subway to 95th.

I took a look at the Blue Line schedule, and the changes were made for weekends only. Trains were reduced to 4 cars, service was improved from O'hare to UIC to run every 5-8 min and reduced to 10-15 min between UIC and Forest Park.
http://www.transitchicago.com/assets/1/ ... s/blue.pdf

ord2msp
City Center

Postby ord2msp » May 28th, 2014, 10:00 pm

Construction on a 504 unit, 60 story multi-family tower is reaching completion Downtown Chicago. OneEleven (111 W. Wacker) has a prime location on the Chicago River and has a refreshing sleek design. Appears to be a another great addition to a booming area.

http://chicago.curbed.com/archives/2014 ... eleven.php

Minneapolisite

Postby Minneapolisite » July 26th, 2014, 7:18 pm

On my last trip, I bought one of the "Ventra" 24-hour contactless fare cards (still disposable, but you "tap" it, instead of running through the reader like old disposable tickets). I don't know if it got wet or too close to my phone or wallet (has a magnet clip for cash), but it stopped working after one effing ride. CTA employees at the stations were of no help. Since it was the beginning of my trip, I had to pay $10 for a second 24-pass.

My recommendation: if buying a paper Ventra card, request a receipt from the machine!
Is that the reusable one that you can add value to? I'd hope not. Last time I was there this past weekend was my first experience with the ventra tickets. Bought two one-time use tickets and on the way back I went on the wrong side of a blue line station and had already swiped my card, so when I went around to the correct one: didn't work. They're not like ours which last for a while: I was thinking, how do we have a better system for that than they do? Here if you were to use your ticket/card at the wrong side of the station you can go around to the other side and not have to pay again because you have a grace period of 2 1/2 hours before it would be a problem.

Oh, and Bucktown is yet another Blue Line neighborhood that I've visited and am a fan of. Just a short walk north or south of the coffee shop I was at: two 24 hour taco restaurants. And some great cheap bars tucked away off of Western on some gorgeous residential streets. Seems like I'm always finding pleasant surprises when I explore Chicago. Bonus pic:

Found a great tiny bar too: friendly chatty people, dog-friendly, cheap ass drinks, definitely felt way more East Coast than Midwestern (which was an exception even in Chicago based on my overall bar experiences there): people going to a bar by themselves and they're all talking to each other even though they're strangers? That's unheard of! I can't even count on one hand the number of bars like that over here. Maybe that's just what we need: tiny bars. Perhaps sharing small quarters would make people here come out of their Midwestern shells a bit. That or they'll just bring their friends or their date so that they don't have to talk to someone they don't know.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » July 26th, 2014, 11:00 pm

Dude, why do you live here?

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » July 27th, 2014, 9:16 am

It's funny, because "friendly" and "outgoing" are not words I would have ever used to describe the people I've met in East Coast bars. Midwestern people are way more externally friendly, even if there's that vaguely standoffish passive-aggressiveness underneath.

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » July 29th, 2014, 7:03 am

lol

Minneapolisite

Postby Minneapolisite » July 29th, 2014, 6:57 pm

Because "here" isn't Eden Prairie or Uptown?

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » July 29th, 2014, 7:18 pm

Inquiring minds want to know, how does Bucktown Chicago compare to Columbus Ohio?

Minneapolisite

Postby Minneapolisite » July 29th, 2014, 7:36 pm

The train is a lot more reliable in Bucktown than anywhere in Columbus. The neighborhood didn't seem to have as wide a selection of dining options: it was mainly Mexican restaurants I saw but wasn't in the mood for that and I didn't see any Jamaican, Somali, or Venezuelan spots like you can find in the Bus. Both tie for highly affordable drinks including outside of happy hour. Bucktown, though, is actually much smaller than even some Columbus neighborhoods, which I didn't realize until seeing a map: you could fit multiple Bucktowns in Clintonville or Linden, for example. And Columbus has infinitely more ravines in built upo urban areas than Bucktown: not a single one spotted.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » July 29th, 2014, 8:47 pm

Because "here" isn't Eden Prairie or Uptown?
My question is serious. If things are so very terrible in Minneapolis compared to Columbus (Columbus!) and Chicago, why not move to one of those places? It's funny to hear how terrible midwesterners are coming from someone who lived in and loves Columbus Ohio.

chimpls
Block E

Postby chimpls » July 30th, 2014, 5:47 am

Having lived in Chicago for several years ( I recently moved away ) I can tell you that Bucktown (and more broadly Wicker Park since the two neighborhoods bleed into each other on the northern end) is a more well-heeled area now than it was 10-15 years ago. It's filling up with more upscale shopping and offering a little less variety in terms of food offerings for cheap. It's still a great walkable neighborhood, but if you want a little more spice I'd walk west to Western Ave and beyond. Or, if you have the time venture down to Pilsen or Uptown and Rogers Park. There is also a tremendous Indian neighborhood on the northside of Chicago centered around Devon St. and Western and California that has amazing food and stores.

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » July 30th, 2014, 6:55 am

I was being facetious, lol.

Minneapolisite

Postby Minneapolisite » July 30th, 2014, 6:31 pm

Having lived in Chicago for several years ( I recently moved away ) I can tell you that Bucktown (and more broadly Wicker Park since the two neighborhoods bleed into each other on the northern end) is a more well-heeled area now than it was 10-15 years ago. It's filling up with more upscale shopping and offering a little less variety in terms of food offerings for cheap. It's still a great walkable neighborhood, but if you want a little more spice I'd walk west to Western Ave and beyond. Or, if you have the time venture down to Pilsen or Uptown and Rogers Park. There is also a tremendous Indian neighborhood on the northside of Chicago centered around Devon St. and Western and California that has amazing food and stores.
Definitely keeping this in mind for the next stop through, thanks! Also heard good things about Humboldt Park, expect you better damn well know where not to go if you do. Haven't been yet, but from a glance it looks like the eastern edge is the safer part while heading out to the west side of the neighborhood probably is inadvisable.
My question is serious. If things are so very terrible in Minneapolis compared to Columbus (Columbus!) and Chicago, why not move to one of those places? It's funny to hear how terrible midwesterners are coming from someone who lived in and loves Columbus Ohio.
I have no idea where I said things "are so very terrible in Minneapolis." I'm a fan of several corners of the city, but it's fun to rag on Uptown, SWLRT makes me hate the burbs more than I already did if that's even possible, and while Mpls overall has many things over Columbus, and even Chicago, there are still some things from home and other cities I wish I'd see over here even though they might never happen, like a bar opening that charges <$2 for a pint of beer during happy hour or locals being more extroverted, since I mainly know people who are also expats from other states including an ex-Ohioan and we both agree: you guys here can't make an Italian sub to save your lives. Thank god for those bahn mis.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » July 30th, 2014, 8:37 pm

I have no idea where I said things "are so very terrible in Minneapolis."
it's like 80% of your posts.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » July 31st, 2014, 4:51 pm

I have no idea where I said things "are so very terrible in Minneapolis."
it's like 80% of your posts.
Have to agree with you there.

Minneapolisite

Postby Minneapolisite » July 31st, 2014, 6:30 pm

SWLRT isn't Mpls and thankfully it isn't in the city yet. Speaking of lines that are green, Chicago proves that such rail lines work best when they open up the city to visitors, both tourists and visitors from other sides of the city, without the need for a car. No one has to get a headache driving around and finding, then paying ($$$) for parking, nor do they have to study the bus routes. Imagine if the city had prioritized lines that mainly focus on sprawling suburban areas which skirted only the edges of a few urban neighborhoods on their way out of the city. No one here could or would argue that the city should have done that instead. The Blue Line is probably my favorite as it plops you right in the thick of numerous interesting neighborhoods northwest of the Loop and the Red Line has taken me to a variety of spots all up and down the city's north side, including the northernmost reaches of the city.

Of course, this doesn't mean the city has perfected station placement and development in surrounding areas. The Orange Line has some inconvenient stations that are on the (ugly, car-oriented) outer edges of some neighborhoods. I was thinking about checking out Bridgeport on my last visit on the city's near south side, but the places I wanted to go to were well near the center of the neighborhood. I figured I probably didn't want to be in this isolated area at dark and maybe have to walk under a highway bridge to get into and out of the neighborhood and could you blame me? It's not the most welcoming introduction to the area. (Link if you want a 360 streetview of the area)

Note all those dense developments that sprouted right up around this station like clockwork: just think that we'll also soon have car washes and gas stations to go with the big parking lots planned around what will be our our newest stations: people will think they're in Chicago! But seriously, anyone been to Bridgeport that can make some recommendations for when I can muster up the courage to dive in? I'll even throw in a photo thread of the neighborhood.