Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board

Parks, Minneapolis Public Schools, Density, Zoning, etc.
David Greene
IDS Center

Re: Minneapolis Park System

Postby David Greene » July 23rd, 2014, 12:52 pm

IMaybe MPRB could pull a Red Cow and file a lawsuit against the city if this moves forward. But hopefully the critical parking idea will get rejected politically first.
This is an opportunity to widen the public discussion around parking. We've talked about a lot of ideas in the Permit Parking thread.

https://forum.streets.mn/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2863

I'd like to see some of those ideas raised at the meeting and talked about on the e-dem list and other places.
Last edited by David Greene on July 23rd, 2014, 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » July 23rd, 2014, 1:52 pm

We prefer to bike over, but at 7 miles round trip it's not always practical—especially this summer with mrs.shoes being pregnant. We typically park on residential streets just north of the park because the pay lot is almost always full. So we're certainly part of the problem. If Sea Salt would stop being so awesome, there wouldn't be a parking issue. *cough*
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » July 23rd, 2014, 9:29 pm

Pardon my ignorance (I have been out of town for over 3 years now) but since when is parking along MInnehaha Parkway so jam-packed that residents can't park nearby, or in say their own driveways? Is this a real issue? Why do people think that PUBLIC street parking is a right? If they want to have 10 guests over regularly let them build themselves an underground parking ramp!

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » July 24th, 2014, 7:53 am

i don't understand this either. my brother lives across from the park on 43rd and it's just an accepted thing that during summer weekends his street will have park users cars there. these homes all have garages and driveways. if you buy a home near a popular desitination shouldn't you have an idea. como park, minnehaha, etc. it's a public street. the park was there before you moved in and it will be there when you move out. i think it's a little different case with a restaurant or bar vs a public park.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » July 30th, 2014, 9:23 pm

After nearly a dozen years of effort to clear it up, Wirth Lake is no longer on the impaired waters list. Great job!

http://www.startribune.com/local/west/269312461.html

Anondson
IDS Center

Minneapolis Park System

Postby Anondson » August 1st, 2014, 4:41 pm

West River Road likely to be closed all year waiting to get the landslide damage repaired.

http://www.startribune.com/local/blogs/269610101.html
Last edited by Anondson on August 1st, 2014, 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anondson
IDS Center

Minneapolis Park System

Postby Anondson » August 1st, 2014, 4:43 pm

The Park Board is considering seriously sending "The Yard" back under the jurisdiction of the city.

http://www.startribune.com/local/blogs/269605421.html

[added]Here is the Park Board layout the case in their own words. They seem especially peeved that the sports facilities authority and the Vikings get so much priority that they don't believe it is truly a public park that falls under their policies.

http://minneapolisparksmn.iqm2.com/Citi ... &CssClass=

Anondson
IDS Center

Minneapolis Park System

Postby Anondson » August 6th, 2014, 9:15 pm

Park board voted 6-2 to not be involved with "The Yard".
Downtown business leaders have jumped into the issue, sketching out a plan for a new conservancy organization to eventually manage the Yard and other downtown parks, such as Peavey Plaza.

Minneapolis Downtown Council President Steve Cramer said they are working to firm up a suitable revenue model as they develop the conservancy structure. He said money from events and potential concession sales will help balance the books.
http://www.startribune.com/politics/sta ... 59771.html

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » August 6th, 2014, 9:24 pm

So whoever owns Peavey might own the park too? We should crowd fund it! The site own it!

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » August 6th, 2014, 9:33 pm

Interesting idea if it turns out this "conservancy" thing can create parklettes around downtown. Maybe places where a couple food trucks can camp out and patrons can sit and eat?

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » August 7th, 2014, 6:18 am

i dont mind this. the park board can't maintain what it has as it is. father hennepin park, supposedly a major park on the riverfront that a lot of out-of-town people experience when walking across the stone arch bridge hasn't seen improvements in 30 years. the paths i think saw new tar back in 1980. looks like crap.

so yea whatever.. "punt" the yard to a conservancy or something that can actually manage. this city's multiple governing boards and their bickering is tired.

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » August 7th, 2014, 7:00 am

Smart move by the Park Board.

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » August 7th, 2014, 9:08 am

why is it "smart move" exactly? this is a redundant government body. that this city functions at all with it's multiple levels of govt oversight and committees is amazing. it's a an easy decision and par for the course from a body with zero leadership and vision. have they lifted a finger regarding green space in the downtown area? i'm not talking about the riverfront. this disjointed oversight is why we have a downtown still trying to scrape together two nickels to make the downtown area more than a concrete and glass canyon.

so when presented with an opportunity to help make a couple of parcels within the downtown area a true "park" they pass. not a big shock from this body.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » August 7th, 2014, 9:12 am

I have my critiques regarding MPRB, but in general I'm thankful we have that separation. Neighborhood parks, grand rounds, etc are what make our city truly unique and I wouldn't want to see those sacrificed. And the City Council is known for clawing back and redirecting funds from one place to another (NRP) so I'd rather take what we have than a city without a separate government for parks.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » August 16th, 2014, 10:32 am

http://www.startribune.com/entertainmen ... 50281.html

Looking at their work makes me feel very... icelandish

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » August 16th, 2014, 10:41 am

http://www.startribune.com/entertainmen ... 50281.html

Looking at their work makes me feel very... icelandish
have you been to Iceland because I think Iceland doesn't mean what you think it means.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » August 16th, 2014, 10:46 am

I've done a lot of architectural studies on Iceland and a lot of Scandinavia but I think I got my capitals mixed up. There's a city in Scandinavia that has a lot of these modern type of parks with abstract sculptures and wonderful landscaping, just forgetting. Thought it was Reykjavik but I guess not.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » August 16th, 2014, 2:12 pm

Reykjavik is very minimalist and in essence modern but it's more from a no nonsense functional architecture stand point... they have great modern pieces like harpa and the pearl, but Iceland in general is very rugged and rustic, and simple an amazing country but not so easily generalized in terms of modern landscape ( the same way I think it's foolish to coin " Minnesota modern" because a number of buildings in Minneapolis have similar features)

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » August 20th, 2014, 4:32 pm

http://blogs.citypages.com/blotter/2014 ... winter.php
"We've walked the middle ground in the past," [Anita Tabb, parks commissioner] continues. "We've wanted it still to be this idyllic hideaway, yet we don't want what might come with that and I don't think we can have it both ways. We either need to close it or open it up and take out all the underbrush, [which] might mean taking out trees, putting in parking, adding amenities that would draw people who have eyes on the park."
ugh.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » August 20th, 2014, 4:38 pm

I think it might be Anita's time to go... I personally feel like our parks system could be doing so much better, even with the limited budget. There are a lot of parks in the area that have had overflowing trash bins, broken fences, faded out signs, no signs, and an overall sense of being forgotten.