Anoka State Hospital - Anoka

Twin Cities Suburbs
spearson
Landmark Center

Anoka State Hospital - Anoka

Postby spearson » April 15th, 2013, 9:03 am

Reading over the latest city council minutes from Anoka, three of these buildings are being proposed for demolition.

These buildings were designed by Cass Gilbert, and now most sit vacant. Two were combined with an addition and is the Anoka County Workhouse, a couple are administrative buildings, and three are vacant, I believe.

It would be really sad to see these buildings go, they are huge, and the grove is a sight to be seen (especially rolling through at night). All the buildings are also connected by tunneling (which people claim to be haunted lol).

edit: I should note that the city council is looking for alternatives to demolition, and that it is a last resort. I guess three buildings are in pretty bad shape.

woofner
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Old Cass Gilbert Designed Anoka State Hospital Buildings

Postby woofner » April 15th, 2013, 10:07 am

I don't suppose there's any interest in rehabbing them for housing? Three blocks from a train station? I guess they want to save seats on the train for park-and-riders.
"Who rescued whom!"

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » April 15th, 2013, 10:30 am

I don't suppose there's any interest in rehabbing them for housing?
They're also one block from a mental/chemical dependency facility, which may make it less desirable for housing.

And apparently they're haunted.

spearson
Landmark Center

Postby spearson » April 15th, 2013, 10:40 am

The council minutes didn't really mention many rehab examples other than looking at other old hospitals that have been rehabbed into office parks. There is a big senior center being developed just south of it (phase one is finishing up, phase two coming), so housing is being built in the area. These old buildings are big, one even includes a nice sized auditorium. They are also on the river and on a river bike/pedestrian paved trail. And of course near the rail station.

They are not currently registered as historic, but I think that is coming. The council notes seemed to infer that the council wanted to keep them around, so I hope that happens. Anoka has a grand master plan for that entire area around the Northstar station from the hospital area all the way to Hwy 10. The first parts of which are now coming to fruition. One is the senior center, and two is the parking ramp and skyway over the rails on the south northstar lot (construction starting at the end of april).

They seem to have a lot going for them in terms of options for rehab, with the only downside being right next door to the regional treatment center. I hope they find a reasonable way to keep them around.

spearson
Landmark Center

Postby spearson » April 15th, 2013, 10:50 am

I don't suppose there's any interest in rehabbing them for housing?
They're also one block from a mental/chemical dependency facility, which may make it less desirable for housing.

And apparently they're haunted.
Haunted, if you believe such things. A good friends friend worked as a security guard for the complex, and while he said that the tunnels are creepy, they are also a haven for homeless. They were only allowed to patrol the tunnels in pairs, I guess because of it.

yeah, the new treatment center being a block away makes rehabing to something useful less desirable (it does house level 3 sex offenders), but that hasn't been an issue for any nearby neighborhoods.

It'll be interesting to see the ideas they have for the place, it's certainly an interesting grove, and creepy too.

Aville_37
Union Depot

Postby Aville_37 » April 16th, 2013, 1:18 am

I hope they spend some time looking for alternatives. They are beautiful buildings with interesting histories. Not sure I'd want to live in one, though ;)

lap99
Block E

Postby lap99 » April 18th, 2013, 2:51 pm

I certainly hope they do not demolish the buildings. I have worked at the treatment center for many years and was there when we occupied the cottages. I do know that the first cottage opened in 1900. It would be a shame to destroy something that has stood the test of time. I am not sure if the general public knows that the State sold the campus to Anoka County for $1.00 back in 1999. It was priced low, so that the county could use the bulk of their money to revamp the old buildings with central heat and cooling systems. They used the tunnel system to run all the necessary pipes and electrical wires. The tunnels also house all of their DSL lines for their computers. The 3 cottages in question are all set up as well. All that needs to be done with them, is renovation on the insides. As a tax payer, it upsets me that they would spend even more money for demolition, rather than just continue on the path they have already started. I also think, it would in the County's best interest to save the available space for future growth of the County offices. I haven't even touched on the historical aspect of the buildings themselves.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Re: Anoka State Hospital - Anoka

Postby seanrichardryan » May 25th, 2013, 9:39 am

MInnpost covers the old Anoka hospital.

http://www.minnpost.com/community-voice ... h-facility

I was up here a few weeks ago for an errand and took a drive through the campus. The buildings are lovely, in Jacobean Revival style with stunning brickwork a terra cotta. It's literally a 3 minute walk to the Northstar platform. There is absolutely NO reason this should be bulldozed. It could become the center of a new TOD.

Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Aville_37
Union Depot

Postby Aville_37 » May 25th, 2013, 11:22 am

Totally agree they should be restored for alternative uses.

uptowncarag

Postby uptowncarag » May 26th, 2013, 7:14 pm

Absolutely these should be reused.

c.hatler
Block E

Postby c.hatler » August 13th, 2014, 4:50 pm

The county has put a one year deadline on finding an alternative use for cottages 2, 3, and 4.
http://www.startribune.com/local/north/270620341.html

spearson
Landmark Center

Postby spearson » February 19th, 2015, 9:48 am

The latest city council meeting has notes that they(city/county) are trying to use them for veteran housing and are searching for funding.

Anoka Bright Future
Block E

Postby Anoka Bright Future » February 27th, 2015, 5:41 pm

Absolutely these should be reused.
I have recently driven through the ~Vintage~ Anoka Campus. The original Anoka State Hospital. I Have walked through the Campus over the years during all four season's. The Beauty of the Amazing Brick Cottages and all of the other building's is Amazing. I have recently seen the 3 brick residential Cottages on the News and in the Minneapolis Star Tribune regarding making them Homes for homeless Veterans in need of Homes. I have also seen Much interest in the amount of others who started a Petition to save the 3 brick building's and make them into Homes for our homeless veteran's. The latest update this week is Positive! The article in the Mpls. Star tribune which has the headline : Anoka's 3 Rum River Cottage's, states a Positive read that is very much worth reading! for those of you who have a passion for the Beautiful Historical Ornate Vintage building's.
It's a Win Win to see such a Positive and recent article. " Common Bond " is mentioned. They have recently done renovation of the old barns at Ft. Snelling, converting them into 58 veteran Housing units . Imagine what they will do to the already Residential Anoka Rum River Cottages.

Anoka Bright Future's.

spearson
Landmark Center

Postby spearson » September 26th, 2017, 10:27 am

The housing for homeless veterans is gaining traction. Anoka's council minutes (9-18 reg mtg minutes and 9-25 worksession minutes) have more details, but it is close to actually happening. Anoka is having a rally to raise awareness of the project.

Thursday, September 28, 2017, from 5-7p.m. at the Historic State Hospital property (Rum River Human Services Center) located at 3300 4th
Avenue in Anoka. The event program will begin promptly at 6 p.m. and refreshments will be served.

Link with info:
http://www.ci.anoka.mn.us/vertical/site ... terans.pdf

Plus I copied the contents of the link below which sadly copied in unformatted.

Email: [email protected]
Direct: 612-245-3764
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE – September 20, 2017
TURN ON THE LIGHTS
for Homeless Veterans
ANOKA, Minn. – Minnesota is believed to have the most veteran suicides of any of the United
States. While this is difficult to comprehend, together we can make a difference.
Join us, and help save a life! A rally will be held on Thursday, September 28, 2017, from 5-7
p.m. at the Historic State Hospital property (Rum River Human Services Center) located at 3300 4th
Avenue in Anoka. The event program will begin promptly at 6 p.m. and refreshments will be served.
The City of Anoka is working to convert the three sturdy cottages into housing for homeless
veterans. By converting cottages 2, 3, & 4, and the auditorium, it will not only house veterans, but will
help to ensure the preservation of these historic buildings, plus help save taxpayer dollars.
These buildings have sat dark, empty, and lifeless for years. Let us open the doors and “turn on
the lights” so our homeless veterans will not have to spend another cold winter on the street.
We need your help! Please spread the word, join the rally on September 28th to learn more,
and/or become a volunteer.
This event is sponsored by Friends of Homeless Vets and co-sponsored by the City of Anoka. If
you have questions, please contact Senator Jim Abeler via email at [email protected] or via
telephone at 612-245-3764.