LPM Apartments - (376' - 36 Stories)

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
grant1simons2
IDS Center

Re: LPM Apartments - (376' - 36 Stories)

Postby grant1simons2 » August 12th, 2014, 6:54 pm

Sounds like they'd like Hopkins or STLP by what was described

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » August 12th, 2014, 8:30 pm

Sounds like they'd like Hopkins or STLP by what was described
No, Loring Park is really quite different from those places. I was just thinking about Loring Park today in fact. The Loring Greeway is one of a kind. It's a beautiful space and I'd use it all the time if I lived there. The combination of towers, churches, older apartment buildings and green space is unique in the Twin Cities.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » August 12th, 2014, 8:42 pm

In the liking to be away from the sports, peddle pubs, and loud plows with also a diverse crowd is what I meant.

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » August 12th, 2014, 9:47 pm

A closer grocery store would also be really great.
Is the Lunds really that far away? It's on the edge of the neighborhood, but it's still technically in Loring Park, no?

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » August 13th, 2014, 6:32 am

Is the Lunds really that far away? It's on the edge of the neighborhood, but it's still technically in Loring Park, no?
It's at 12th and Hennepin at the northwestern edge of the neighborhood. For Loring residents north of Greenway it's very convenient to walk to, however, it's more of a hike for someone living on Oak Grove etc which is south of the Greenway.

PS: I find the argument that there are few restaurants in the area not quite accurate. It really depends on where you live. For those of us living on the northern boundary close to Nicollet Mall, there are 20+ within several blocks.

l12
Block E

Postby l12 » August 13th, 2014, 8:10 am

Well the LP neighborhood plan (http://www.loringpark.org/MPfinal/Built ... CT2013.pdf) breaks the neighborhood into 4 regions: "Loring Hill," "Loring Village," "Loring Greenway," and "Hennepin Harmon."

I live in Loring Hill, which i suspect is the densest and most populated part with a number of 10+ story buildings and almost no commercial or parking, and, due to the hill and lack of through streets, for many people here a walk to the Lunds at the north corner of Harmon district is 10-13 blocks I'd say, not too great for carrying groceries or harsh weather. The Wedge is actually closer for some but not by much. This is really the neighborhoods greatest deficiency in my view. There is a decent convenience bodega-type grocery, Oak Grove Grocery, which is great to have, but not sufficient.

But, for those moving into LPM, Lunds is not too bad.
Last edited by l12 on August 13th, 2014, 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » August 13th, 2014, 8:12 am

Which almost makes me think Nicollet/Franklin could host a grocery as it gentrifies, which would also serve Loring Hill, Whittier, and the Wedge in addition to Stevens Square (obviously).

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » August 13th, 2014, 10:00 am

Or even that giant vacant lot at Nicollet and 18th. Nicollet/Franklin wouldn't be much more convenient for someone on Clifton or Oak Grove than the Lund's.

You can live in the area without a car and still get groceries, you just have to make a lot of small trips. But the thought of going grocery shopping 3x a week probably doesn't appeal to a lot of people.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » August 13th, 2014, 10:19 am

My reply here, since it's about grocery-buying habits and not LPM apartments or Loring Park in general: https://forum.streets.mn/viewtopic.php?f=6&t ... 215#p63215

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » August 13th, 2014, 5:29 pm

Well the LP neighborhood plan (http://www.loringpark.org/MPfinal/Built ... CT2013.pdf) breaks the neighborhood into 4 regions: "Loring Hill," "Loring Village," "Loring Greenway," and "Hennepin Harmon."

I live in Loring Hill, which i suspect is the densest and most populated part with a number of 10+ story buildings and almost no commercial or parking, and, due to the hill and lack of through streets, for many people here a walk to the Lunds at the north corner of Harmon district is 10-13 blocks I'd say, not too great for carrying groceries or harsh weather. The Wedge is actually closer for some but not by much. This is really the neighborhoods greatest deficiency in my view. There is a decent convenience bodega-type grocery, Oak Grove Grocery, which is great to have, but not sufficient.

But, for those moving into LPM, Lunds is not too bad.
Yeah, I totally understand it's a bit of a hike. Loring Park is on my radar for future places to move when I'm leaving Marcy-Holmes next year, and I found that the places I wanted to live were typically on Oak Grove or even further from Lunds, which really seemed to detract from it.

I suppose more of my point was that this neighborhood actually has pretty good grocery access compared to a lot of neighborhoods, and I don't know that we can count on another being added any time soon. The neighborhood might not have one in its heart (most neighborhoods, I suppose, really don't: grocery stores tend to be on commercial roads, which Minneapolis typically uses to split up neighborhoods, so it would seem most have them on the edges), but it's really in a triangle between Lunds, the Wedge, and the downtown Target. That's better than most neighborhoods, including the North Loop, where many apartments are a pretty decent hike. I have some friends near Washington and 10th and I've hiked there after leaving Whole Foods in the winter...oof!

I have to imagine a nice bodega--similar to the one that already sort of exists--might be what the neighborhood really needs. After all, the triangle of grocery stores really has some powerful regional players (Target, Lunds, and probably the best known co-op)...who would want to step into the middle of that specifically to serve the neighborhood when they can go somewhere nearby like Downtown East?

It would be nice to see one on Nicollet south of the highway, though. The seems a prime spot, especially once the streetcar goes in.

Avian
Union Depot

Postby Avian » August 13th, 2014, 7:20 pm

Or even that giant vacant lot at Nicollet and 18th. Nicollet/Franklin wouldn't be much more convenient for someone on Clifton or Oak Grove than the Lund's...
Yeah, that parcel is in the densest census tract in the city, isn't it?

“Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something.”
― Plato

Minneapolisite

Postby Minneapolisite » August 13th, 2014, 8:24 pm

Or even that giant vacant lot at Nicollet and 18th. Nicollet/Franklin wouldn't be much more convenient for someone on Clifton or Oak Grove than the Lund's.

You can live in the area without a car and still get groceries, you just have to make a lot of small trips. But the thought of going grocery shopping 3x a week probably doesn't appeal to a lot of people.
It appeals to me just fine and I'm sure the same goes for the thousands of residents choosing to live here.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » August 13th, 2014, 10:09 pm

Yeah, that parcel is in the densest census tract in the city, isn't it?
Yep. It's also pretty poor, though (there are two public housing towers, and the rest is almost all rentals). Plus, that part of Nicollet, aside from the intersection with Franklin, is a little rundown.

sushisimo
Landmark Center

Postby sushisimo » August 13th, 2014, 10:13 pm

It appeals to me just fine and I'm sure the same goes for the thousands of residents choosing to live here.
When I lived on Oak Grove Street, there was a Super Valu here, next to the hardware store. It was sketchy, but it served a purpose. I had no problem running over there whenever, for whatever. But I was also driving to to work in the suburbs, so I could hit large grocery stores on the way home.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » August 13th, 2014, 10:30 pm

I ALWAYS forget that that Dollar General (née SuperValu?) is like a three minute walk away.

Also, I know that maybe it was different in the 80s, but at this point I don't know that Loring Park really counts as rough and/or poor. There are certainly poor people, and things that could stand to be painted, but in general it has a pretty average median income. I'm sure that recent development has since moved those numbers upwards, too. I wouldn't normally go out of my way to point it out, but after that Biz Journal story with that guy saying the neighborhood is bad...
"The downside is the neighborhood. There's not as many good restaurants and the apartments surrounding it aren't as nice (as the North Loop)." He said. "Hopefully the neighborhood will get better."
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

l12
Block E

Postby l12 » August 13th, 2014, 11:00 pm

Oh, I disagree. Going from Oak Grove down Blaisdell to Nicollet/Franklin is way easier/faster/nicer than to Lunds, feels like 5 small blocks vs. 10 big ones. I go to the doctor at Blaisdell and Franklin at the large Park Nicollet clinic there, another nice neighborhood asset. And, they do have a farmers market there once a week, but I have not been. There are a lot of bodegas on Nicollet actually and CVS has some stuff but yeah, Oak Grove Grocery beats those options usually.

Of course you can always take a bus, annoyingly though we are just outside the Downtown Fare Zone which seems silly to me, Since every other city designation seems to consider all within the interstate loop as "downtown" including LP.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » August 14th, 2014, 10:22 pm

Also, I know that maybe it was different in the 80s, but at this point I don't know that Loring Park really counts as rough and/or poor. There are certainly poor people, and things that could stand to be painted, but in general it has a pretty average median income. I'm sure that recent development has since moved those numbers upwards, too. I wouldn't normally go out of my way to point it out, but after that Biz Journal story with that guy saying the neighborhood is bad...
Yes, I think you are on the mark. The majority of people in this neighborhood are moderate income renters who frequently work downtown. I have lived in this area a long time and I think it's tended to be a predominantly average income for as long as I remember. It's actually quite stable that way. There have been times it gets slightly poorer or a little more "rough" ( mainly around SA and the more rundown Nicollet Ave area past Grant) but even that waxes and wanes every 5 years or so. No doubt the neighborhood is currently on the upswing with LPM, 430 Oak Grove, and The Vue.

l12
Block E

Postby l12 » August 15th, 2014, 8:21 am

I'm actually amazed at how safe the neighborhood is, considering that living in Warehouse District there was a shooting within a block of my apartment monthly and sometimes weekly. It was always at 2-3 am when the clubs get out, and I assume by people who had a "beef", so I didn't really feel in danger, but rather disconcerting to have makeshift memorials at blood red sidewalks greet you every morning for a while.

If I was a single woman I would probably prefer LP among downtown neighborhoods for the perception of safety, if not the reality. I have heard that even 10 years ago there was some serious crime in LP but in the 4 years I have lived here I have not heard of anything. Also, there is safety in numbers and there are definitely more people walking the sidewalks here at any time day or night, if for no other reason than to walk their dog.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » August 17th, 2014, 11:50 am

Forgot how pretty this looked in the winter

http://youtu.be/piD_sYZ5aMg?list=FL5P4w ... 2D_P86mQbA

TommyT
Target Field

Postby TommyT » August 18th, 2014, 7:32 am

Forgot how pretty this looked in the winter

http://youtu.be/piD_sYZ5aMg?list=FL5P4w ... 2D_P86mQbA
Ugh, it's pretty... but I don't even want to think about that yet.