Loring Vue Apartments - (415 Oak Grove Street)

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
minneapolisguy
Nicollet Mall

Re: Loring Vue Apartments - (415 Oak Grove Street)

Postby minneapolisguy » September 11th, 2012, 10:37 am

Looks like they have updated their website - might be the same image you saw.

http://loringvue.com/

minneapolisguy
Nicollet Mall

Postby minneapolisguy » September 11th, 2012, 10:40 am

$1120 to $2095 a month rent - images of the place look beautiful.

I think alot of people who were so opposed to this building will be ashamed of themselves when this is done - or maybe not - haha.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » September 11th, 2012, 10:59 am

A lovely design and sophisticated addition to the neighborhood. Looks fairly different from many of the other apartment projects going up which is a pleasant surprise. Has a great relationship and context with the intersection. The architects did a great job of mitigating its scale to make it appear less bulky than it actually is. Fantastico!!

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » September 11th, 2012, 11:41 am

That's not the rendering I saw originally! This one is much better -- nice!!

Lancestar2

Postby Lancestar2 » September 11th, 2012, 12:22 pm

that rendering looks amazing!

but why do they cut out that house next to them on the east side? Is it standard to remove single family houses from renderings? Also if so why is the other house to the west (cross the street) still in the renderings? Is it because that is a townhouse or has some weird usage? ...

minneapolisguy
Nicollet Mall

Postby minneapolisguy » September 11th, 2012, 12:33 pm

The lobby photo has lots of windows that look out onto the one house while the house on the east side has residences that look out on to it - given the angle this view is from the house on the east side isn't necessary and is set back enough I suppose that it would add nothing to this rendering.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » September 11th, 2012, 5:05 pm

This project is surprisingly visible coming up on Lyndale or in on 394.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » September 11th, 2012, 5:10 pm

The new rendering has some bad material colors compared to earlier versions.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

dumberGuy

Postby dumberGuy » September 11th, 2012, 5:53 pm

who cares? 1368 will be this neighborhood's salvation.

oh, well, never-mind

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » September 12th, 2012, 11:31 am

The new rendering has some bad material colors compared to earlier versions.
I think the building (especially the brickwork) will have a somewhat lighter tonality than how it appears on the website. I'm guessing the corner will have a light silver metallic panel of some kind. The thing that struck me most about the new rendering is how much less bulky the building appeared as compared to earlier renderings. It fits the site much better than I anticipated. And when I biked by it a couple weeks ago , I was impressed by how much more "complete" the area looks with the increased density. Feels truly urban which is really what the character of the Loring neighborhood is all about. And thank freakin god they got rid of that nasty run down parking lot!

tabletop
Nicollet Mall

Postby tabletop » September 15th, 2012, 8:26 am

It is nice that it's filling a void. But gotta say I would never pay $1,200-1,400 a month for a bedroom without a window... especially when you can have a mortgage on an entire house for a little more than half that.

minneapolisguy
Nicollet Mall

Postby minneapolisguy » September 15th, 2012, 8:33 am

Well factor in property taxes, maintenance costs for the house - then add in the convenience of renting - everybody's situation is different but sometimes that little extra is worth it to them.

tabletop
Nicollet Mall

Postby tabletop » September 15th, 2012, 9:15 am

Like waking up to the sun :) I rent, in a nice neighborhood and have an apartment about the size of the "alcove unit" and pay WAY less. Still have a view out my bedroom window (or a window in my bedroom for that matter). Just sayin these developers are charging way too much. Yeah, they're providing amenities but they're skipping the basics. Luxury living, give it a rest. I want to see a new building I could afford to live in.

dmdhashw
Nicollet Mall

Postby dmdhashw » September 15th, 2012, 9:21 am

I want to see a new building I could afford to live in.
I agree with you here. It seems as though there are options for low-income, and higher-income people being built, but it is hard to find new apartments that someone making an average-income could afford.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » September 15th, 2012, 9:58 am

I want to see a new building I could afford to live in.
I agree with you here. It seems as though there are options for low-income, and higher-income people being built, but it is hard to find new apartments that someone making an average-income could afford.
Agree as well. There needs to be more focus on building housing for moderate and middle income people in the urban core. However, Loring Vue is a good project that fills a decades old vacant parking lot that was crumbling.

dumberGuy

Postby dumberGuy » September 15th, 2012, 10:12 am

may I ask for a definition of "moderate and middle income people", and what income-appropriate rents for such people would be in downtown Mpls?

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » September 15th, 2012, 12:33 pm

may I ask for a definition of "moderate and middle income people", and what income-appropriate rents for such people would be in downtown Mpls?
It'd be the median income in the region, as "middle income", give or take 25%. And a rent rate that was between 25% and 30% of your gross income would be considered "market rate".

So let's play a make-believe scenario: $55K annual income would mean a "market rate" apartment should cost roughly $1150 -$1400 per month.......pretty much what the Vue is asking for. Expensive, it seems, but certainly not "luxury" either.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » September 15th, 2012, 3:33 pm

It seems reasonable to me that only expensive housing or subsidized low-income housing is what gets built. It follows that middle-income would be slightly older, formerly new and expensive housing. I live down the street from this at 215 Oak Grove and pay $900 a month for a one bedroom. While there aren't granite countertops, it's a pretty nice building. Built a few decades ago for sure, but it's got everything I'd need for the foreseeable future.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

ECtransplant
US Bank Plaza

Postby ECtransplant » September 15th, 2012, 4:13 pm

It follows that middle-income would be slightly older, formerly new and expensive housing.
This. A lot of the so-called "luxury" stuff being built today will be the mid-range housing stock of a couple decades from now.

Lancestar2

Postby Lancestar2 » September 15th, 2012, 7:05 pm

It follows that middle-income would be slightly older, formerly new and expensive housing.
This. A lot of the so-called "luxury" stuff being built today will be the mid-range housing stock of a couple decades from now.

How can you say that!

They are experts in deciding the marketing words they use to sell/lease there property! Who are we to judge their use of the word "luxury" ? ;)