Rumors: A Historical Record of Mystery

Introductions - Urban Issues - Miscellaneous News, Topics, Interests
acs
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Rumors!

Postby acs » August 7th, 2014, 3:39 pm

Don't get me wrong, I love new buildings and fewer surface lots. More retail and hotel options are great for making downtown even more of a destination. Condo's bring in even more residents on a long-term basis. However, what would really put my mind at ease would be a new skyscraper with thousands of white collar office jobs.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » August 7th, 2014, 3:43 pm

Could go in there. Could turn it into a super block with a condo or apartment connected to a tower. I just think that if it's on Nicollet then there should be development

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Postby Minneboy » August 7th, 2014, 4:05 pm

Now if only there was a plan for that block lot across from the library.
That is the Ritz block. Unless you're talking about the old Nicollet Hotel block.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » August 7th, 2014, 4:10 pm

I think I am talking about the Ritz block.

Avian
Union Depot

Postby Avian » August 18th, 2014, 12:50 pm

More tidbits. I have also heard independently about Norman Foster's involvement with Opus.

[QUOTE=Texas RE;116613750]I should state for the record that the Trump Organization has long sought to develop in downtown Minneapolis. Back in the mid- to late-90's, they had considered teaming up with the Opus company about the entire Ritz block & the existing block where the Nic on Fifth is. I know that because I was hired to negotiate with Nordstrom to lease the base of 1 of the towers. TO is very interested in the convention hotel development with an elaborate tower in the 725 ft. range, plus another site or 2 downtown.

The cities you stated, numerous of them Trump had involvement with already, but the projects stalled, mainly because he leased his naming rights to projects, not actually building the project themselves. Locals need to remember that the Twin Cities & Minnesota in general tend not to over-indulge in projects. You also need to remember that many existing projects there are by prestigious architects, the secondary Ritz development plan was designed by Norman Foster & that is 1 no-cutting-corners design. The same approximate sq. footage & cost that Opus had originally stated. It was just better designed with more stature in the development so best able to attract the better high paying tenants. Also, it would be the centerpiece of the north end of the Mall, adding many opportunities all throughout the northside of downtown.

While in the Twin Cities last week, I was able to discuss a number of projects that is being planned with major investors. I probably can't disclose much at this time, other than many 'letters of intent' have been signed for intention to locate in specific developments, that includes office, retail & entertainment. I will say that I'm very impressed with the tsunami of change that is in the works. It takes very delicate negotiations & planning, but it is pretty well in place now. The 2 that I'm most impressed with are the hotel-condo developments & retail. The new entertainment venues will clearly thrust Minneapolis to the forefront of that industry.

I can say that many cities have development going on, none of them will have an entire downtown change so dramatically as Minneapolis in the next decade. Downtown Dallas is many yrs. away from a tsunami of change, perhaps never, we had our day in the 80's. Those of you who live in the Twin Cities are very fortunate to have so much development in both your downtown's & have many yrs. of it to come. Exciting times ahead, enjoy all of it.[/QUOTE]

“Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something.”
― Plato

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » August 18th, 2014, 12:55 pm

Slow but going process is good to hear

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » August 18th, 2014, 1:51 pm

i would love a norman foster building in our downtown.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » August 18th, 2014, 2:30 pm

De we have a current Foster + Partners project happening right now? Or did I just read that there may be one.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » August 18th, 2014, 3:28 pm

omfg please Norman foster the crap out of any surface lot in the city. don't care where... lol

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » August 18th, 2014, 3:30 pm

He could spruce up city center well he's at it

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » August 18th, 2014, 5:51 pm

the awesomeness that is foster + partners. they know skyscrapers.
http://www.fosterandpartners.com/projects/

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » August 28th, 2014, 12:13 pm

So according to the latest rumor on ssc:

There has been a few days delay in the discussion of the 2nd proposal for the Ritz block due to some personal matters being tended to by a Principal of the investment group involved in the project. The taller proposal is not off the table yet. I hope that you Twin Citians cross your fingers for that proposal, the Norman Foster design for the hotel is tall, slender and sleek in the 710 ft. range. The office tower is another architectural beauty with a beautiful crown, there could be modest changes to the crown, either way, the height is between 1025 - 1050 ft.

I had a little free time on my hands, and even though my google earth is being (gl/b)itchy right now... you get the idea

From Whittier:
ImageScreen Shot 2014-08-28 at 1.04.29 PM by fotoapparatic, on Flickr

From Target Field:
ImageScreen Shot 2014-08-28 at 1.03.32 PM by fotoapparatic, on Flickr

From NE:
ImageScreen Shot 2014-08-28 at 1.02.09 PM by fotoapparatic, on Flickr

Silophant

Postby Silophant » August 28th, 2014, 12:28 pm

That would be fantastic. I'll happily cross my fingers for that.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

m b p
Nicollet Mall

Re: Opus Ritz Block Development

Postby m b p » August 28th, 2014, 12:47 pm

Our friend, TexasRE, from another site, has informed us that bigger towers may be planned here.

In the meantime, here's a rough model for the current concept:
Download concept 1
Image(this is the previous released image for this project)

My estimates (reflected in the model)...

Tower 1 (residential) is 330 ft:
Base is 16' + (12' x 3) = 52'
tower is (12' x 2) + (10' x 23) + 12' = 266'
roof junk is another 12' (second tier of roof junk not reflected... add another 10 ft if you want)

Tower 2 (office) is 300 ft:
19 floors at 15 ft per floor = 285'
crown = 15'.

*EDIT... Ha. Nathan beat me to it. I posted this in the ritz block thread and it was moved here. Reading a few posts back, I understand why. I extended those forms up to 710 ft and 1050 ft.... and ended up with this...
Download concept 2
download the google earth model to cruise around and view it.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » August 29th, 2014, 8:11 am

So in other words, Opus would be going from incredibly mediocre and underwhelming to incredibly superior and over-the-top fantasmic? What a 180!! The former shouldn't be approved by the city, whereas the latter (in its Nathan Foster forms, of course) should be eye-rolled a "yes, duh!" by the city. I simply won't believe it until I see it though, but it's fun to speculate/dream!

P.S. the office space in the former (1st proposal) doesn't appear to meet the 500K SF mark at 19 floors, which is what I thought its size would be.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » August 29th, 2014, 8:27 am

On what grounds, exactly, should a privately developed project that meets all zoning codes be denied?

Last I checked, neither "not ambitious enough" nor "not cool enough" were not acceptable reasons to deny a project.

m b p
Nicollet Mall

Postby m b p » August 29th, 2014, 1:31 pm

So in other words, Opus would be going from incredibly mediocre and underwhelming to incredibly superior and over-the-top fantasmic? What a 180!! The former shouldn't be approved by the city, whereas the latter (in its Nathan Foster forms, of course) should be eye-rolled a "yes, duh!" by the city. I simply won't believe it until I see it though, but it's fun to speculate/dream!

P.S. the office space in the former (1st proposal) doesn't appear to meet the 500K SF mark at 19 floors, which is what I thought its size would be.
My model, which is based off of nothing but 2 pictures, has a basic floor plate of 140' x 240'... x 19 floors = 638,400 ft sq. To me, it looks like the actual proposal's business tower is around 500k sq ft.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » August 29th, 2014, 9:38 pm

My model, which is based off of nothing but 2 pictures, has a basic floor plate of 140' x 240'... x 19 floors = 638,400 ft sq. To me, it looks like the actual proposal's business tower is around 500k sq ft.
I think I figured it would be 1/4 of a block in surface area since there was going to be a 2nd building. If the building took up 1/2 of the block then I can see that square footage.

tabletop
Nicollet Mall

Postby tabletop » August 30th, 2014, 7:11 am

The office tower is another architectural beauty with a beautiful crown, there could be modest changes to the crown, either way, the height is between 1025 - 1050 ft.
If this happens, it would be the tallest building outside of New York and Chicago in the US. Exciting indeed... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ta ... ted_States

bapster2006
Foshay Tower

Postby bapster2006 » August 30th, 2014, 7:25 am

Off the top of my head, I know that Philadelphia and LA have buildings going up 1100+ ft, but certainly would put Minneapolis in those top ranks.