Uptown Hotel Discussion

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
Nathan
Capella Tower

Re: Uptown Hotel Discussion

Postby Nathan » August 30th, 2014, 5:40 pm

This is relevant because I used to live in Phoenix and they built a hotel there, and it's cool.

http://goclarendon.com/

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » August 30th, 2014, 11:30 pm

This is relevant because I used to live in Phoenix and they built a hotel there, and it's cool.

Great hotel in Phoenix! It would be awesome if they designed a very contemporary looking hotel for Uptown. The one Minneapolisite is referring too in the Short North District of Columbus looks like this:

Pip

Postby Pip » August 31st, 2014, 12:11 am

I'm still trying to figure out the market for a hotel in Uptown. Don't get more wrong, it'd be nice to see one. Obviously, there won't be a lot of business travelers staying in Uptown and during the week, that's most hotels bread and butter. Like Mr. Graves said, it's going to have to be a "boutique" hotel and I think it's going to have to be known for being more than a hotel. If they include a bar/ restaurant that becomes an Uptown staple, they could have some success. I think they should also include a ballroom or something similar. If they put it on the top floor, it could have a good view of downtown. They might be able to appeal to the wedding reception crowd if they have a ballroom with DT views and easy access to all the bars of Uptown while being close to Calhoun. They could also try to appeal to people who want to have a night out on the town in Uptown but don't want to worry about a taxi or live too far away to taxi/ drive home after a late night. Lastly, they could include a decent pool/ small waterpark in the hotel and try to get additional revenue that way. It might be popular, especially in the winter months. Spend a Saturday afternoon in the winter at the waterpark and then hit up some bars at night. Just trying to think outside of the box on how an Uptown hotel might be able to make it.

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Postby Minneboy » August 31st, 2014, 9:11 pm

Great hotel in Phoenix! It would be awesome if they designed a very contemporary looking hotel for Uptown. The one Minneapolisite is referring too in the Short North District of Columbus looks like this:

The lower part of that picture reminds me of Lunds and adjacent buildings. How about building on the parking lot on the north side of those? Another great location could be the McDonalds lot. Library is close by also for those needing access to that. Close to transit, the lakes and entertainment. All good.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » August 31st, 2014, 9:34 pm

Pip: Rich people have friends who want to stay in the same area that their rich friend is in. Next to a large nightlife with some good shopping options. Really I don't see why this hasn't been top priority for Ackerberg and Graves

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » August 31st, 2014, 10:40 pm

I'd settle for a ballroom in Uptown! Not many places to learn and go dancing anymore.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » August 31st, 2014, 10:43 pm

Apparently there's a place where you can learn salsa in uptown. Maybe someones house but I've just heard of it.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » August 31st, 2014, 10:56 pm

I'm more of a Foxtrot and Lindy guy. :)

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » August 31st, 2014, 11:03 pm

There should be a ballroom at the eatery!!!

Elliot Altbaum
City Center

Postby Elliot Altbaum » September 1st, 2014, 7:19 am

Apparently there's a place where you can learn salsa in uptown. Maybe someones house but I've just heard of it.
Famous Dave's has Swing and Salsa on Monday and Tuesdays. http://www.famousdavesbluesclub.com/music_events.html

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » September 1st, 2014, 7:54 am

IObviously, there won't be a lot of business travelers staying in Uptown and during the week, that's most hotels bread and butter.
I think you'd be surprised. My colleagues from other cities would definitely stay in an Uptown hotel. I bet it would be full of business travelers every week. When I travel to other cities for work, and have the flexibility, I do try to find hotels in unique neighborhoods. One week in a suburban Marriott will teach you that. I used to work on a project where we had people fly in and work with us every week, so they basically lived in a hotel Monday through Friday, sometimes the same hotel for weeks or even months on end. By then, they know the fun neighborhoods in the city, and they want to be there in the evenings.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » September 1st, 2014, 11:02 am

One unique attribute of a hotel in Uptown is the close proximity to the Chain of Lakes and the parkway system. We have one of the best and most beautiful urban park systems in the US. There really is no hotel in this town that takes advantage of this amenity.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » September 1st, 2014, 11:12 am

And 2 cool movie theaters, a lot of retail that's "hot" right now, multiple bars and restaurants, bike rentals, paddle boarding, kayaking, swimming, the bakken museum. There's a lot in that area and people sometimes want a hotel that's going to be close to all of the action.

Pip

Postby Pip » September 1st, 2014, 11:59 am

Pip: Rich people have friends who want to stay in the same area that their rich friend is in. Next to a large nightlife with some good shopping options. Really I don't see why this hasn't been top priority for Ackerberg and Graves
Yeah, somewhat. However, I think these rich people are generally going to invite their friends up in the summer. The winter could be some lean months, obviously the hotel needs to be highly occupied year round to be profitable. Also, some places offer guest rooms for rent. For example, Track 29 where I live, offers a guest apartment you can rent out for a weekend. If you were visiting your friend, would you rather stay at a hotel a couple blocks away or stay at your friends apartment in your own apartment? I guess I could see people answer either way.
I'd settle for a ballroom in Uptown! Not many places to learn and go dancing anymore.
Personally, I'd like to see a ballroom similar to the Millennium Hotel downtown. 360 glass enclosed. You'd get a great view of Uptown and into downtown. That's the kind of unique feature that could make the hotel stand out.
I think you'd be surprised. My colleagues from other cities would definitely stay in an Uptown hotel. I bet it would be full of business travelers every week. When I travel to other cities for work, and have the flexibility, I do try to find hotels in unique neighborhoods. One week in a suburban Marriott will teach you that. I used to work on a project where we had people fly in and work with us every week, so they basically lived in a hotel Monday through Friday, sometimes the same hotel for weeks or even months on end. By then, they know the fun neighborhoods in the city, and they want to be there in the evenings.
I agree, I think there will be some but most business travelers just want a hotel close to their business, which in most cases will be downtown. We also have a lot of big businesses like UHG, Best Buy, and Cargill which are all based in the suburbs, I don't see many of those people staying in Uptown. Cost could be an issue too and a lot of businesses book travel for their employees. Some of those who book their own travel for work seek a cool hotel but most people will just pick a hotel close to their work. I've been the guy stuck in a suburban Marriott for a week so I know where you're coming from.
One unique attribute of a hotel in Uptown is the close proximity to the Chain of Lakes and the parkway system. We have one of the best and most beautiful urban park systems in the US. There really is no hotel in this town that takes advantage of this amenity.
Agreed. If an Uptown hotel does open, it would have to do a good job selling the lakes and other outdoor attractions as well as Uptown itself. However, like I mentioned earlier, it's easy to sell lakes and whatnot during the summer but selling Minnesota's winters are hard. Especially a hotel in the heart of the city which isn't close to any ski resorts or anything.
And 2 cool movie theaters, a lot of retail that's "hot" right now, multiple bars and restaurants, bike rentals, paddle boarding, kayaking, swimming, the bakken museum. There's a lot in that area and people sometimes want a hotel that's going to be close to all of the action.
Mostly summer attractions.

Like I said, I'd like to see an Uptown hotel but I'm trying to play devil's advocate and figure out why it's taken so long and what concerns someone like Graves would have. A few things are clear in my mind. First off, marketing will be key to success. It needs to clear that 1. an Uptown hotel exists 2. what if offers versus another hotel 3. why it makes sense to stay Uptown even if you're planning on visiting/ doing business in another part of the city. Secondly, like I said, the hotel needs to be unique and have a draw other than the fact it's a place to sleep. Graves seems to acknowledge that in the article when he says they'd want a restaurant/ bar to help support the hotel. Lastly, it needs to able to retain high occupancy even during the winter months. I think this could be a main concern of someone like Graves. I have no doubt a hotel could be successful May-September but the winter months could make or break a hotel like this. That's why I suggested a waterpark even though it's kind of tacky. That's the kind of attraction you could fill in a Uptown on a cold January day when all the outdoor pools are closed and obviously Calhoun is frozen over.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » September 1st, 2014, 12:14 pm

Winter is one of those things everyone in the hotel business is going to complain about. Movie theaters are still open and the stores and bars are too. You can cross country ski or snowshoe on the lakes. If you're going to say that a hotel won't work because: Winter. Then we might as well stop building hotels in areas that are packed and hot spots during the summer, because no one's there during the winter? No. This is a location that sees people year round, there of course is a dip of tourism in the winter but you have to remember that Code24 is planning on locating in Uptown along with multiple other business when the new Moziac building goes up. And it's not just the people in apartments, it's also the 25-40 year olds with small kids that are living in the houses near the lakes, sometimes there's not enough room for family and friends so it's nice to stay close

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » September 1st, 2014, 2:31 pm

And it's not just the people in apartments, it's also the 25-40 year olds with small kids that are living in the houses near the lakes, sometimes there's not enough room for family and friends so it's nice to stay close
Truth. If we are fortunate enough to have another kid, there won't be room for the in-laws and their three kids to stay in our house. There's barely room now.

I too am somewhat skeptical about an Uptown hotel but there might be just enough there to support a small one. As for winter, the Loppet and Pond Hockey events will be a draw.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » September 1st, 2014, 3:26 pm

Well, Mr Graves is quite a savvy hotel developer, and if he's confident Uptown can support a boutique hotel, I defer to his wisdom ;)

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » September 1st, 2014, 8:58 pm

Well, Mr Graves is quite a savvy hotel developer, and if he's confident Uptown can support a boutique hotel, I defer to his wisdom ;)
I'll agree with you there. I'm sure they have been looking at market studies since the first attempt at the Mozaic was on the drawing board. With the new office space that will be coming on line and I'm sure there will be more to come to fill a few of those empty parking lots. There is more of a reason now to build a hotel than there was 5 years ago. While some apartment have guest suites, if it is already booked when your family or friends decide to visit, where will they stay. Couple hundred apartment means a lot of possible guests that they may have to compete with for those suites. Holiday weekends especially.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » September 25th, 2014, 12:09 pm

John mentioned in the Mosaic thread that Ackerberg confirmed to him that they had a 100-125 room concept for the Calhoun square lot.

According to articles It's about 28,000 sq/ft. Average room is 300-400 sq/ft. How many floors? I'd guess about 3000 sqft for services, elevators and halls. Plus building setbacks etc. My guess is 5-6 stories at 25-30 room per floor.

(Edit: moved me to uptown hotel thread)
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

TommyT
Target Field

Postby TommyT » September 25th, 2014, 12:28 pm

Kind of wonder if there's any possibility of doing mixed use retail, hotel, office. The demand for office is obviously there.