New Target Building - (1001 Nicollet Mall)

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
PhilmerPhil

Re: New Target Building - (1001 Nicollet Mall)

Postby PhilmerPhil » September 13th, 2012, 3:27 pm

Hopefully they respond to the demand and add legitimate showers to their restrooms. It's such a shame that all the bums end up having to use the sinks.

Lancestar2

Postby Lancestar2 » September 13th, 2012, 4:20 pm

http://blogs.citypages.com/gimmenoise/2 ... target.php

I'm sorry but this story is just plain stupid......
should we call up sesame street on Target for STEALING the word of the day? I also would agree the story was poorly written thought I wonder if it is true they are refusing to turn over the sign to the rightful owner. Which if so it would be a illgeal use of the word IT :lol:

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » September 13th, 2012, 6:26 pm

Hopefully they respond to the demand and add legitimate showers to their restrooms. It's such a shame that all the bums end up having to use the sinks.
Naw but f'real, I wish they'd get rid of the damn bench out front...
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

4-d
Metrodome

Postby 4-d » September 17th, 2012, 9:47 pm

I have a legitimate source inside for Target, a lead designer there, who told me they plan to go at least 60 stories on this site in the near future.

Also, every target is remodeled every 7 years so it makes sense that Target DT will be remodeled soon.

This project was a design/build project, so it is likely that some things were modified from the original plan such as the over hangs. We were hanging around over there the other day with one of Ryans and talking about planters and edging. It was "riveting" Hahaha
^ 4-d

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » September 18th, 2012, 6:13 am

so...they're spending millions of dollars to renovate this building for employee amenities only to tear it down for a 60 story skyscraper "in the near future"? umm ok.

and that wcco building isn't going anywhere. it's one of the best designed buildings downtown. and it actually looks like a television station occupies it. 30 years on and it still fronts that corner wonderfully.

spearson
Landmark Center

Postby spearson » September 18th, 2012, 7:49 am

Yeah, that wcco building is pretty nice, I don't see why they would need to remove it. The Nicollet was setup to work in that smaller footprint, no reason why some imaginary Target building can't as well.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » September 18th, 2012, 9:13 am

For what it's worth, Jeff, the original rumor poster, was a pretty frequent contributor to past versions of this forum.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » September 18th, 2012, 7:10 pm

so...they're spending millions of dollars to renovate this building for employee amenities only to tear it down for a 60 story skyscraper "in the near future"? umm ok.

and that wcco building isn't going anywhere. it's one of the best designed buildings downtown. and it actually looks like a television station occupies it. 30 years on and it still fronts that corner wonderfully.
A new Target office building has never included either The Handicraft Building or WCCO. The part of the block that would be redeveloped are the two buildings along Nicollet Mall ( currently being renovated), and the side lot ( along 10th Street) now being converted into a private outdoor park/ plaza. Yes, they could build a 60 story building there if they wanted to as the site is large enough. And what they mean by "in the near future" can be interpreted different ways. My hunch is possibly 5-10 years from now.

Unity77
Landmark Center

Postby Unity77 » September 18th, 2012, 7:28 pm

Yes, they could build a 60 story building there if they wanted to as the site is large enough. And what they mean by "in the near future" can be interpreted different ways. My hunch is possibly 5-10 years from now.
Yes, they (Target) could IF they wanted to, but IMO, they will end up forcing the city of Minneapolis to face off against one of its 300+ communities / suburbs for subsidies. That said, my hunch is that Target will never build a 60-story building in downtown MPLS. Actually, I don't ever see downtown MPLS with a 60-story tower or anything that surpasses the "big" three in height.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » September 18th, 2012, 7:54 pm

Yes, they could build a 60 story building there if they wanted to as the site is large enough. And what they mean by "in the near future" can be interpreted different ways. My hunch is possibly 5-10 years from now.
Yes, they (Target) could IF they wanted to, but IMO, they will end up forcing the city of Minneapolis to face off against one of its 300+ communities / suburbs for subsidies. That said, my hunch is that Target will never build a 60-story building in downtown MPLS. Actually, I don't ever see downtown MPLS with a 60-story tower or anything that surpasses the "big" three in height.
I bet when the Foshay was built , everybody thought there would never be a building taller than that one in Minneapolis!. The idea was almost unfathomable. I am not convinced of your argument. For example, Hines owns the 10th and Marquette block, and I suspect they have big intentions for that site when the timing is right. And I wouldn't rule out Target building something big. They are wealthy and growing, and will likely be a global retail chain in the future. I can't imagine a corporation of that stature not wanting to project a bolder image for their headquarters. I doubt they would build a pip-squeak (a la Xcel Energy) building downtown.

JMS9

Postby JMS9 » September 18th, 2012, 8:30 pm

I bet when the Foshay was built , everybody thought there would never be a building taller than that one in Minneapolis!. The idea was almost unfathomable. I am not convinced of your argument. For example, Hines owns the 10th and Marquette block, and I suspect they have big intentions for that site when the timing is right. And I wouldn't rule out Target building something big. They are wealthy and growing, and will likely be a global retail chain in the future. I can't imagine a corporation of that stature not wanting to project a bolder image for their headquarters. I doubt they would build a pip-squeak (a la Xcel Energy) building downtown.
Unity is right, IMO. We know that both Wells Fargo and Capella were designed to be taller than IDS. Much taller, in fact. Both between 900' - 1,100'. Now we have three that are pretty much the exact same height? And Capella put the halo on top to sneakily take the "tallest" crown only to have IDS get "permission" of sorts to include some rooftop elevator shaft and the antennas in their height list? For lack of a better term, it was an architectural dick measuring contest and I doubt they (whomever they are) will let Target walk in and swing the biggest one around the room, without raising a stink.

If Target or Opus or both, build towers downtown they will probably be in the 600'-700' foot range.

Jeff
Block E

Postby Jeff » September 18th, 2012, 9:39 pm

Sounds crazy, but that is the plan. 5-7 years. No idea how tall the new building will be, but know for certain they are trying to acquire the WCCO building. $15 M is a drop in the bucket for Target.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » September 18th, 2012, 9:57 pm

If Target or Opus or both, build towers downtown they will probably be in the 600'-700' foot range.
I think that the IDS as the gauge for building height is a relic from the 90's. I think if a proposal came out for a well designed tower of 950 feet ( within the downtown area zoned for skyscrapers) it would be well received by the community. Remember, we actually almost had a 950 foot tower after Norwest bank burned down in the late 80's. It was the developer Oxford Properties who sabotaged the building at the last minute. The bank wanted to build it.I definitely believe there will be a "supertall" proposed in the next few years if the economy holds up. It's inevitable.

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » September 19th, 2012, 6:25 am

well cool it'd be awesome if we get a building to top IDS. it's been too long for that to happen. some sort of silly minnesota deference to what i'm not exactly sure.

i hope target see's enough growth to warrant a new downtown building on nicollet mall. driving by their brooklyn park campus is rather sad.

and it's nice to see hines be so buillish on downtown. also opus becoming a major player again is good news.

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » September 19th, 2012, 6:27 am

i'd hate to see that wcco building demolished. (and i don't think it would be, it's become rather iconic) but hopefully it could be incoroporated into a possible new development.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » September 19th, 2012, 9:04 am

Totally, hopefully they would just use that building along with their new tower... it's such a beautiful building with no need to go.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » September 19th, 2012, 11:23 am

I have to say, what is the point of building something only 15% taller than the IDS (~950 feet)? It wouldn't stick out enough and I think it also potentially really screws up our "mountain top" skyline, and I didn't like what Philly's new tallest did to their skyline. Unfortunately, that means the next tallest Mpls building would have to be at least over 1,000 feet, but preferably closer to 1,100 feet tall. That way it would have enough prominance over the existing 775 foot current tallest buildings. 1,100 feet is about 70-75 floors, at ~15 feet between floors. And assuming 20K SF floor plates (fairly average for a half block tower downtown), the building would have to be at least 1.5 million SF of office space.

I'm not saying it's impossible, but for this to truly happen I think Target and at least one other firm would have to co-anchor the site. I can't think of whose lease may be up in 5-10 years......

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » September 19th, 2012, 1:05 pm

It seems like the WCCO building is split into two parts... most of the studios are right along 11th, and that's where the building is more "interesting" and then there's more of a standard design building into the block. The studios are both closer to 11th but I think I heard the control facilities are more in the north part of the building. Those are probably the expensive parts to move. I thought it would be great if they could keep the studios, but then the other part gets incorporated into the base of a new tower even if they have to move their offices slightly... it may be doable. Just because Target would end up buying the building doesn't mean all (or any) of it would change.

Lancestar2

Postby Lancestar2 » September 20th, 2012, 12:08 am

I agree it would be wonderful if WCCO was able to occupy the first few floors of any new Target tower. Also they could easily move across the street to Target existing HQ during any construction! I always thought Target was the best shot at getting a new tallest. It would be like the Sears tower of Minnesota! : :D

Also maybe when Target moves forward with building a tower (5-10years or so) then maybe WCCO could move to a bit more dense location on Nicollet. Possible on 9th street then they can get more of the farmers market in the background shot. Or around 8th street (where the Men's warehouse is now) looking north east at the IDS. Of course ideally the new redesign of Nicollet mall will happen by then which would improve the beauty of the streets a bit. Might be a blessing in disguise by the time the project is planned to start. Although if they do stick with the Target new building they can sure put there towers and dishes up high! :mrgreen: ...which I'm sure they would enjoy!

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » September 20th, 2012, 7:53 am

It would be like the Sears tower of Minnesota! : :D
Don't you mean the "Burj Khalifa" of Minnesota?? ;)