Local Business Recommendations

Introductions - Urban Issues - Miscellaneous News, Topics, Interests
FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Local Business Recommendations

Postby FISHMANPET » September 22nd, 2014, 7:04 am

Because let's be honest, Yelp can be kind of terrible.

My cat peed on one of my suits which means I find myself needing a dry cleaner. And since it's cat pee and I don't want my suit ruined I want to make sure I take it to a place that's going to do a really good job. I work on campus and I thought there used to be one there but it seems that's not the case. So I'm guessing my best bet is something downtown? Willing to drive somewhere else because a suit ain't cheap.

PhilmerPhil

Re: Local Business Recomendations

Postby PhilmerPhil » September 22nd, 2014, 7:13 am

Why is Yelp terrible? For the most part, I agree with many of the general reviews on restaurants. As for service related businesses, there probably isn't a big enough sample size to get an accurate overall picture of their quality.

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » September 22nd, 2014, 7:18 am

There have been articles about Yelps downfalls. Google it and you'll find a lot. Quick story, I have a friend who's family business has thousands of customers a month, they have 5-6 reviews on yelp. Sample size is none existent.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » September 22nd, 2014, 7:19 am

Online reviews suffer from the problem of people usually only posting negative reviews. And also, there usually isn't enough of a sample size to get any good idea if there's an actual trend or if someone's pissy because they're just pissy.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » September 22nd, 2014, 7:19 am

Though, to be honest, my (now former) tailor has pretty accurate Yelp reviews which tell the same story: decent work but he's so overworked nothing will be done on time.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » September 22nd, 2014, 7:27 am

Don't have any recommendations about dry cleaners. But I'll offer as alternatives to Yelp, Angie's List and Nextdoor. Angie's list just pulled a handful up.

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » September 22nd, 2014, 7:45 am

Right, most reviews are wildly undersampled. But for restaurants, I've found Yelp to be really helpful, as they usually have 50+ reviews. That's enough to filter out the pissy ones. I have found some killer local gems while traveling thanks to Yelp.

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » September 22nd, 2014, 7:54 am

My wife and I use Mulberrys for eco-friendly dry cleaning. I'm not sure if they have a downtown location, though.
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » September 22nd, 2014, 7:57 am

Ironically Mulberry's showed up as an ad on Yelp, with a review that said they melted the dude's buttons. Since I've got the same type (horn, not fake plastic) I might want to avoid them...

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » September 22nd, 2014, 8:03 am

Ha. Go figure. My bad.
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » September 22nd, 2014, 8:05 am

Also I say bring on the nasty chemicals, I don't think C02 is going to get rid of cat pee :D

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » September 22nd, 2014, 8:15 am

I can recommend Hallmark on 46th/Bloomington. Bonus: walking.

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » September 22nd, 2014, 12:38 pm

I am not sure they will be able to get cat pee out...I had that happen a while back, and after 2 cleanings you could still smell it. Cat pee pretty much ruins everything.

Chava
Nicollet Mall

Postby Chava » September 22nd, 2014, 3:29 pm

Yeah, if your suit can't handle any liquid it's screwed. Natures miracle enzyme based "urine destroyer" is the only product that I've seen that can really eliminate let odors.

tabletop
Nicollet Mall

Postby tabletop » September 22nd, 2014, 4:04 pm

Tom's Tailor on Grand in St. Paul. Good folks.

winterfan
Metrodome

Postby winterfan » September 24th, 2014, 6:23 pm

I always go to Peter Pan on 38th and Grand. I've always been happy with the results. The negative Yelp reviews don't match my experience either.

PhilmerPhil

Re: Local Business Recommendations

Postby PhilmerPhil » December 4th, 2014, 4:27 pm

I am on the hunt for a venue to host a skateboard video premiere this February. We're looking for something in Minneapolis with a capacity of approximately 300. Can anyone think of any theaters that would be somewhat affordable to rent out? In the past, I've done premieres at the Oak Street Cinema, Suburban World, and the Bell Museum. The Bell is still an option, but I just wanted to see if anyone knew of anything else out there.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » December 4th, 2014, 5:40 pm

I am on the hunt for a venue to host a skateboard video premiere this February. We're looking for something in Minneapolis with a capacity of approximately 300. Can anyone think of any theaters that would be somewhat affordable to rent out? In the past, I've done premieres at the Oak Street Cinema, Suburban World, and the Bell Museum. The Bell is still an option, but I just wanted to see if anyone knew of anything else out there.
I think the music box is usually pretty reasonable. Or was for my friends ep release

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » December 4th, 2014, 9:50 pm

How big is Pepito's Parkway Theater? They've stopped showing regular movies there and are only doing special events.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » December 4th, 2014, 10:17 pm

I know folks at the parkway.... Worth considering but they've been spendy when I've planned events. A smaller venue that is great and cheap is huge theater in lynlake... They rent it out.