Cedar Avenue corridor - South Minneapolis

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
PhilmerPhil

Re: Cedar Ave - Nokomis Area

Postby PhilmerPhil » September 30th, 2014, 7:09 am

Seedy or not, I'm very into the aesthetic of those motels. Can we at least preserve their signs?

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » September 30th, 2014, 8:50 am

I'm sure that cemetery was put in along side a county road way back when the area was still undeveloped or farmland. To be pissy about a land use that was very much a part of our culture for the last century. I'm sure that cemetery was platted out close to 100 years ago. To quote the Rolling Stones,"You don't always get what YOU want". You have to live with decisions made 100 years ago to not just those made today!

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » September 30th, 2014, 9:03 am

I have no issues with the cemetery there. I have issues with the unfriendly nature of Lyndale Ave past the cemetery. There's no boulevard, the sidewalk is barely 6' wide (haven't actually measured—just eyeballing), and there are countless signs taking up sidewalk space. The Bachman's side is essentially the same. And yes, both those land uses have been there for decades—dating back to when Lyndale was a sparsely developed county road to Richfield. The street itself can be vastly improved without impacting either of those land uses.

Great information, twincitizen! I wish I'd seen that planning document before spending any time and energy imagining that area redone. It was quite the comprehensive document. I also like everything Mr. Dybvig had to say, up until he dropped the Bachman's easement bombshell. It sure would be nice to narrow that road and do what the planning document suggested, rather than stick with the four lane highway. Perhaps by the time the rebuilding needs to happen, everything with Bachman's will be ironed out and we can get a two lane street instead.
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » September 30th, 2014, 9:14 am

I have no issues with the cemetery there. I have issues with the unfriendly nature of Lyndale Ave past the cemetery. There's no boulevard, the sidewalk is barely 6' wide (haven't actually measured—just eyeballing), and there are countless signs taking up sidewalk space. The Bachman's side is essentially the same. And yes, both those land uses have been there for decades—dating back to when Lyndale was a sparsely developed county road to Richfield. The street itself can be vastly improved without impacting either of those land uses.

Great information, twincitizen! I wish I'd seen that planning document before spending any time and energy imagining that area redone. It was quite the comprehensive document. I also like everything Mr. Dybvig had to say, up until he dropped the Bachman's easement bombshell. It sure would be nice to narrow that road and do what the planning document suggested, rather than stick with the four lane highway. Perhaps by the time the rebuilding needs to happen, everything with Bachman's will be ironed out and we can get a two lane street instead.
I was talking about Cedar and not Lyndale. This thread I thought was supposed to be about Cedar. The only cemetery that I can find on Google maps is at Lake and Cedar which has been there for at least a century. St Mary's cemetery is on Chicago if we are confused about a cemetery south of 43 st. The Oak Hill Cemetery across from Bachmans, on Lyndale south of 60th, is like the Cedar/Lake Cemetery. These cemeteries are very old and were placed where they are, because it made it convenient for people to visit their deceased relatives before there were bus lines and shopping malls and the worry about the pedestrian experience. These were in undeveloped areas when they would platted.

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » September 30th, 2014, 10:02 am

This thread is about Cedar, yes. I detoured it (ha! construction pun!) to Lyndale somewhat on accident. I also made the first mention of a cemetery in my Lyndale detour. You said we shouldn't get pissy about long-standing land uses. I explained that I wasn't pissy about it. One of the fellers with a green username should split off the Lyndale portion of this thread and then we can debate these edge-of-the-city freeway tentacles in two different places.
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

Realstreets
Nicollet Mall

Postby Realstreets » September 30th, 2014, 10:33 am

I was talking about Cedar and not Lyndale. This thread I thought was supposed to be about Cedar.
Yes get that Lyndale crap outta here :x ;)

To be honest, the reason Cedar is so heavily used is that Hiawatha is out of the way/backtracking AND access to the neighborhood via I35 is restricted by limited access (ramps) and the cluster**** of traffic flow along 38th st and 46th Street. I'm no highway apologist and I love Lake Nokomis but Cedar Ave is vital to traveling(driving) north through SE Minneapolis. But maybe this is all a moot point as the bridge isn't going anywhere...

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » September 30th, 2014, 10:37 am

...Cedar Ave is vital to traveling(driving) north through SE Minneapolis.
While this is certainly true, shouldn't it be more vital to driving *to* SE Minneapolis rather than *through*?

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » September 30th, 2014, 10:40 am

In before someone angrily corrects you guys that this is not "SE Minneapolis". It's just S Minneapolis, or Nokomis if you need to be more specific. Do people living in Nokomis and Longfellow actually call that part of town "Southeast Minneapolis"? (Like out loud, verbally)

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » September 30th, 2014, 10:47 am

In before someone angrily corrects you guys that this is not "SE Minneapolis". It's just S Minneapolis, or Nokomis if you need to be more specific. Do people living in Nokomis and Longfellow actually call that part of town "Southeast Minneapolis"? (Like out loud, verbally)
I'll agree, but you somehow have to separate the areas east and west of 35W or some will get confused on where you are talking about when you just say south MPLS.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » September 30th, 2014, 10:55 am

Many people do call it Southeast. I usually say South Mpls, then specify "East of 35W" or "East of Hiawatha" which seems to be more clear. Longfellow (the community, not the neighborhood) seems to have much more specific connotation with "East of Hiawatha" since it's a common neighborhood organization.

The Nokomis area is much more fragmented, and even the neighborhood orgs are hyphenated mouthfuls (except for Nokomis East - props for not going with Keewaydin-Minnehaha-Morris Park-Wenonah Neighborhood Group (KMMPWNG). I've been trying to label Field-Regina-Northrop and Hale-Page-Diamond Lake as "Nokomis West" but one person saying it a few times does not spark a trend.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » September 30th, 2014, 11:04 am

I live a block south of the 50th Street LRT Station. I often call where we live Southest Minneapolis to those who aren't from the area - because here, everyone thinks of SE Mpls as the U of M area. Which boggles my mind. So when describing where we live to those who are from here, I say S. Mpls, near the airport, or S. Mpls, near the VA.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » September 30th, 2014, 11:12 am

^SE is east of the river, and south of Hennepin, for the same reason why St. Paul's westside is west of the river (south of Downtown) rather than being Highland/Mac-Groveland/Merriam Park. Our early planners were river-centric.

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » September 30th, 2014, 11:17 am

*copout* I used "SE MPLS" because Realstreets did */copout*

Echo what Matt and HiawathaGuy said: it depends on who I'm talking to when I describe where I live. "South Minneapolis? Where are you relative to 35W?" "East..."

And as a proud citizen of Field-Regina-Northrop, the FRNNG designation reminds me of the school consolidation alphabet soups of my youth out in ND.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » September 30th, 2014, 11:33 am

You better have your FRN yard sign, mister.shoes!

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » September 30th, 2014, 11:37 am

We Love Our Neighborhood!

...but we don't have a sign. G*** across the street does. He's holding down the neighborhood pride fort on our block.

Realstreets
Nicollet Mall

Postby Realstreets » September 30th, 2014, 12:04 pm

...Cedar Ave is vital to traveling(driving) north through SE Minneapolis.
While this is certainly true, shouldn't it be more vital to driving *to* SE Minneapolis rather than *through*?
Agree, I use it for both. I live there...

I raised the issue of neighborhood naming in another thread. There's a southwest Minneapolis (according to the city's map) so shouldn't there be a southeast Minneapolis? With that said the City's neighborhood boundaries are far too large and a more nuanced way of referencing these areas is needed.

Archiapolis
US Bank Plaza

Postby Archiapolis » September 30th, 2014, 12:43 pm

Seedy or not, I'm very into the aesthetic of those motels. Can we at least preserve their signs?
Umm, could you elaborate on your statement that you are "into the aesthetic" of the motels?

I'll hold off on my march of time/progress rant until I hear more about what you hold dear.

EDIT: Just saw a new thread for this specific area...<sad trombone>

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » September 30th, 2014, 1:57 pm

There's a southwest Minneapolis (according to the city's map) so shouldn't there be a southeast Minneapolis?
There is one...the University area. It's just kind of silly in why they did it.

Tom H.
US Bank Plaza

Postby Tom H. » September 30th, 2014, 2:13 pm

I call them "West South" and "East South" Minneapolis to avoid confusion.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » September 30th, 2014, 11:23 pm

There's a southwest Minneapolis (according to the city's map) so shouldn't there be a southeast Minneapolis?
There is one...the University area. It's just kind of silly in why they did it.
Not silly at all. It's related to the two major transportation arteries at the time: the river and Hennepin Ave.

Also, remember that Northeast/Southeast was originally a separate city so the naming reflects that as well. Hence Main Street is on the "wrong" side of the river, avenues suddenly switch from E-W to N-S and other oddities.