Guerrilla Urbanism

Introductions - Urban Issues - Miscellaneous News, Topics, Interests
Silophant

Re: Guerrilla Urbanism

Postby Silophant » September 14th, 2014, 12:15 pm

That would be cool, but then we have to get a unique sticker printed for each and every stop. I don't know what the cost differential would be, but I assume it would be significantly more expensive than just printing a couple hundred blank sticker that we then write the specific route numbers on with marker.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » September 14th, 2014, 1:44 pm

QR codes would require printing an individual design for each sticker, though, which would drive up costs very quickly.

Also, real people just don't use them: http://marketingland.com/the-death-of-the-qr-code-37902

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » September 14th, 2014, 7:25 pm

Did I mention my prototype? Excel-based generates pdfs laser printed on a special label stock, then applied to coroplast.

mulad

Postby mulad » September 15th, 2014, 7:24 pm

Okay, I had to look up "Coroplast" -- a brand of corrugated plastic. Old campaign signs? (I think my dad and I finally carved up his last one from election efforts in 1996 and 1998 a few months ago...)

Smoothuser
Block E

Postby Smoothuser » September 18th, 2014, 9:59 pm

Also, real people just don't use them: http://marketingland.com/the-death-of-the-qr-code-37902
Just got to say, I am real. And I use them all the time for Bitcoin.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » September 19th, 2014, 6:01 am

Anecdote != real world adoption. The people who would use them are tech-savvy and well-informed; they're really not the ones these little signs are going to be most useful for in the first place.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » September 19th, 2014, 11:21 am

"I parked in a bike lane" stickers. Get ready for passive aggressive urbanism!

http://bit.ly/1qQX8oL

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » September 19th, 2014, 11:55 am

I hope the cops are waiting and issue a ticket for the car driver, and arrest the person putting stickers on the cars for vandalism. Idiots.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » September 19th, 2014, 12:00 pm

It's a sticker, you can take it off.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » September 30th, 2014, 9:47 pm

Anyone with graphic design skills want to draft something for the Twin Cities? I'll (seriously) pay to print the first 100 stickers. They might not survive the winter, but I'm willing to start a movement to show Metro Transit we're serious about getting better stop information. I don't think the stickers would even have to be as big as the ones they have in Brazil. Room to write the route number(s), direction, and the Stop ID# is probably plenty. This would be primarily for busier bus stops that do not have shelters today. Metro Transit's own audit indicated something like 400 stops that qualified for shelters, but didn't have them. We could start there (or just crowdsource it and let people put 'em up at the 10 stops closest to their home/work). I think even like 5 urbanmsp'ers could make a serious dent.

Let's do it! Who's our graphic design pro? Get me something soon and I'll start ordering stickers. First 100 are on me.
So, I was thinking about this again today, and it still seems like a good idea. I made a couple of quick-and-dirty mockups:Image

The smaller one is 3x3", and the larger one is 3x5", so the route number is about 2" high. Looking at the pictures now, I'm thinking it might be simplest/best to use 3x5" stickers, with only one route number per sticker, and the remaining space can be used for the stop ID or direction as needed. I feel like stops that serve more than one route are more likely to have official signage (as this one does), and we can just use multiple stickers for the multi-route stops with nothing but a useless sign. What do you guys think?
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Anondson
IDS Center

Guerrilla Urbanism

Postby Anondson » September 30th, 2014, 9:50 pm

Bolder font/print needed. No need where official signage, IMO. This is coming along, and I like it!

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » September 30th, 2014, 9:57 pm

This just gave me another idea. I think I might go around and try to remove as much of that graffiti pen as I can, looks like a can of remover is $8

Silophant

Postby Silophant » September 30th, 2014, 10:23 pm

Bolder font/print needed. No need where official signage, IMO. This is coming along, and I like it!
Yeah, I made them beforehand, in my apartment, then walked down Hennepin to find that all the 6/12 stops (north of Franklin, at least) have official signs, shelters, or both. Oops. Agreed that a thicker marker would be better.

As far as printing them goes, PSPrint looks to be having a sale until Oct. 15th, which makes the price pretty reasonable - and with pretty serious volume discounts: 100 stickers for $60, 500 for $106, and 1000 for $120.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

maxbaby
Landmark Center

Postby maxbaby » October 1st, 2014, 5:17 am

This just gave me another idea. I think I might go around and try to remove as much of that graffiti pen as I can, looks like a can of remover is $8
Now here's someone that loves his city. Every little bit helps. Thank you.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » October 1st, 2014, 9:01 am

If you remove the graffiti, people won't know that the 4? stops there.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » October 1st, 2014, 9:25 am

Duluth can manage to put route numbers on their signs, even out here.

ImageTransit signage in the Fond Du Lac neighborhood of Duluth by mattaudio, on Flickr

MSPtoMKE
Rice Park

Postby MSPtoMKE » October 8th, 2014, 11:23 pm

So, which one of you's guys posted this?

Guerrilla Urbanism by MSPdude, on Flickr
My flickr photos.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » October 8th, 2014, 11:29 pm

That's actually really really good! A large white spot will be good to do many stops

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » October 9th, 2014, 7:39 am

Anecdote != real world adoption. The people who would use them are tech-savvy and well-informed; they're really not the ones these little signs are going to be most useful for in the first place.
People like me! :?

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » October 9th, 2014, 7:46 am

I hope the cops are waiting and issue a ticket for the car driver, and arrest the person putting stickers on the cars for vandalism. Idiots.
I agree......to an extent. I hate it when people put flyers on my car for instance, since they're basically just making me pick up and throw away their garbage (and oh by the way, will you buy something from me? No!). However, arresting somebody for fairly passively (or passive-aggressively) putting stickers on wrong-doer's cars is a bit excessive.

Tickets for the illegally-parked drivers and a ticket + warning citation for the "stickler" seems more appropriate. Two warnings = a violation. 10 of those, and you get a reprimand. 3 reprimands later you may just find yourself with an even larger warning citation............ :D