CHS Field (St. Paul Saints Ballpark)

The Most Livable City in America™
MNdible
is great.

Re: Saints Lowertown Ballpark

Postby MNdible » October 11th, 2014, 8:52 am

The Saints play terrible baseball. I'm always stunned when I hear people say that the Twins are bad so they're going to watch the Saints instead . The level of skill is not even comparable.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » October 11th, 2014, 8:58 am

Also, you can get Twins tickets on StubHub for less than the cost of a combo meal at McDonald's. Obviously it's more expensive inside, but, I mean, flasks, and I'm sure that the concessions at the new Saints ballpark won't be cheap either.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » October 11th, 2014, 10:30 am

Saints went to the playoffs this year. When I went to a game they hit 3 homers in an inning. The saints are supposed to be a fun hometown team, and they've accomplished that. Also Bill Murray

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » October 12th, 2014, 11:25 am

Also, you can get Twins tickets on StubHub for less than the cost of a combo meal at McDonald's. Obviously it's more expensive inside, but, I mean, flasks, and I'm sure that the concessions at the new Saints ballpark won't be cheap either.
Yeah, I don't really get the argument that the Twins are too expensive. You can get great, close seats for maybe $60 and the prices dive from there. If you have a student ID (even an old one), you can get $5 tickets...or for free, like what happened to my friends. Some Twins lady just walked up and handed them to us. :mrgreen:

web

Postby web » October 12th, 2014, 12:13 pm

well the team sux so of course people are giving tickets away for free!!

J2K
Metrodome

Postby J2K » October 13th, 2014, 12:11 pm

The Saints play terrible baseball. I'm always stunned when I hear people say that the Twins are bad so they're going to watch the Saints instead . The level of skill is not even comparable.
Beers cost $8.50 at Twins games. Enough said.

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » October 13th, 2014, 12:27 pm

The Saints are lower than rookie A ball. Enough said.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » October 13th, 2014, 12:36 pm

They're independent league by choice, I don't get your hate against the Saints.. They're a fun team

J2K
Metrodome

Postby J2K » October 13th, 2014, 2:04 pm

Saints games are great fun and are very affordable. I don't understand your hate. I'm from St Paul and always pictured a ballpark where the Gillette building once was, and now it's there!!

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » October 13th, 2014, 2:19 pm

I don't hate the Saints, but I guess I don't understand the unconditional love for them either. Whenever I've been to one of their games, it feels like I went to a carnival where they happened to be playing baseball. Back when the Twins were playing at the Dome, I was more willing to put up with the sideshow to see baseball outdoors. Now that the Twins play in one of the best outdoor ballparks in the majors, I'm not.

J2K
Metrodome

Postby J2K » October 13th, 2014, 2:42 pm

I understand what you're saying about the quality of play in the Saints league but players play minor league ball for the love of the game. Their pay is very low and 99.9% of them will never reach the big leagues. Half the Twins roster (league minimum over $500K/year) would be in AAA ball if the team wasn't so lousy - I've seen some bad baseball at Target Field the past 3 years so why not see some "bad" ball in St Paul too?

bubzki2
Foshay Tower

Postby bubzki2 » October 13th, 2014, 3:20 pm

... Half the Twins roster (league minimum over $500K/year) would be in AAA ball if the team wasn't so lousy ...
Yes, the Twins have been bad ... but you have no idea what you're talking about.

PS. I'm excited to see the Saints play. Comparing Northern League independent baseball to MLB-affiliated class A clubs is just plain ignorant and misses the point entirely of the Saints.

J2K
Metrodome

Postby J2K » October 13th, 2014, 4:44 pm

... Half the Twins roster (league minimum over $500K/year) would be in AAA ball if the team wasn't so lousy ...
Yes, the Twins have been bad ... but you have no idea what you're talking about.

PS. I'm excited to see the Saints play. Comparing Northern League independent baseball to MLB-affiliated class A clubs is just plain ignorant and misses the point entirely of the Saints.
That was uncalled for. I guess I have no idea what I'm talking about. Urban MSP... Everyone knows better than everyone else.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » October 13th, 2014, 6:42 pm

UrbanMSP: Poking holes in hypothetical experiences since 2012.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

Tom H.
US Bank Plaza

Postby Tom H. » October 14th, 2014, 9:03 am

I think some people are saying the Twins play poorly (relative to their high-talent league), while others are saying the Saints play well (relative to their low-talent league). I can see the merits of both - nobody really wants to go see their home team lose 60% of their games.

I grew up watching the Sioux Falls Canaries as my home team, so I can sort of relate to the Saints love, but it's a little different in a small city where it's the only option you've got.

LRV Op Dude
Union Depot

Postby LRV Op Dude » October 14th, 2014, 9:33 am

Timelape of the new turf being intalled.

Blog: Old-Twin Cities Transit New-Twin Cities Transit

You Tube: Old, New

AKA: Bus Driver Dude

ProspectPete
Union Depot

Postby ProspectPete » October 14th, 2014, 12:38 pm

It will be fun to be outside in a beautiful venue watching baseball. As far as the quality? Who cares! Some of the most boring games I've ever gone to have been meaningless late summer MLB games.
On the other hand, some high school games can be a blast. I look forward to patronizing not just the Saints, but also Hamline, the high school championships, and what ever other baseball events that are played there.

Now, if Minneapolis could only get their act together resurrect the Millers and have them play at Siebert Field....That would be a fun rivalry;-)

HuskyGrad
Union Depot

Postby HuskyGrad » October 16th, 2014, 11:46 am

Sometime along the way they shortened the suite level along the 3rd base line. I would venture to guess it was a cost saving measure.

http://lowertownballpark.com/live-webcam/

Also on the video above, is the black wall in center field the batter's eye or is it a video screen?
Last edited by HuskyGrad on October 16th, 2014, 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

bubzki2
Foshay Tower

Postby bubzki2 » October 16th, 2014, 11:52 am

The lighting structures obviously changed, too. Probably a host of changes were made by the looks of it.

HuskyGrad
Union Depot

Postby HuskyGrad » January 21st, 2015, 10:14 am

Seating going in this week.
http://chs-field.com/live-webcam/