Tri-Tech Building

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
martykoessel
Landmark Center

Tri-Tech Building

Postby martykoessel » October 24th, 2014, 12:28 pm

This is probably less of a topic than a question that I otherwise see no place to put. Are those big, ugly machines located in what used to be a drive thru area generators? They're ugly as sin and have exhaust ducts aiming directly over the sidewalk. How did something like that get approved? Would current codes allow this sort of thing to happen? Has anyone ever heard of suggestions for putting those things where they ought to be and filling in most of that drive thru area with something more conducive to street life?

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Tri-Tech Building

Postby HiawathaGuy » October 24th, 2014, 12:37 pm

They look like they've been there a while.
https://www.google.com/maps/@44.9784113 ... 0aa6oQ!2e0

Thankfully generators don't really run all that often - so it's not like people walking by are constantly blasted by exhaust fumes.
I'm not really sure where you'd expect them to put these... like them or not, they are sort of essential to everyday business for any office building.

martykoessel
Landmark Center

Postby martykoessel » October 24th, 2014, 1:02 pm

Yeah, I know that they've been there for ages and that generators are necessary. However, I haven't seen any others downtown so oppressively placed. Where do they usually go? Rooftops? Behind walls with only the end of the vents showing? Would current zoning allow generators to be placed right next to sidewalks like this with no screening?

nickmgray
Union Depot

Postby nickmgray » October 24th, 2014, 3:04 pm

I don't think there is any code which dictates where generators are placed. once the design of a building is approved, they can pretty much move item like this anywhere they want as long as they are changing the structure of the building. I don't think anyone would intentionally design a building and put generators is a spot like this. What we're looking at here was retrofitted at some point and the space was probably used because it was the most economical.

While there may not be any rules against putting generators right on the street, most neighborhood would raise it as an issue during the review process if anyone tried to propose this as part of a new project.