Northeast and Southeast Minneapolis - General Topics

Northeast, Near North, Camden, Old St. Anthony, University and surrounding neighborhoods
grant1simons2
IDS Center

Re: Northeast - General Topics

Postby grant1simons2 » September 7th, 2014, 11:03 am

Don't trust yelp, they just got caught manipulating votes and adding false reviews

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » September 9th, 2014, 5:13 pm

The old Minneapolis public school building was the subject of a deal closed today with Hillcrest developers to covert it into office space

http://www.startribune.com/local/blogs/274531161.html

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » September 11th, 2014, 2:21 pm

I can't figure out whether to classify NIcollet Island as Northeast or downtown, so I'm just leaving this here. De LaSalle is building a very small expansion and modernizing another part of their building:
http://minneapolismn.gov/www/groups/pub ... 130873.pdf

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » September 11th, 2014, 2:38 pm

Strangely (and wrongly, I'd say), Nicollet Island/East Bank neighborhood is technically classified as part of the "University" Community of Minneapolis: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University,_Minneapolis
But for all intents and purposes it's Northeast, even if partially in Southeast.

Minneapolisite

Postby Minneapolisite » September 12th, 2014, 1:08 pm

Fair State Brewing Co-op is now open (next to Aki's on Central just north of Lowry): didn't know it was only the 3rd brewery co-op in the nation. Central has really shaped up nicely with the new restaurants, shops, and now with a taproom along with the Mill NE you'll actually want to go out to Central on a Friday/Saturday night. Before that I think Adelita's was the only place that had a bar.

http://www.kare11.com/story/news/local/ ... ign=buffer

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Postby nordeast homer » September 12th, 2014, 1:55 pm

I went last weekend, they have really good beers! The bakery next door delivers fresh pretzels that are quite simply the best pretzels ever made!

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » September 12th, 2014, 3:33 pm

Any word on how Bauhaus stacks up to its competition? Still have to make it over there.
I rather enjoy Bauhaus. Some of it is the atmosphere...they've done some really cool things with the industrial space and indoor/outdoor transition. But the beer is actually quite tasty too. I suppose it depends on what you consider its competition...all of the microbreweries? Or only certain ones?

Minneapolisite

Postby Minneapolisite » September 12th, 2014, 3:51 pm

Competitors in the NE vicinity.

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » September 15th, 2014, 8:24 am

Competitors in the NE vicinity.
Of the NE breweries, I find myself typically enjoying Indeed and Bauhaus the most. Dangerous Man is good, but I haven't had a chance to really try out all of their beer because it's always crazy busy when I visit. While I enjoy 612, I find it to be the most "bland" of the breweries.

Of course, I'm not sure if our tastes align, but Bauhaus seems to be making some pretty tasty stuff (when they're not sold out of any given beer!) and their space really is awesome.

dbaur31
City Center

Postby dbaur31 » September 15th, 2014, 11:52 am

Been to Bauhaus once and really enjoyed it. As was mentioned, their space is quite cool and will have especially strong appeal when it's possible to be outside. I think they have the best patio space of any of the NE breweries. Seems to me their proximity to 612 will be complementary even though I also think they may tend to have a baseline appeal to slightly different crowds. Yeah they are "competitors" in a sense, but my experience is that people tend to enjoy brewery hopping a bit and these two are so close and so easy to travel between that there's no reason not to check out both. I think Dangerous Man and Indeed still make the best beer overall of the NE breweries, but Bauhaus is absolutely a worthy addition to the scene and I'm looking forward to see what they do once they feel they've got their feet underneath them.

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » September 17th, 2014, 7:26 pm

My personal rankings:
Beer:
1. Dangerous Man
2. Indeed
3. Bauhaus
4. 612

Atmosphere:
1. Bauhaus
2. Indeed
3. 612
4. Dangerous Man

Minneapolisite

Postby Minneapolisite » September 18th, 2014, 4:24 pm

612 just didn't match up beer-wise and feels like a sports bar. Sounds like Bauhaus has a good chance of making it into the rotation though.

Nick
Capella Tower

Re: St. Anthony Main

Postby Nick » October 5th, 2014, 6:04 pm

Image[/url]
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » October 13th, 2014, 3:50 pm

@DangerousMan7: Just a reminder, in case you missed it, Pizzeria Lola is opening a restaurant next door to us!!! We're just a tad excited!!!
https://twitter.com/DangerousMan7/statu ... 3358013440

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » October 16th, 2014, 12:01 pm

@DangerousMan7: Just a reminder, in case you missed it, Pizzeria Lola is opening a restaurant next door to us!!! We're just a tad excited!!!
https://twitter.com/DangerousMan7/statu ... 3358013440
Great to see Lola adding a 2nd location in NE!

Pizzeria Lola plans second Minneapolis location

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » October 20th, 2014, 11:15 am

The old Minneapolis public school building was the subject of a deal closed today with Hillcrest developers to covert it into office space

http://www.startribune.com/local/blogs/274531161.html
It's going to be used by Sport Ngin! Win for the building! Looks great in the renderings

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/b ... ls-hq.html

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » October 20th, 2014, 11:22 am

FYI here's the 807 Broadway NE thread... https://forum.streets.mn/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1207

MplsSteve
Nicollet Mall

Postby MplsSteve » October 27th, 2014, 11:56 am

It was recently reported in the Superior Plating thread that Hennepin County Commissioner Peter McLaughlin is apparently on board with the conversion of East Hennepin and First to two way streets. I'm wondering if and how this might affect the Nicollet/Central streetcar, which I believe will go down a portion of E Hennepin.

Also, how would they feed both a two way E Hennepin and First Ave across the Hennepin Avenue bridge? I keep thinking about it, but I just can't imagine what kind of interchange would be needed. Can anyone provide a similar example?

mulad

Postby mulad » October 27th, 2014, 3:35 pm

Hmm. Doing a little measuring on Google Maps, it looks like Hennepin and 1st both have the same amount of overall right-of-way, about 82 feet from building face to building face -- Hennepin has wider sidewalks, so it feels narrower driving down it.

I've been leaning in the direction of converting Hennepin to a transit/bike/ped mall and only having 1st as the two-way. Hopefully that makes the bridge rearrangement a bit simpler -- handling how traffic crosses over to get between bridges perplexes me a bit, but one of the two parallel spans over the Mississippi main channel might also be dedicated as transit/bike/ped, while the other would carry all of the car traffic (yet probably still retain a significant bike/ped area).

I'm not describing this well -- I may try to whip up a map later.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » October 27th, 2014, 6:29 pm

I've been leaning in the direction of converting Hennepin to a transit/bike/ped mall and only having 1st as the two-way.
How would that work, though? With the huge traffic counts on Hennepin and 1st, could you really squeeze that on four lanes?