Third Wave Coffee Shops

Introductions - Urban Issues - Miscellaneous News, Topics, Interests
Minneapolisite

Re: Third Wave Coffee Shops

Postby Minneapolisite » July 17th, 2014, 6:26 pm

So I guess only our downtown is filled with suits, despite plenty of 1st hand experience in Downtown Chicago and Columbus proving that it's far from alone in having a large chunk of its demographics consisting of suits.

tabletop
Nicollet Mall

Postby tabletop » July 18th, 2014, 7:29 am

Your right Minneapolisite... The numerous graphic designers in Minneapolis who ARE tied to their corporate offices throughout downtown HATE sitting in coffee shops working on laptops, and all the service industry employees are NEVER hungover on their way to work and they all LOVE Starbucks!... It would never work...

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » July 18th, 2014, 8:17 am

I drank Taco Bell coffee on my way to work this morning, and it was awful. Fourth wave coffee?
\shame

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » July 18th, 2014, 8:54 am

you guys have really put the claim evidence and warrant into this, I've been out logiqued. definitely lawyered to death.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » July 18th, 2014, 10:10 am

I drank Taco Bell coffee on my way to work this morning, and it was awful. Fourth wave coffee?
\shame
Skip the coffee, go straight for a Sausage AM Crunchwrap and Waffle Taco.

Source: I'm the mayor of my local Taco Bell on Foursquare.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » August 5th, 2014, 10:10 pm

\shame

I just had a Taco Bell ad on Facebook that said fishmanpet likes Taco Bell. They are using you.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » August 5th, 2014, 10:22 pm

\shame

I just had a Taco Bell ad on Facebook that said fishmanpet likes Taco Bell. They are using you.
*like*

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » October 28th, 2014, 12:50 pm

I went to Shinola for the first time today. Yes -- there is finally legit coffee downtown. They're serving dogwood and the barista was good. It's kind of a bizarre environment though. Two well dressed sales people hovering while you wait for your coffee and pretend to be interested in watches/notebooks/dog collars. This doesn't completely settle the argument above but it's an interesting business decision to include coffee here...
Towns!

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » October 28th, 2014, 2:02 pm

Two well dressed sales people hovering while you wait for your coffee and pretend to be interested in watches/notebooks/dog collars.
Wait men don't like bikes, watches, leather belts and leather wallets anymore? What has this world come tow?!

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » October 28th, 2014, 2:26 pm

I think the original complaint was about the lack of a cbd 3rd wave shop, nit that's exciting! I'll have to check it out!

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » October 28th, 2014, 3:13 pm

Two well dressed sales people hovering while you wait for your coffee and pretend to be interested in watches/notebooks/dog collars.
Wait men don't like bikes, watches, leather belts and leather wallets anymore? What has this world come tow?!
The products are pretty cool. I do like the leather goods for the most part. But it's still a slightly odd/uncomfortable coffee environment, especially if you were a regular. I'm not sure if they see it as a real business of just a way to increase foot traffic to the store.
Towns!

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » October 28th, 2014, 3:19 pm

I think the original complaint was about the lack of a cbd 3rd wave shop, nit that's exciting! I'll have to check it out!
Wait...I thought part of the argument was that the North Loop (and Loring Park, Mill District, Elliot Park, etc.) weren't part of the actual CBD, therefore they didn't count... ;)

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » October 28th, 2014, 3:24 pm

The products are pretty cool. I do like the leather goods for the most part. But it's still a slightly odd/uncomfortable coffee environment, especially if you were a regular. I'm not sure if they see it as a real business of just a way to increase foot traffic to the store.
Alright I can agree with that. I wonder if they're paid on commission, you can usually tell. Most places in North Loop it seems like they're not. Askov Finlayson's hardly even noticed when I walked in the door, neither did that place kitty corner

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » October 28th, 2014, 3:32 pm

Alright I can agree with that. I wonder if they're paid on commission, you can usually tell. Most places in North Loop it seems like they're not. Askov Finlayson's hardly even noticed when I walked in the door, neither did that place kitty corner
I think it seems more likely they can size up who has money and who is there to browse. I saw plenty of people get help at Martin Patrick 3, but I was not one of them when I was with one of my friends. :mrgreen:

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Postby talindsay » October 28th, 2014, 3:53 pm

Not that I'm their target market anyway, not being a millenial, but I have a hard time imagining Shinola as a high-end brand: they were a shoe-polish company, and are known only for the "he can't tell shit from shinola" expression that probably had currency a generation before me - not exactly a positive connotation for a supposed high-end brand. Whatever makes people happy I suppose, but it seems an odd candidate for the phoenix treatment.

Realstreets
Nicollet Mall

Postby Realstreets » October 29th, 2014, 8:50 am

I didn't know Shinola was also a coffee shop. Getting off topic a bit but Shinola in it's current incarnation is a result of venture capitalists creating a brand to sell watches (look at how much Fossil made last year). With that stated I think it's cool they manufacture the watches in Detroit.

Back to coffee. I think a place like Angry Catfish or Peace coffee would do well in the CBD.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » October 29th, 2014, 9:12 pm

Wait...I thought part of the argument was that the North Loop (and Loring Park, Mill District, Elliot Park, etc.) weren't part of the actual CBD, therefore they didn't count... ;)
That's exactly what I was saying ;)

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » November 12th, 2014, 8:46 am

Spyhouse likely to open a permanent shop in their pop-up shop location at 811 Glenwood:

http://blogs.citypages.com/food/2014/11 ... y_a_go.php

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » November 12th, 2014, 8:59 am

So, what about 4th wave coffee?
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » November 26th, 2014, 9:06 pm

Not exactly a story about local places, but an interesting read on third wave coffee shops adding cocktails being a trend.

http://punchdrink.com/articles/the-thir ... ign=buffer