[Archived] Uptown Retail & Restaurant News 2012-17

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Re: Uptown Restaurant News

Postby seanrichardryan » October 22nd, 2014, 8:47 am

Yes. 2 floors and a rooftop
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

twincitizen

Re: Uptown Retail News

Postby twincitizen » October 29th, 2014, 6:23 am

As noted by Grant in the Southside thread, Ducati at Lyndale & 28th is closing. From their website:
Our final day will be October 31st.

We hope it has been apparent to all of our friends and customers how much we have appreciated the support, trust and friendship you have extended to us over the years. It is these things that made Ducati Minneapolis a special place for us. This is what we will all miss in the end and it is these things that we are so grateful to all of you for. Thank you from all of us here, we hope you keep in touch in the years to come, it has been a great chapter in our lives and we will always remember these days at 28th and Lyndale!
So many changes for Lynlake this summer/fall: Tatters gone. Falafel King gone. Cause has not reopened (though I assume that is still happening). Country Bar still vacant.

I'm not really complaining about any of the above changes, but hopefully those spaces are filled soon.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » October 29th, 2014, 6:48 am

Has Cause still not reopened? I thought I saw people walking in and out of there one night. I'm glad they're trying to use the corner. I sent off an e-mail to Texas RE about the closure of Ducati and she said she'll look into whether or not they plan on re-opening somewhere else. Rent has just gone up so much in this area it's going through changes. I saw the retail space open of the space Everyday People used to occupy on Loopnet finally, they're asking for $25 per sq ft.! That's as much as some spaces downtown.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » October 29th, 2014, 11:10 am

Got an e-mail response from the manager at Ducati
Thank you. I know that this was quite the Italian candy store. We had an
amazing 5 year ride...with a huge loss...There is no money to be made in an
exclusive shop with a 6 month riding season. :( Ducati will plug in again,
but not in the city...:(( Have an amazing day!
It makes sense. I kind of forgot that winter is a major affect on motorcycles

TommyT
Target Field

Postby TommyT » October 29th, 2014, 11:45 am

Didn't realize they were only there for 5 years. Seemed like they've been there since I moved here in 2006. Crazy.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » October 29th, 2014, 12:02 pm

Having only lived in the neighborhood since early 2011, I just assumed they were a longstanding fixture. 9/2009 Google streetview confirms that they were not yet open at that time. I'm guessing they had a 5-year lease, and now was a good time to close up shop as the experiment just didn't work out.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » October 29th, 2014, 12:19 pm

I don't think the winter really matters, particularly ina pretty wealthy metro. In fact, this list of bikes per capita shows that cold-weather states (MN, IA, NH, SD, WI, ND, MT, VT) are all found in the top 10. MN has over half the number of motorcycles of TX with 1/5 the population.

I think a non-Harley make-specific dealership is the challenge. Leo's South & Moto Primo in Lakeville move an insane number of bikes, but they do so partly by carrying multiple brands (and other powersport stuff like jet skis, etc).

With all that said, I would have thought this Ducati dealership was doing pretty well.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » October 30th, 2014, 10:59 am

Prairie Dogs taking a second crack at Kickstarter. Somewhere in Lynlake. Per Twitter, Lynlake Brewery is excited, so I'm guessing it's pretty durn nearby. Country Bar space maybe? Falafel King spot?

http://www.twincities.com/localnews/ci_ ... ickstarter

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » October 30th, 2014, 12:03 pm

Prairie Dogs taking a second crack at Kickstarter. Somewhere in Lynlake. Per Twitter, Lynlake Brewery is excited, so I'm guessing it's pretty durn nearby. Country Bar space maybe? Falafel King spot?

http://www.twincities.com/localnews/ci_ ... ickstarter
Eater says it'll be at the former Gray House at 610 Lake Street.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » October 30th, 2014, 1:19 pm

Hopefully they replace that awful storefront. I believe it may be a major reason for the 'curse' on that spot. You walked in there and it was like you fell into a funeral naked. Everyone looked up as the cold air rushed in. The angles ruin the laayout.

Also, JJs on Knox and Lake has papered its windows. Anyone know?

gpete
Union Depot

Postby gpete » October 30th, 2014, 2:34 pm

JJ's is undergoing a "fun rebrand": https://twitter.com/jjscoffeeco/status/ ... 2647562241

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » November 3rd, 2014, 5:31 pm

TommyT
Target Field

Postby TommyT » November 12th, 2014, 9:48 am

Has anyone seen the plans for the Cowboy bar (Jacks? Wild Bills? Whatever is going there) for the Social House space? Is it going to be a multi-level club? Looks like they are doing a complete makeover of the entire building.
Okay, I'm quoting myself... but I noticed driving by the other day they've begun demolishing the 2nd floor of the building. I'm VERY curious what the design plans are here?

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » November 12th, 2014, 11:44 am

Has anyone seen the plans for the Cowboy bar (Jacks? Wild Bills? Whatever is going there) for the Social House space? Is it going to be a multi-level club? Looks like they are doing a complete makeover of the entire building.
Okay, I'm quoting myself... but I noticed driving by the other day they've begun demolishing the 2nd floor of the building. I'm VERY curious what the design plans are here?
I agree, Not sure what they have planned for that. Makes no sense to me as is. Good thing we did not have a foot of snow for them to scope off.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » November 17th, 2014, 10:44 pm

Walked by the Floor Expo building yesterday and they are putting up some metal supports for some odd looking exterior. Not sure what they have planned, but it looks strange to me.
It's starting to look like the new library. I think they're trying to follow the Uptown-Modern trend.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » November 17th, 2014, 11:16 pm

It's looking like an awful grey box.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » November 18th, 2014, 8:32 am

I think it's great! Very glassy, modern geometrics, whimsical colored window pop ups and from what I've heard from the staff incredibly functional.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » November 18th, 2014, 9:07 am

Talking about flooring expo, not the library.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » November 18th, 2014, 9:17 am

Ahaha. Yikes read further down, Nathan. Sorry!

I'll reserve judgement on flooring expo until it's complete I have to say I'm leaning towards it being a net gain over cheesy Gothic murals

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » November 18th, 2014, 12:56 pm

Some kind of bar going in the Calhoun Building at 711 West Lake: http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/www/gro ... 133738.pdf

"Volstead’s Emporium"...apparently will have a speakeasy theme and live jazz. It states the entrance will be at the rear of the building...which seems a little off. While it contributes to the speakeasy vibe, how are people going to know it's there?