Rumors: A Historical Record of Mystery

Introductions - Urban Issues - Miscellaneous News, Topics, Interests
mullen
Foshay Tower

Re: Rumors!

Postby mullen » October 23rd, 2014, 10:00 am

this is something fitting for abu dhabi or shanghai. the funkiest new buildngs are going up in middle east/asia. it would immediately be minneapolis' signature building for good or ill.

but i tend to agree this design was an outlier.

VAStationDude
US Bank Plaza

Postby VAStationDude » October 23rd, 2014, 8:56 pm

How on earth would a supertall convention hotel be viable? Is there some type of unfulfilled market for ultra high end hotel rooms on the very edge of downtown? Is the top Mary Kay sales woman continually skipping over Minneapolis for the next convention because Chicago has the Trump hotel, Miami beach has the Fontainebleau and Manhattan has short term rental pent houses?

This is complete bull from a very bored hoaxster or a not very serious idea.

nBode
Union Depot

Postby nBode » October 23rd, 2014, 10:08 pm

This is complete bull from a very bored hoaxster or a not very serious idea.
Based off of various comments, on various forums, by people definitely in-the-know; I believe there is 100% interest in a new convention center hotel tower (from multiple parties and probably quite tall, up to 1000ft). It is neither of those two things.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » October 23rd, 2014, 10:15 pm

It was a render from earlier this year that was leaked without permission. It's wasn't for the public to see and was the least likely project. Likely is a 700-800 foot tower by someone in the US, only one local proposal is on the table. But this shows the interest in our town and proves it's not just Ryan, Doran, Opus, etc.. It's also international, albeit crazy, proposals as well. They're here and or coming and this is proof of it.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » October 24th, 2014, 7:38 am

That grainy rendering is authentic as far as I know. I saw the same one earlier this year from a reliable source. I have strong doubts that it will be the design that is ultimately selected though.
What makes you say that?
Did you see it? Doesn't Hennepin Cty have the end say in who is selected? Do you really think those down home Minnesotans are going to choose that?
I didn't see it -- it was taken down before I could, and I'm kind of glad I didn't, in hindsight.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » October 24th, 2014, 8:13 am

MN Fats
Union Depot

Postby MN Fats » October 24th, 2014, 8:16 am

Looks like Metrodome is in the background of the 2nd image... are we sure these are from this year?

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » October 24th, 2014, 8:17 am

It was a render from earlier this year that was leaked without permission. It's wasn't for the public to see and was the least likely project. Likely is a 700-800 foot tower by someone in the US, only one local proposal is on the table. But this shows the interest in our town and proves it's not just Ryan, Doran, Opus, etc.. It's also international, albeit crazy, proposals as well. They're here and or coming and this is proof of it.
so defensive of this. Leaked implies without permission, I think we all understood that. International groups submit proposals for our projects all the time, and did for the i35w bridge and all sorts of things, it makes it fun to talk about but their chance of becoming investors in our neighborhood time and time again is fleeting. The second we're not a hot market they're out etc etc... so we tend to pick local or national investors (hopefully)

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » October 24th, 2014, 8:18 am

Looks like Metrodome is in the background of the 2nd image... are we sure these are from this year?
Renderings from LPM had completely different city scapes in the background, and I'd imagine this has been more than a year in the making.

IllogicalJake
Target Field

Postby IllogicalJake » October 24th, 2014, 10:48 am

so defensive of this. Leaked implies without permission, I think we all understood that. International groups submit proposals for our projects all the time, and did for the i35w bridge and all sorts of things, it makes it fun to talk about but their chance of becoming investors in our neighborhood time and time again is fleeting. The second we're not a hot market they're out etc etc... so we tend to pick local or national investors (hopefully)
I believe he was responding to the "this is complete bull from a very bored hoaxster" comment, in which case I think further explanation is welcome.
i talk too much. web dev, downtown. admin @ tower.ly

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Re: 1500 Nicollet Half Block

Postby grant1simons2 » October 29th, 2014, 9:21 am

It wouldn't be out of place for long. As Texas said earlier this year; developers are going to start building up the southern part on Nicollet ave around the highway. She even specifically mentioned to watch 1500 Nicollet

NickP
Target Field

Postby NickP » October 29th, 2014, 12:05 pm

Not to rain on the parade but I think we should get rid of the links to those photos, or at least, I think someone should report them to Texas on SSC. She seemed very angry that they had been leaked in the first place and the links on SSC have been removed. I think it would better to not associate with the whole situation. Just my two cents. :-)

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » October 29th, 2014, 9:15 pm

Not to rain on the parade but I think we should get rid of the links to those photos, or at least, I think someone should report them to Texas on SSC. She seemed very angry that they had been leaked in the first place and the links on SSC have been removed. I think it would better to not associate with the whole situation. Just my two cents. :-)
Think links go to nothing, so I don't think it matters if we delete them.

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Postby Minneboy » October 30th, 2014, 4:21 am

I get pictures.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » October 30th, 2014, 6:35 am

They lead to the leaks. Please take them down.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » October 30th, 2014, 6:41 am

These are all over the web. Here's another place that had them, apparently a scan of a leaked investor packet?
ImageImage

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » October 30th, 2014, 6:43 am

I'm 100% serious. Texas said she'd be nice about it the first time and everyone on SSC politely took down the pictures. She said she "dealt with the person who leaked it" and I don't know what that means but it's not good. Just please take these down before I have to get her over here.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » October 30th, 2014, 6:47 am

It's not your job; stop acting so self-important. If the people behind these pictures wanted them taken down, they could send a DMCA order.

bapster2006
Foshay Tower

Postby bapster2006 » October 30th, 2014, 7:32 am

Yep, don't stress about it. These proposals get put out in the public all the time. Nobody is getting fired or going to court over it.

holmstar
Nicollet Mall

Postby holmstar » October 30th, 2014, 7:36 am

It's not your job; stop acting so self-important. If the people behind these pictures wanted them taken down, they could send a DMCA order.
She did, actually, but you know how difficult it can be to get something off the internet once it's gotten out there. I think the point is just that we can either contribute the problem, or help.