Vikings Stadium Miscellaneous Discussion

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Jfuss
Metrodome

Re: Vikings Stadium

Postby Jfuss » September 29th, 2012, 6:46 pm

It would be interesting to see what the preliminary designs were for Lucas Oil and for Cowboys Stadium.

Lancestar2

Postby Lancestar2 » September 29th, 2012, 7:50 pm

http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/3ywo35fG ... lQgfWq8-f2

I wish more people wanted a URBAN stadium (of course it would have to be scaled up in size) but a Stadium open air but with the option for a roof with 4 apartment towers on the corners 3 of them slightly higher than the building with retail on the bottom. The forth tower could be a wonderful urban building where crazy football nuts could live and get a beautiful view of all good weather games LOL :lol: Also retail on the sides of the stadium here and there maybe a hotel instead? Either way it would be much better than a single use building. Also I think it would fit much better into the space and blend in much more. We don't need a city icon space that will become dated in about 20 years.

4-d
Metrodome

Postby 4-d » September 30th, 2012, 9:23 am

I'd like to see something more like lancecaster posted in London. I like these crazy designs but they have no staying power in the fast pace athletic stadiums. I like The Walker, The Wiesman, and The Guthrie as our 2000+ iconic buildings. If we want to be a cutting edge city, we need more edgy residential towers and mid-rises.
^ 4-d

spearson
Landmark Center

Postby spearson » September 30th, 2012, 9:48 am

http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/3ywo35fG ... lQgfWq8-f2

I wish more people wanted a URBAN stadium (of course it would have to be scaled up in size) but a Stadium open air but with the option for a roof with 4 apartment towers on the corners 3 of them slightly higher than the building with retail on the bottom. The forth tower could be a wonderful urban building where crazy football nuts could live and get a beautiful view of all good weather games
I've always wondered why any new stadiums haven't incorporated some type of luxury apartments or condos into them, along with street level retail. These buildings are ghost towns 99% of the year.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » September 30th, 2012, 10:14 am

I'd like to see something more like lancecaster posted in London. I like these crazy designs but they have no staying power in the fast pace athletic stadiums. I like The Walker, The Wiesman, and The Guthrie as our 2000+ iconic buildings. If we want to be a cutting edge city, we need more edgy residential towers and mid-rises.
Yikes -- not me! I'd rather have the surrounding neighborhood than the stadium (I love that rowhouse townhome look of SUBURBAN Europia!). I think those mixed-use cluster-F's can really look attrotious sometimes. It reminds me of Arbor Lakes in Maple Grove, or some of the MANY examples I've seen in other U.S. cities (a grocery store/big box strip center in Elgin, IL and another with Woodfield Mall in Schaumburg, IL come to mind), that just look so mish-mashed and poorly put-together......I've almost never seen it done gracefully. I LIKE Mixed-use in concept, but the reality of what's been built so far is that developers just don't really have it down just yet.

NickP
Target Field

Postby NickP » September 30th, 2012, 2:00 pm

Hey, John, if you do go could you pitch my Norse/Scandinavian theme? I'm in Boston and so can't do it myself. I still think the upside-down viking ship ala Lillehammer would be awesome. :)

Jfuss
Metrodome

Postby Jfuss » September 30th, 2012, 3:35 pm

I really want the design to be highly imaginative and creative. Something that is distinctive and iconic, so that when people see it on TV they know that is Minneapolis. It needs to be gives Minneapolis a presence.

I hope that they follow what is being built elsewhere for soccer stadiums and olympic venues. There is so much creativity that is going on for stadium designs outside of the U.S. I do not want another oval shaped stadium or anything that says hey here is a football stadium.

In the grand scheme of things, it should resemble a piece of art, like what the new renderings show. It needs to make people say Wow!!!

I also want it to connect well to its present and future surroundings, like how Target Field does. I don't want it to be other building and surrounding area that is used only during sporting events.

The Vikings and MSFA need to step out of their comfort zone and really make this something special even if it means spending a little more money.

nickmgray
Union Depot

Postby nickmgray » September 30th, 2012, 6:20 pm

If the design is done right, the stadium can be used for much more than just sporting events. The TCF stadium with its large suites is used weddings and other reception type events. If they incorporate a large atrium area, they could rent it out for corporate events, exhibits and much more. The problem is that people think of a stadium as a single use facility. When you start imagining the space as a simple venue which has a football stadium as its centerpiece, things the developers can get a lot more creative.

I honestly think something of this magnitude needs to stand out a bit from the neighborhood, but help attract people to it. I think the best way to do this is to have an inviting plaza in the front which it the focal point that the surrounding blocks can tie into. If the blocks around the stadium compliment it, you create an area in the middle which becomes an attraction on its own. Imagine a town square with public transit, art, restaurants, a hotel, shops and a half dozen of those trendy new food trucks that everyone seems to love. Add in some green space and it could be the central park that everyone seems to want.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » September 30th, 2012, 10:38 pm

As long as it can be used for roller skating (aka Rollercome) I'll be happy.

And the Gopher stadium does get a fair amount of use outside of games, mostly because it was designed (or I assume it was designed) to host other types of events.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » October 1st, 2012, 11:13 am

I think everybody here is on the same page in that we want a unique, progressive stadium that is worth the $1 billion investment. That said, reading some of the posts I think some people have unrealistic expectations.

Namely, I think people have to accept that the stadium is going to have a lot of space around it.

While I think most people here love that Target Field was able to uniquely wedge itself into a tiny space, that's simply not the reality of the Metrodome area. And further, large stadiums of the "iconic" nature generally do have huge open spaces around them. This is true for Wembley Stadium in London, the Bird's Nest in Beijing, Millenium Stadium in Cardiff, Allianz Arena in Munich, Emirates Stadium in London, Yankee Stadium in New York and, notably, the oft-mentioned example of Aviva Stadium in Dublin.

This doesn't have to be a bad thing. The space around the stadium ideally helps showcase a unique building, and if done right the public space can serve a purpose throughout the year. Ultimately, though, the Vikings stadium is being built as a mass gathering space for special events, not as a neighborhood ball park like Wrigley Field.

MumfordMoses
City Center

Postby MumfordMoses » October 1st, 2012, 3:33 pm

Both designs are a departure from the retro or semi-modern designs of the past 5 years, which I like. But as far as aesthetic competition, I think the Farmer's Field proposal in LA looks better than either preliminary design.

A

My problems with design A, elevate it more and please gives us a better sense of surrounding, I don't know which city scapes they pasted around it. Nonetheless, I dig the roof - a ton of potential with this design.

B

My problem with design B, it looks like a strudel with honey comb windows - it grows on you and the lighting will be special. It seems to be a step up from the Phoenix stadium - much more light. I hope giant windows open on both sides, endzones, as suggested. I don't think a retractable roof is necessary - big, open-close windows throughout the stadium. For fun, they should let the fans open the windows via big cranks and capture the energy into the grid - play Zeppelin's "Immigrant Song" during the open or closing of the windows : ).

http://www.dreamstime.com/stock-image-a ... age6263231.

I also don't like the imagined cityscapes around it, much closer than the first one, but if you're going to go as far as mostly replicating the skyline, then show the Hiawatha line - this rendering has too much road around it.

A versus B

A has a far better roof & light potential. B takes more risks & we can see more of it, esp as it is better integrated into the skyline and DTE.

The strength of both designs, they can be cleaned up, lines, greenspace and better schematics will only add to the ultimate design. I also want to see some non-Kasota stonework, though limestone can be really cool in combination with other stone types and colors.

m b p
Nicollet Mall

Postby m b p » October 1st, 2012, 9:05 pm

I really like the horns in the plaza of 'a'... along with the large cutout of the crystal-like, dare I say it, dome. And that's kind of what it reminds me of... a beautiful almost metrodome inspired building.

'B' has really grown on me. I'm more in love with it today than when I first saw it. I guess you don't necessarily "need" a retractable roof for an astounding stadium. But still... It's trying to do too many things at once... like the capella tower (in theory not in image). Not ugly, but, like I said... trying to be too many things... and not fully being any of them... if that makes sense? Plus, I'm a bit scared that people will think it's ugly in 20 years.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » October 2nd, 2012, 9:37 am

To be sure, those aren't actual proposals.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » October 3rd, 2012, 8:04 am

Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

m b p
Nicollet Mall

Postby m b p » October 3rd, 2012, 2:37 pm

"Fisher said that all five competing firms offered strong proposals for the Vikings stadium. But he thinks that HKS struck a chord with the Minnesota Sports Facilities Authority by pitching the most adventurous concepts."

f-ing awesome ;-)

Jfuss
Metrodome

Postby Jfuss » October 3rd, 2012, 3:19 pm

From the article...http://finance-commerce.com/2012/10/obs ... town-east/

...HKS presented concepts with fixed roofs with a different spin, he said. “They did these two schemes that were challenging the idea of ‘Do you need a retractable roof’?” Fisher said, including one that “opened up visually to the sky.” Fisher added: “I think they were just suggesting that there might be other ways to achieve what people want.”...

I agree with the above quote. I don't want them to make noticeable sacrafices to other areas of the stadium just to have a retractable feature.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » October 8th, 2012, 12:15 pm

A few tidbits from the "Scoping Environmental Assessment":
  • Permanent closure of 5th St S between 11th Ave S and Chicago Ave
  • Temporary closure of surrounding roadways on game days
  • Construction of a new freeway entrance ramp from 4th St to northbound I-35W to begin in Spring 2013, led by Hennepin County
Maybe this isn't new info, but I figured it could spur some discussion of the transportation impacts/issues in the area

Rich
Rice Park

Postby Rich » October 8th, 2012, 12:19 pm

More info about HKS from the Strib:

"A stadium rendering won't be publicly unveiled until January, at the earliest. Before then, HKS plans to travel the state to talk with Minnesotans and gather perspective on what they want to see. The first meeting is set for Oct. 15 at Minneapolis City Hall."

http://www.startribune.com/local/minnea ... ml?refer=y

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » October 8th, 2012, 2:29 pm

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » October 8th, 2012, 3:05 pm

Looking at that map reminds me how confusing Washington Avenue is from the West Bank to Seven Corners.

Can't we just re-name the Washington Avenue that runs through campus "Jerry Kill Avenue" or something?