The Walkway - (1312 West Lake Street)

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
Nathan
Capella Tower

The Walkway - (1312 West Lake Street)

Postby Nathan » June 1st, 2012, 1:22 pm

Anybody heard anything new about this? It would probably be the most exciting, vital addition to the uptown area if it were built.

6 stories
92 units
2 restaurants?
retail?
212 parking spaces
gets rid of Cowboy Slimes and a big ole surface lot...

dmdhashw
Nicollet Mall

Re: The Walkway

Postby dmdhashw » June 1st, 2012, 2:44 pm

Rendering of the project.

spectre000
Landmark Center

Postby spectre000 » June 1st, 2012, 2:53 pm

This project has been renamed "City Walk". http://www.ouruptown.com/2011/12/cowboy ... revisions/

mplser
US Bank Plaza

Postby mplser » June 1st, 2012, 5:36 pm

so zero new news in the past 6 months?

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » June 1st, 2012, 6:27 pm

I'm pretty sure this is an approved project. If I recall correctly, I think its going to start construction this fall. This is my favorite design that BKV's done (in Uptown) by a long shot. I love the street level of the building with all the retail and resulting pedestrian activity it will create. The building has a nice energy with its sweeping eave elements cutting through the building. Relates well and enhances the vibe of Uptown. The other great thing about this project is it really increases the dense feeling of the core of Uptown. Can't wait to see this built!

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » June 4th, 2012, 9:53 am

I go to Cowboy Slim's about once a week for lunch (place actually has really good food) and a few weeks ago they made it sound like they don't have much time left to be open. No timetable or anything, but at least that means the project must be moving forward. This project, and hopefully something tall on the McDonald's lot would do a lot for this area.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » June 4th, 2012, 11:23 am

I thought I heard Slims might move into Mossaic, but I don't remember where I saw it... Micky D's can totally go, and fill in that lot next to Calhoun Square... Urbanize Rainbow... Planned Parenthood... Arby's... and we'll be sitting pretty good ;)

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » June 4th, 2012, 12:34 pm

They can reuse all the barnwood from slims for one of the other new barnwood restaurants around town. Seriously, La Grassa, Butcher and Boar, Icehouse, George & Dragon, Eat Street, etc. It's getting old.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » June 4th, 2012, 6:50 pm

They can reuse all the barnwood from slims for one of the other new barnwood restaurants around town. Seriously, La Grassa, Butcher and Boar, Icehouse, George & Dragon, Eat Street, etc. It's getting old.
Maybe they can use the barnwood to cover up The Mozaic? ;)

mplser
US Bank Plaza

Postby mplser » June 12th, 2012, 7:15 pm

Maybe they can use the barnwood to cover up The Mozaic? ;)
hell, i would be fine with having fog machines running 24-7 to hide that POS parking ramp

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » June 13th, 2012, 8:59 am

Mosaic could have been better, but it sure beat some of the other POS ramps with no character at all. Will see what happens when the Green wall get grown up and the plaza is finished and the second phase is complete.

I'm happy to see that area will finally get something substantial built on there. Will create a great energy flow from Calhoun Square to the Greenway Mozaic. Hope more things come to pass.

4-d
Metrodome

Postby 4-d » June 18th, 2012, 10:53 am

I agree with Wedge guy. It could have been worse and the parts that have not been completed yet can add a lot. The pedesterian walkway created from Flux, Mozaic, Lagoon theater, down to City Walk will be great, hopefully it doesn't just come to a dead end at that Calhoun square parking ramp and vacant space. I am also hoping that they start moving the Uptown art fair to this walk way rather than right on Hennepin, which is a major inconvenience.
^ 4-d

Nick
Capella Tower

Re: City Walk Uptown

Postby Nick » August 9th, 2012, 10:46 am

There's movement on this: First item of the August 13th Planning Commission meeting.

http://www.minneapolismn.gov/meetings/p ... S1P-096895
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » August 9th, 2012, 11:22 am

This is an important project that will literally connect the core of Uptown to the newer developments to the north and west. The best design of BKV so far in this area and works beautifully with the site. It's height will help soften the scale of Mozaic so it doesn't stand out so alone. A few more projects like this to the west of Uptown (on the parking lots) and we will create one of the most dynamic urban neighborhoods in the US.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » August 9th, 2012, 11:35 am

Agree!!!

1200onthemall
Nicollet Mall

Postby 1200onthemall » August 9th, 2012, 3:45 pm

Good luck renting the units that face Stella's roof deck, how many people would want to watch and listen to that crowd of idiots every night......but then those idiots need a place to live, how convenient City Walk would be for them. :D

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » August 9th, 2012, 4:09 pm

Maybe a few nights a week, 5 months a year... I don't really think that is such a big concern for someone moving into the heart of uptown at this point. They will probably doing things in their windows astonishing the guests at Stella's LOL!

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Re: City Walk Uptown - (1312 West Lake Street)

Postby go4guy » August 23rd, 2012, 5:22 pm

I was at Cowbly Slim's the other day for lunch, and they mentioned they are closing the last weekend in September. One would assume construction would start sometime this fall.

ECtransplant
US Bank Plaza

Postby ECtransplant » August 23rd, 2012, 5:30 pm

I was at Cowbly Slim's the other day for lunch, and they mentioned they are closing the last weekend in September. One would assume construction would start sometime this fall.
Wonderful news! The neighborhood groups should hold a celebration when that thing gets torn down!

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » August 24th, 2012, 5:26 am

Wonderful news! The neighborhood groups should hold a celebration when that thing gets torn down!
I have never understood why people hate this place so much. I suppose after 9, it brings out a different crowd, but nobody is forced to go there and nobody really has to deal with the crowd anyways. I go there strictly for lunch as they have great food and a great lunch deal. I dont like pretentious douche bags, so I dont go where they hang out. Plain and simple. There is a place for everyone.