Orange Line / 35W@94: Downtown to Crosstown Project

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
acs
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Orange Line (35W BRT) & Lake St Transit Access Project

Postby acs » December 4th, 2014, 2:56 pm

No real news, but here's the latest project update: http://metroorangeline.cmail1.com/t/Vie ... 32AAFB68BF

Hard to believe construction is still more than 2 years away (2017 season), and that's assuming no major delays. Environmental work will be completed throughout 2015.

Still, it's crazy to imagine that this and Southwest LRT could both be open by 2019, and the Chicago-Emerson/Fremont aBRT line could open in 2018, not to mention Nicollet Streetcar somewhere in that mix. And all of that could be done even without an increase in the transit sales tax. It'll need state bonding money, sure, and a strong partner in the federal government.
Creating the CTIB was probably the single most important piece of legislation for transit since the creation of the Met Council.

On a side note, has anyone heard anything at all about when the Nicollet Streetcar could be up and running? I can't find it anywhere online.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » December 4th, 2014, 3:15 pm

So, in ten years, this region will likely have built:
  • Central Corridor LRT
  • SW LRT
  • Orange Line BRT
  • Red Line BRT
  • Snelling aBRT
  • Penn aBRT
  • Chicago-Emerson/Fremont aBRT
  • Nicollet-Central Streetcar
  • Probably another aBRT at the end of 2019
That's pretty crazy.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » December 5th, 2014, 4:23 pm

Creating the CTIB was probably the single most important piece of legislation for transit since the creation of the Met Council.
CTIB has been problematic and will be more so as suburban counties realize they won't get LRT. The most important piece of legislation for transit was the dedicated sales tax, though it's overly restricted because we only have about a quarter of what we need.

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Postby talindsay » December 5th, 2014, 4:48 pm

In 2008 the sales tax had to be set up against the Governor's will, which carried with it a need to not put it in the hands of the governor-controlled Met Council. Setting it up as some kind of joint powers board only made sense - regional organization is much better than every county battling separately, and besides, I think the core counties prefer working together but would have a hard time doing it if the money were assigned separately.

The CTIB can certainly raise issues; but separating the money from the Met Council is a political necessity as long as any anti-transit governor can stack the Met Council accordingly, and simply handing the money back to the counties would be substantially more problematic. It may be halting regionalism but it still is regionalism.

TheUrbanGopher
Nicollet Mall

Postby TheUrbanGopher » December 5th, 2014, 7:07 pm

So, in ten years, this region will likely have built:
  • Central Corridor LRT
  • SW LRT
  • Orange Line BRT
  • Red Line BRT
  • Snelling aBRT
  • Penn aBRT
  • Chicago-Emerson/Fremont aBRT
  • Nicollet-Central Streetcar
  • Probably another aBRT at the end of 2019
That's pretty crazy.
You forgot to mention a certain billion dollar LRT project going to Brooklyn Park :)

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » December 5th, 2014, 7:26 pm

I didn't forget the Bottineau ;), but it won't be opening until into the 2020s, right? I was just plotting those that will be open around the time SWLRT is finished.

By Bottineau time, there could be several more aBRT corridors and possibly (if we're really lucky) another highway BRT or the Broadway streetcar.

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » December 5th, 2014, 9:53 pm

The current schedule puts SW at 2019 or 2020 and Bottineau at 2021. I believe Gateway is 2022.

pwm94
Block E

Postby pwm94 » January 27th, 2015, 10:57 am

Article regarding the Orange line and Southtown.

http://www.startribune.com/local/south/289642801.html

Looks like Kraus-Anderson is still being a stick in the mud.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » January 27th, 2015, 11:22 am

I must be missing something.
Current plans call for a major transit hub at Southtown, with the line running on Knox Avenue through the heart of the shopping center. Southtown’s owner would prefer to see the line skirt the eastern edge of the property, closer to Interstate 35W.

“We’re still at an impasse as to what’s going to happen with the Orange Line,” said Ken Vinje, director of properties and redevelopment for Kraus-Anderson Realty. “If the Orange Line is going to come through, we’re just saying, in essence, go around us. If we do that, then we feel there’s the ability to do the high density the city is looking for,” Vinje said. “And we’re willing to commit to that.”
Doesn't Knox Avenue already go around the shopping center?

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » January 27th, 2015, 11:41 am

KA owns property on both sides. They've expressed concern that building the tunnel with hamper plans that both sides will have convenient access to each other. A tunnel will hinder some amount of connection with a portion of its trench.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » January 27th, 2015, 11:45 am

Yes, Knox Ave goes all the way to the 494 frontage road. But I think it may actually be a private drive north of American Blvd, which is why they're in such a huff about it.

Yet I fail to understand why this is such an ordeal. Wouldn't the best approach be incremental adjustment towards mixed use focused on the SE corner of the site where the transit station would be? Which, except for the bowling alley, is the underutilized and excess-parking-laden backside of the whole complex?

I'm sure there can be an agreement where the different portions of the site change to different zoning over time, which would give the developer more of a reason to develop the Knox and American Blvd frontages while still giving them flexibility to upgrade car-oriented interior and northern stretch of the complex. It's not that difficult.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » January 27th, 2015, 11:47 am

KA owns property on both sides. They've expressed concern that building the tunnel with hamper plans that both sides will have convenient access to each other. A tunnel will hinder some amount of connection with a portion of its trench.
Then KA should step up to the plate and figure out a way to get buses from American Blvd to the tunnel in a way that fits with their vision of development on both sides of Knox. I'm sure Bloomington and the Met Council would rather spend money on improving the built environment of this block rather than fighting about it for years.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » February 11th, 2015, 6:03 pm

Small update that was presented Monday at to the Met Council. 60% design completed. Project on schedule. Engineering will being this year.

http://www.metrocouncil.org/Council-Mee ... -Line.aspx

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » February 12th, 2015, 7:32 am

On one hand, it's hard to believe that this project is still nearly 5 years from opening, but on the other hand its operation is completely dependent on two fairly massive freeway projects being funded and completed (35-Lake and 494/35), neither of which will begin construction before 2017.
CTIB requires 10% Local share to be identified by 9/1/15
• $15 million local, sources TBD
• $12 million additional state funding needed by mid-2016
How has Hennepin County not committed funding yet? They've already voted to secure 10x as much for SWLRT, but they haven't managed to commit to this project yet? I recall there being a quote from Mike Opat at some point (as he is hesitant to fund anything but Bottineau), but he was quickly called out by Peter McLaughlin that this project has been planned for decades and has been identified as a priority for CTIB since Day 1. I suspect this local funding share issue will get cleared up soon.

On the Hennepin County Board note, how is it that Randy Johnson (represents Richfield, Bloomington, EP) has never gotten a single quote in the paper for this project (or SW for that matter). Is he secretly dead? He hasn't voted to oppose funding for transit, so I know it isn't a case of him being a right-wing ideologue or anything (he's more of the centrist I-R type that no longer exist, from what I understand). He's also likely retiring in 2016 (been on the board since 1979), so if you know anyone good in Richfield, Bloomington, or EP...

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » February 12th, 2015, 9:54 am

Let me guess... we'll end up spending transit dollars (Orange Line) to rebuild the 494/35W interchange for motorists....

blobs
Nicollet Mall

Re: Uptown General Topics & Development Map

Postby blobs » March 28th, 2015, 6:00 pm

Is there a reason why the lake & 35W exit constantly is really congested?

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » March 29th, 2015, 10:52 pm

Stevens and Nicollet.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » March 30th, 2015, 8:32 am

Stevens and Nicollet.
And single leftmost lane on northbound 2nd Ave that serves as LTL from northbound 35W to 31st St and to Lake Street.

It would almost work better if they moved the ramps to between 31st and Lake rather than 32nd and 31st. The stoplights at 31st & Stevens/2nd seem to interfere with freeway traffic more than they help disperse it. Converting 28th St to two-way would help as well.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » March 30th, 2015, 8:39 am

[Probably not the right thread for this conversation.]

I've noticed that this offramp is now somewhat regularly backed all of the way out onto the freeway, even at non-rush hour times. Not sure if there was a signaling change, or if maybe a revitalizing Lake Street is driving more traffic, or...

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » March 30th, 2015, 8:57 am

When I commuted down I-35W years ago I also saw that backup. I think it's a fairly regular thing, and perhaps is enhanced as more and more college classes let up as well as snow birds flocking back to the area around this time of year. As a result, traffic congestion in the region seems to be the highest from April/May through November/December, and for whatever reason, Wednesdays and Thursdays during an average workweek.