Downtown Minneapolis Retail News

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Downtown Retail News

Postby lordmoke » December 10th, 2014, 5:42 pm

Still, double the size of a typical store is a pretty big deal. Glad this space won't be vacant!

Hopefully this means the current Walgreens location gets a new tenant and an overhaul. That building needs some help.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » December 10th, 2014, 6:33 pm

I'd like to see the second floor rearranged such that the skyway path doesn't pass through the store, if it does use the second floor. I think that's one of the biggest barriers to getting consistent evening hours for the skyway system, that you can't really convince Macy's and Saks to stay open late just to let people walk through. (Though they do in the morning, of course).

Wonder if there's any chance this Walgreens would be open 24hrs like the Corner W in Stadium Village? A 24-hour convenience store would be pretty helpful to the 70k by 2025 plans. Not sure if there'd be enough demand to support it yet, though.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Andrew_F
Rice Park

Postby Andrew_F » December 10th, 2014, 10:21 pm

If this ends up being 24hr (or at least open to 11 or 12, as opposed to 8 at the current Walgreens), it would be huge for downtown's livability. With the residential and hotel growth on this end of downtown, I could see it. A large convenience store with good hours within easy walking distance is a great amenity. I'm actually pretty excited about this, much more so than I would be over a specialty retailer.

TommyT
Target Field

Postby TommyT » December 11th, 2014, 8:44 am

Don't know where to post this, but Caribou Coffee in the Baker Center appears to be moving from their current location to the [former] Nic on 5th leasing space they had [in the Baker Center.] Much larger space for them but it looks same ole' same ole' as far as the store itself goes.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » December 11th, 2014, 9:36 am

Don't know where to post this, but Caribou Coffee in the Baker Center appears to be moving from their current location to the Nic on 5th leasing space they had.
They're moving into Nic on Fifth? Street level or skyway? Or typo...

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » December 11th, 2014, 9:37 am

He is saying they are moving to where the Nic on Fifth leasing office was in the Baker center.

TommyT
Target Field

Postby TommyT » December 11th, 2014, 9:41 am

He is saying they are moving to where the Nic on Fifth leasing office was in the Baker center.
^^ Correct. Thanks Mike.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » December 11th, 2014, 10:44 am

Oh! Thank you for the clarification

MinnMonkey
Landmark Center

Postby MinnMonkey » December 12th, 2014, 1:16 pm

Walgreens is going to lease the entire 37,000 square feet of space that Saks occupies, and use 23,000 for their store. Their flagship store in Chicago is 27,800.

So, the marquee store isn't that much smaller than a flagship store, and they have a ton of extra space to convert it to a flagship store in the future if they want to.

ECtransplant
US Bank Plaza

Postby ECtransplant » December 12th, 2014, 1:30 pm

So what is Walgreens going to do with that extra 14,000 sq ft?

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » December 12th, 2014, 1:47 pm

Three words:

Authentic German Discotheque.

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » December 12th, 2014, 1:50 pm

Three words:

Walgreen's is from Chicago though, so it will probably turn out to be Polish.

Nobody will even miss Nye's.

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » December 12th, 2014, 2:08 pm

Three words:

Walgreen's is from Chicago though, so it will probably turn out to be Polish.

Nobody will even miss Nye's.
Or move Nye's there.

#nyegreens

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » December 15th, 2014, 2:51 pm

Gaviidae Walgreens space went for $7.5M; parking sold separately

United Properties paid $7.5 million to buy the 50,000-square-foot portion of downtown Minneapolis' Gavidae Common where it intends to develop a new Walgreens store...

mullen
Foshay Tower

Re: Downtown Minneapolis Retail News

Postby mullen » January 6th, 2015, 2:36 pm

http://www.startribune.com/blogs/287661061.html
the reader comments below this story are precious.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » January 6th, 2015, 3:02 pm

RUMOR!

Rumors have circulated that Saks and another high-fashion retailer may be interested in opening outlet stores in City Center in the former Office Depot space on a corner at S. 7th St. and Nicollet Mall.

From the article.

UrsusUrbanicus
Nicollet Mall

Postby UrsusUrbanicus » January 6th, 2015, 3:55 pm

the reader comments below this story are precious.
But... but... #1 rule of Teh Interwebs! Never read the comments! ;)

Especially precious was the guy who insistently identified us as Murderapolis. How many homicides did we have last year -- something like 26? While that's obviously 26 more than would be ideal, it's about a fourth of what we had at our peak in the 90s. (And even that paled in comparison to the violence in many other American cities). Oh, and only a small portion of these are random. Again, I don't mean to discount the tragic nature of these deaths, nor to detract from the importance of crime as a social issue... only to illustrate the utter insanity of the mindset that "ZOMG if I ever set foot in Minneapolis I'll DIE!!1!1!eleventy-one!"

But what does one expect from suburbs? Everyone who lives in one's master-planned, expensive neighborhood probably lives a life just like one's own, and there's never even occasion to encounter anyone who doesn't... because one never *wanders*. Every excursion is in the car and pre-planned... even if it's just the 3-mile(!) trip to the convenience store for a Pepsi. That's what suburbs do, by design: They keep people isolated and afraid.

QuietBlue
Target Field

Postby QuietBlue » January 6th, 2015, 4:12 pm

Especially precious was the guy who insistently identified us as Murderapolis. How many homicides did we have last year -- something like 26? While that's obviously 26 more than would be ideal, it's about a fourth of what we had at our peak in the 90s. (And even that paled in comparison to the violence in many other American cities). Oh, and only a small portion of these are random. Again, I don't mean to discount the tragic nature of these deaths, nor to detract from the importance of crime as a social issue... only to illustrate the utter insanity of the mindset that "ZOMG if I ever set foot in Minneapolis I'll DIE!!1!1!eleventy-one!"

But what does one expect from suburbs? Everyone who lives in one's master-planned, expensive neighborhood probably lives a life just like one's own, and there's never even occasion to encounter anyone who doesn't... because one never *wanders*. Every excursion is in the car and pre-planned... even if it's just the 3-mile(!) trip to the convenience store for a Pepsi. That's what suburbs do, by design: They keep people isolated and afraid.
So you (justifiably) rip on people who make ignorant generalizations about Minneapolis, but then follow it up with a generalization about the suburbs? I'm not sure how your position is any better than the strib poster's.

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » January 6th, 2015, 4:13 pm

I hope that last part is sarcasm too judgy mc judgerson. Not sure I know too many people in the city that would say "it's only 3 miles, I'll just walk". lol

I have said this before, but I actually think city center could do well with a kind of "urban outlet mall" concept!

UrsusUrbanicus
Nicollet Mall

Postby UrsusUrbanicus » January 6th, 2015, 6:36 pm

Fair enough -- I probably should have clarified that my points about suburban design were aimed at the furthest of the far exurbs, the area where I grew up (and which I most quickly associate with the broader term "suburbia"). Look up Shakopee on Google Maps, and you'll see what I mean -- miles upon miles of uninterrupted, low-density residential land use, with neighborhoods disconnected from one another and/or designed in curlicue, backtracking, non-walkable patterns. This can't be good for the frequency or breadth of anyone's social interaction, especially for those who aren't vehicularly endowed (teens, some of the elderly, members of one-car families when the car is spoken for)...

And the 3-mile comment was not intended as an indictment of automobile use. Trust me, I wouldn't walk for a three-mile errand, either. My intended target was the design of these places -- the very fact that most homes are located so far from basic amenities that one would essentially have to drive.

What's more, neither of these critiques is an attack on any person. Suburbia contains wonderful folks and jerks just like any other place, and certainly also contains some people who share in many or most urbanist ideals. My point was that the design philosophy and demographic uniformity embodied by extreme exurbia may play a role in making panicky, reflexively anti-Other worldviews more likely -- not that everyone in the suburbs thinks this way.