The 155 - (155 University Avenue Southeast)

Northeast, Near North, Camden, Old St. Anthony, University and surrounding neighborhoods
Nick
Capella Tower

The 155 - (155 University Avenue Southeast)

Postby Nick » September 27th, 2012, 5:04 pm

Saw this in the agenda for the CPC CotW meeting next week. Six stories, presumably on the parking lot behind the union building.

http://www.minneapolismn.gov/meetings/p ... S1P-098943
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

Nathan
Capella Tower

Re: The 155 - (155 University Avenue Southeast)

Postby Nathan » September 28th, 2012, 11:01 am

Not a super visible building since Uni is a one way there, but adds some needed population to NE that will help support further development! Hopefully it will be nice.

frenat
City Center

Postby frenat » September 29th, 2012, 10:15 pm

I would love to see this happen. Busy area, good transit and very walkable. A mix use development would really add to the street life.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » October 2nd, 2012, 8:07 am

From F&C (edited):

The Minneapolis-based Labor Temple Association is floating plans for 81 market-rate apartments in a project called “The 155,” near the intersection of Central Avenue and University Avenue in southeast Minneapolis. “We had been talking about it for several years. Just plain parking wasn’t the best use for that property,” said Danny Gustafson, president of the association. The new plans call for redeveloping the eastern side of the site, currently home to surface parking and drive-through lanes for Union Bank & Trust, to accommodate a new apartment building and a separate parking ramp. The total project budget is estimated in the range of $20 million to $22 million, he said.

http://finance-commerce.com/2012/10/uni ... rking-lot/

ED: This is good news. Hopefully more organizations around the city will have the same sentiment that surface parking lots are not the best use of their property. There's good money tied up in that asphalt!
Last edited by twincitizen on October 2nd, 2012, 9:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » October 2nd, 2012, 8:23 am

The Minneapolis Community Planning and Economic Development department provided a copy of a rendering that has been submitted for The 155, a proposed 81-unit apartment project in Minneapolis. (Submitted rendering)

Was there a rendering submitted with this article? I still haven't seen this thing.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » October 2nd, 2012, 8:52 am

Interesting... I like the tall windows on the lower portions, but it just looks like they shoved the apartments on top, tiny rendering, definitely fills out the block, a bit more height would have been nice. NE could use some more skyline.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » October 2nd, 2012, 9:28 am

Bizarre proportions. Back to the drawing board please.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » October 2nd, 2012, 10:42 am

I like everything except breaking the (small) building up into two. The design is otherwise fine, a-okay, etc.

Seth
Metrodome

Postby Seth » October 2nd, 2012, 3:47 pm

They must have taken their inspiration from the Residence Inn downtown.
http://goo.gl/maps/gdaVL

frenat
City Center

Postby frenat » October 2nd, 2012, 6:01 pm

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » October 2nd, 2012, 8:38 pm

There's something goofy about the proportion of the base of the building as was mentioned earlier. If they remedy that, it should look pretty good. Nice that it will fill a vacant lot , but I wish they would build a few more home ownership projects in the area. Jeez, do you think we have enough rental buildings going up??

frenat
City Center

Postby frenat » October 2nd, 2012, 9:41 pm

There's something goofy about the proportion of the base of the building as was mentioned earlier. If they remedy that, it should look pretty good. Nice that it will fill a vacant lot , but I wish they would build a few more home ownership projects in the area. Jeez, do you think we have enough rental buildings going up??
Do you mean single family homes or condo/town homes? I think some of these could be converted when the market turns.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » October 2nd, 2012, 10:48 pm

Do you mean single family homes or condo/town homes? I think some of these could be converted when the market turns.
Yes, owner occupied condo/townhomes in this more dense neighborhood. And I think the condo market is warming up. But it just amazes me this apartment boom goes on and on in Minneapolis, along with the huge trend of young people wanting to live an urban lifestyle here. Makes me wonder if we are going to replace Portland Oregon as the hippest city in America! 8-)

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » October 3rd, 2012, 7:24 am

Yes, owner occupied condo/townhomes in this more dense neighborhood. And I think the condo market is warming up. But it just amazes me this apartment boom goes on and on in Minneapolis, along with the huge trend of young people wanting to live an urban lifestyle here. Makes me wonder if we are going to replace Portland Oregon as the hippest city in America! 8-)
Sad thing is we're still arguably behind some of those "hip" cities when it comes to our own urban revitalization. Namely, competitors such as Denver, Seattle, Portland and even Pittsburgh to some degree.

We're not the only city experiencing a renaissance right now.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » October 3rd, 2012, 11:25 am

If anything there is a shortage of new rental property in this area, not of condo/townhouses. There's really only one modern apartment building in the University-Central-Hennepin triangle area, and outside of old student housing there's not much else until you get to Stone Arch Apartments.

This is a very desirable neighborhood, in my opinion, but right now it's hard to get into without renting from a condo owner.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » October 3rd, 2012, 1:18 pm

If anything there is a shortage of new rental property in this area, not of condo/townhouses. There's really only one modern apartment building in the University-Central-Hennepin triangle area, and outside of old student housing there's not much else until you get to Stone Arch Apartments.

This is a very desirable neighborhood, in my opinion, but right now it's hard to get into without renting from a condo owner.
I love this area and I agree it's a very desirable neighborhood. It's come a long way in the last 30 years. There's an astounding 1000 rental units under construction or planned for this area so that should alleviate the shortage of good rental housing.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » October 3rd, 2012, 4:41 pm

Hopefully they come up with a better design.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » October 3rd, 2012, 8:06 pm

I'm guessing that the building looks the way it does because of the parking ramp mentioned in the summary of the building. On one level, it's actually kind of smart- they put a multi-story ramp on the bottom of the building in order to boost up the residential units and give them a nicer view. Granted, it's not great for street presence, but the area east of there isn't exactly a pedestrian destination.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » October 3rd, 2012, 11:52 pm

Hopefully they come up with a better design.
The base of the building looks ridiculous and awkward with the upper floors. It's height looks they placed the building in front of a mirror in a fun house to elongate it. :?