RBC Gateway & Four Seasons - 37 stories - 519'

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
uptowncarag

Re: Nicollet Hotel Block

Postby uptowncarag » January 23rd, 2015, 4:26 pm

I don't care what gets built now. Look at pictures of the Chicago skyline and dream. The other proposals are Block E part 2. Don't care.

5th Ave Guy
Landmark Center

Postby 5th Ave Guy » January 23rd, 2015, 4:26 pm

Isn't the whole reason this isn't getting built because it was a dream? He dreamed up a proposal that we all love, but he couldn't really build. More power to him for doing the initial design and getting people excited.

IllogicalJake
Target Field

Postby IllogicalJake » January 23rd, 2015, 5:07 pm

I don't care what gets built now. Look at pictures of the Chicago skyline and dream. The other proposals are Block E part 2. Don't care.
I love everyone's assumption that the city is blocking this just to ruin everyone's fun, despite the legitimate reasons being made public.
i talk too much. web dev, downtown. admin @ tower.ly

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » January 23rd, 2015, 5:09 pm

If only we could go back in time 150 years and make Minneapolis the junction point between the Eastern US and Western US.

martykoessel
Landmark Center

Postby martykoessel » January 23rd, 2015, 5:23 pm

If only we could go back in time 150 years and make Minneapolis the junction point between the Eastern US and Western US.
...by draining Lake Michigan.

J2K
Metrodome

Postby J2K » January 23rd, 2015, 5:26 pm

Most people are very disappointed because they got their hopes up that he could deliver the tallest building in Minneapolis. The IDS is still the tallest and it's over 40 years old which is ridiculous. People want progress, not the status quo.
Another 30 story high rise... Yippie!

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » January 23rd, 2015, 5:28 pm

Superior, Wisconsin is already all over that.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » January 23rd, 2015, 5:30 pm

Actually, the Capella tower is the tallest.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

AccordGuy
Metrodome

Postby AccordGuy » January 23rd, 2015, 6:28 pm

Yeah, but nobody's saying that the Duval wasn't the most ambitious proposal, or that we would prefer it not get built. But it takes more than just "wanting it" to finance a building, and Duval wasn't able to do that, or at the very least wasn't able to prove he could do that.

End of story. Full stop. That's it. This is a discussion about how Duval couldn't bring the money to the table, nothing else. Trying to make it about the height or the design is irrelevant, because that's not what it's about.
Agreed. I wish he could have proved it could be done. It would be terribly disappointing if they would have rejected it due to the height factor alone, so I guess we are stuck with our table mesa shaped skyline for the time being.
If only the Wells Fargo tower could be bumped up about 100-200 feet. Imagine.
Born in Minneapolis.

AccordGuy
Metrodome

Postby AccordGuy » January 23rd, 2015, 6:32 pm

Most people are very disappointed because they got their hopes up that he could deliver the tallest building in Minneapolis. The IDS is still the tallest and it's over 40 years old which is ridiculous. People want progress, not the status quo.
Another 30 story high rise... Yippie!
I think Duval would be great on that empty half block between 9th and 10th on Marquette. Thoughts ?
Born in Minneapolis.

AccordGuy
Metrodome

Postby AccordGuy » January 23rd, 2015, 6:33 pm

Actually, the Capella tower is the tallest.
Thank you !!!!!!!!!!
Born in Minneapolis.

aeisenberg
Landmark Center

Postby aeisenberg » January 23rd, 2015, 6:51 pm

Can someone explain the appeal of the UP proposal? It looks like it's perpetually about the fall. It's bulky. The base looks nothing like the tower. The tower also reminds me of Riverside Plaza. I don't get it.
Aaron Eisenberg / Realtor, Keller Williams Integrity
612.568.5828 / [email protected] / 1350 Lagoon Ave #900
http://www.agentaaron.com

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » January 23rd, 2015, 7:57 pm

A little failure never hurt someone like Mr. Duval before. I'm sure his projects have been rejected before. That's not a tell tale of success. Developers deal with this all the time. Let's stop boohooing, and see what we can get. All of the proposals are conceptual remember.

uptowncarag

Postby uptowncarag » January 23rd, 2015, 9:27 pm

There will be nothing iconic about this block. It would be better to leave as is. It is going to be a failure. If you could tempt Lord and Taylor to build a store downtown then it might be something.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » January 23rd, 2015, 9:42 pm

Yes, Lord & Taylor will save us.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » January 23rd, 2015, 9:51 pm

I think Duval would be great on that empty half block between 9th and 10th on Marquette. Thoughts ?
The tower would be. I'd actually prefer it there, to maintain the skylines' pyramid shape. I don't know that the project would work without a whole-block podium for offices and parking though. I'd like to think so, but idk.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

AccordGuy
Metrodome

Postby AccordGuy » January 23rd, 2015, 10:11 pm

The tower would be. I'd actually prefer it there, to maintain the skylines' pyramid shape. I don't know that the project would work without a whole-block podium for offices and parking though. I'd like to think so, but idk.
Putting the tower here would give us the pyramid type skyline which would be very picturesque. Something has to break the Capella Tower's grip on tallest since 1992. :)
Born in Minneapolis.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » January 23rd, 2015, 10:17 pm

Placing it there could fill a gap in the skyway. It would take substantial reworking to the atrium, but even if it meant losing the TV studio because it's no longer on the Mall and is too close to the WCCO, being in the center of a new major east/west skyway route would attract businesses there.

sushisimo
Landmark Center

Postby sushisimo » January 24th, 2015, 12:03 am

At this point, I prefer Mortenson, minus the trendy mast/pole on the one corner. I suppose you could saw that off after a couple of years.

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » January 24th, 2015, 2:21 am

^I don't mind Mortenson's proposal from some angles, but from others, it just looks like a fat, squat stump.