Montage (Nye's redevelopment) - 116 E Hennepin Avenue

Northeast, Near North, Camden, Old St. Anthony, University and surrounding neighborhoods
twincitizen

Re: Nye's Polonaise Room - 100 block of E Hennepin Avenue

Postby twincitizen » February 10th, 2015, 4:00 pm

Am I bad at Twitter or something?
https://twitter.com/UrbanMSP/status/565250138428669953

Far as I can tell, I was the 2nd person/org to tweet that link, 8 minutes after MinnPost's Peter Callaghan. I guess I was expecting a bigger response from our followers. Nothing.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » February 10th, 2015, 4:01 pm

I see it as a way for the church to get some structural renovations that they need done for as little cost to them as possible. It puts the developer on the hook for any repair work that will have to be corrected if there is any damages to the soundness of the structure.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » February 10th, 2015, 4:04 pm

Far as I can tell, I was the 2nd person/org to tweet that link, 8 minutes after MinnPost's Peter Callaghan. I guess I was expecting a bigger response from our followers. Nothing.
Do people normally interact with the Twitter account? I feel like I'd rather interact with the forum here on the forum rather than through Twitter. There's probably a deeper converstation in there somewhere about what is the purpose of the @UrbanMSP Twitter account?

Silophant

Postby Silophant » February 10th, 2015, 4:04 pm

Re: Vibrations: I'm sympathetic to the church's concerns, but given that new buildings are still built in Europe, I'm reasonably certain that modern construction techniques are available that allow new buildings to be built without destroying old buildings nearby.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » February 10th, 2015, 4:05 pm

I'm guessing people generally don't like clicking on PDFs on their smartphone. (Who checks twitter on a desktop?) Probably best to screenshot the renderings and share it that way in the future.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » February 10th, 2015, 4:09 pm

And also include a link to the discussion thread, the Twitter account should probably serve to drive traffic and discussion to the forum, rather than have separate parallel discussion tracks on Twitter.

MN Fats
Union Depot

Postby MN Fats » February 10th, 2015, 4:13 pm

(Who checks twitter on a desktop?)
Me. :oops:

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » February 10th, 2015, 4:13 pm

What's Twitter? :lol:

Brenns
City Center

Postby Brenns » February 10th, 2015, 4:17 pm

Don't know what I was expecting, but the treatment of the street level seems very insensitive to the surrounding buildings. They've cleverly done the old trick of slapping some green on the Sketchup model on the Lady of Lourdes side, but that wall is going to be an enormous eyesore regardless, and it looks like all of the parking garage ventilation and a bunch of mechanical will be along that wall humming away as well.
The repetition and lack of articulation on the trio of smaller brick Hennepin facades almost seems to exaggerate how out of scale this building is for the site. I certainly want something big for this project, and I get that someone's gotta make money in the end, but yikes. I was hoping for more than a cursory nod to the tiny scale of the surrounding historic structures.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » February 10th, 2015, 4:17 pm

I like how the shape reflects the current towers but in a more modern form and contrasting color. It's more traditional design would help segue the new north east skyline into the more modern tower going up on central. I am really sick of parking podiums. But I do think this one is better disguised than most.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » February 10th, 2015, 4:19 pm

Don't know what I was expecting, but the treatment of the street level seems very insensitive to the surrounding buildings. They've cleverly done the old trick of slapping some green on the Sketchup model on the Lady of Lourdes side, but that wall is going to be an enormous eyesore regardless, and it looks like all of the parking garage ventilation and a bunch of mechanical will be along that wall humming away as well.
The repetition and lack of articulation on the trio of smaller brick Hennepin facades almost seems to exaggerate how out of scale this building is for the site. I certainly want something big for this project, and I get that someone's gotta make money in the end, but yikes. I was hoping for more than a cursory nod to the tiny scale of the surrounding historic structures.
I agree with you but compared to the ramp podium just across the street this has far better respect for the neighborhood and street scale.

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » February 10th, 2015, 4:19 pm

Unless people have notifications set for specific accounts, it's likely it just got swept through people's timelines. I saw someone else tweet it and jumped from there over to the boards (I'm on my computer).

Brenns
City Center

Postby Brenns » February 10th, 2015, 4:21 pm

I agree with you but compared to the ramp podium just across the street this has far better respect for the neighborhood and street scale.
Don't disagree with you on that one. When I saw an old photo of the buildings that used to be across the street, I just about cried.

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » February 10th, 2015, 4:21 pm

And also include a link to the discussion thread, the Twitter account should probably serve to drive traffic and discussion to the forum, rather than have separate parallel discussion tracks on Twitter.
Eh, too much work. Nick, Matt, and I generally like to use it to just post quick little one-off urbanist-y thoughts and observations. (Also nice for shamelessly retweeting our own tweets to an audience of 1,435 followers. :ugeek:)

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » February 10th, 2015, 4:26 pm

Great example of how Big City Buildings can work in harmony with Old Cathedrals...

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Montr ... 38211fefef
Note - that's a 479' office tower that abuts the house behind the church.
(They also built a complete shopping mall underneath this entire block, along with most all of downtown Montreal).

I have faith that the builder can make this work with the church next door.
Last edited by HiawathaGuy on February 10th, 2015, 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » February 10th, 2015, 4:29 pm

I see @StribRoper beat me to the punch as well, and posted images first, then later links to the Strib story.

You're right, I should've linked to the thread here on the forum too.

Oddly enough, I do occasionally use Twitter on a desktop, but in this specific instance I was bored in a meeting (a meeting about the internet), so I randomly checked the City of Mpls' website (on my phone) for any new meetings/docs and blam, there it was. Had I Tweeted first & browsed the plans second, I'd have been first to break it, beating actual media.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » February 10th, 2015, 5:35 pm

Saw a full rendering. Woweee. Pretty great. Its going to be so ped friendly. Also they may only have 1 floor under instead of 2 due to bedrock levels and church complaints. It would hardly affect the height of the parking structure though.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » February 10th, 2015, 5:51 pm

Seems like they'd have to increase the parking structure height by one level to make up for one less underground level, wouldn't they?
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

bapster2006
Foshay Tower

Postby bapster2006 » February 10th, 2015, 6:08 pm

I like the design a lot. The tower is clean and modern. And I think the podium side on Hennepin looks fantastic and blends in well. There's only so much you can do on the backside but I think it's okay for what it is, a parking ramp.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » February 10th, 2015, 6:44 pm

That give the church a space to erect and nice tall piece of art that will help hid the wall. Have a nice contemplation garden behind the rectory!