RBC Gateway & Four Seasons - 37 stories - 519'

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
NE_love
City Center

Re: Nicollet Hotel Block

Postby NE_love » February 9th, 2015, 11:04 am

Unfortunately(???) I am on vacation and will be unable to make it; one of the line items to be discussed is, "Learn details on the full building vertical lighting system, which will be a state of the art, first of it's kind installation in Minneapolis, as well as being programmable for events and Holidays."

Public Forum: First Look at the Nicollet Hotel Block Project Design
Mill City Times
Monday, February 16, 2015 from 7:00 PM to 8:00 PM (CST)
Minneapolis, MN

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » February 9th, 2015, 10:53 pm

Weird that it's on Presidents' Day...isn't that a city holiday? How are they getting CPED staff to work?

Anyways, if you want to go, you should definitely RSVP here: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/public-for ... 5669758670

I wouldn't be surprised if the event gets fully booked.

AccordGuy
Metrodome

Postby AccordGuy » February 10th, 2015, 9:05 am

Weird that it's on Presidents' Day...isn't that a city holiday? How are they getting CPED staff to work?

Anyways, if you want to go, you should definitely RSVP here: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/public-for ... 5669758670

I wouldn't be surprised if the event gets fully booked.
I wish I could go.
As disappointed as I was about losing the possibility of topping the Cappella Tower as tallest, this project was my second favorite of the four . The potential is there for this to be a really nice addition to our skyline. Hopefully Frey was serious about wanting Duval to build it somewhere else downtown. 9th and Marquette would be great.
In hindsight, the city should have asked for a 60-70 story minimum.
Born in Minneapolis.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » February 10th, 2015, 9:16 am

That would have been nice, but I think it would have just to nothing being built on the block. Our local developers are frustrating conservative almost all of the time, but, to me, three experienced developers all submitting 30-40 story proposals indicates that the market probably isn't there yet for something almost twice as tall.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Brenns
City Center

Postby Brenns » February 10th, 2015, 9:56 am

The Duval project always seemed fishy to me. Yes, a gigantic tower at the end of Nicollet would be exciting, iconic, inspirational, etc, and the renderings presented the formal and material qualities of the building in a thoughtful way.
But when it comes down to it, the sheer ambition of the project was probably a stunt to win selection, and the project would (surprise!) be scaled down dramatically upon further development. From what I hear, it also sounds like Duval didn't inspire a lot of confidence in their ability to finance and carry out the project.

I don't dislike the proposal that was selected - it looks like they are placing appropriate importance on the street level, at least compared to the other proposals. It does look um...unambitious in terms of design. I don't think anyone is expecting to be blown out of the water, but a step above "meh" would be appreciated. If it doesn't involve faux wood Trespa, I guess we can consider that a small victory.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » February 10th, 2015, 7:55 pm

The Duval project always seemed fishy to me. Yes, a gigantic tower at the end of Nicollet would be exciting, iconic, inspirational, etc, and the renderings presented the formal and material qualities of the building in a thoughtful way.
But when it comes down to it, the sheer ambition of the project was probably a stunt to win selection, and the project would (surprise!) be scaled down dramatically upon further development. From what I hear, it also sounds like Duval didn't inspire a lot of confidence in their ability to finance and carry out the project.

I don't dislike the proposal that was selected - it looks like they are placing appropriate importance on the street level, at least compared to the other proposals. It does look um...unambitious in terms of design. I don't think anyone is expecting to be blown out of the water, but a step above "meh" would be appreciated. If it doesn't involve faux wood Trespa, I guess we can consider that a small victory.
Totally agree. They missed the boat for "iconic", but let's hold out hope that this alleged cutting-edge lighting scheme can put a relatively mundane (relative to iconic buildings across the world) design over the "iconic" hurdle. Again, I'm not saying the design sucks, it's just not very iconic in any discernible way (yet). At least, not to me it isn't.

I hate to be [that guy] but this thing could potentially look more graceful and iconic if it were skinnier in proportion -- like if it were 10-15 floors taller. A 50-story illuminating glass building could be very iconic.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » February 10th, 2015, 8:13 pm

I hate to be [that guy] but this thing could potentially look more graceful and iconic if it were skinnier in proportion -- like if it were 10-15 floors taller. A 50-story illuminating glass building could be very iconic.
Good thing they're contemplating adding 8-12 floors, then.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » February 10th, 2015, 8:22 pm

Good thing they're contemplating adding 8-12 floors, then.
Hoping those 8-12 floors are condos.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » February 10th, 2015, 9:28 pm

Hoping those 8-12 floors are condos.
Sounds like a good bet, perhaps about 40-60 units or 5 per floor. Could probably be absorbed in the current (improving) condo market without too much problem. Would not be priced as affordable housing ;)

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » February 11th, 2015, 7:47 am

So no "movin' on up...to the [north]side"?

Silophant

Postby Silophant » February 16th, 2015, 4:15 pm

As a reminder, the meeting is tonight, though it may be too late to RSVP if you haven't already. See some of you there.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » February 16th, 2015, 4:31 pm

Just wondering who is going so we can look out

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » February 16th, 2015, 4:39 pm

Damn! I forgot! So much homework to do. :(

bapster2006
Foshay Tower

Postby bapster2006 » February 16th, 2015, 5:05 pm

I will be there. I'll have a black hooded shirt on. 6' 3".

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » February 16th, 2015, 5:07 pm

I'm sure you could just hang around Nathan. There's a neighborhood association meeting starting at 5:30 and the Nicollet Hotel block presentation directly follows that in the same room.

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » February 16th, 2015, 5:26 pm

I'm still at work, but I'll skip the neighborhood meeting and try and show up for the 7:00 presentation. Blue dress shirt and Khakis.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » February 16th, 2015, 5:36 pm

I ran home to drop something off, but I'll be there by 7. Will update this post with clothing details after I decide whether to change or not.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » February 16th, 2015, 5:42 pm

Canadian tuxedo here.

Avian
Union Depot

Postby Avian » February 16th, 2015, 5:47 pm

I'll be there! Black leather jacket & cream hooded sweatshirt.
Last edited by Avian on February 16th, 2015, 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

“Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something.”
― Plato

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » February 16th, 2015, 5:48 pm

Grey with green Columbia sweatshirt, khaki chinos and boots with yellow laces. Is that distinct enough?