Copenhagen

Anondson
IDS Center

Copenhagen

Postby Anondson » December 9th, 2014, 10:27 am

Copenhagen gets favorable treatment in urban-centric circles for its cycling culture.

Found this article on Copenhagen going the Dutch route of summoning land from the sea to create islands to build new housing on.

http://www.citylab.com/design/2014/12/h ... ds/383535/

Since some of the land is state-owned there is some outcry that housing for lower-classes be included.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Re: Copenhagen

Postby mattaudio » December 9th, 2014, 10:44 am

I dunno, personally I'm a big believer in Bloomingtonize. It's a new campaign that looks to take places forward, backward. Maybe sdho can enlighten us. Way cooler than Copenhagenize.

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Postby talindsay » December 9th, 2014, 4:37 pm

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Postby Minneboy » January 1st, 2015, 8:57 pm

All 3 of my trips to Copenhagen were filled with new things to do. Recommend highly. Winter or summer.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » March 5th, 2015, 10:57 am

To grow its metro to 4–5 million, should a "Greater Copenhagen" include southern Sweden?

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/m ... are_btn_tw

mulad

Postby mulad » March 5th, 2015, 11:48 am

That's interesting to see. I had gone through Copenhagen back in the mid-1990s on a family trip. Back then, we had to take a ferry to cross the strait between the two countries. The Øresund Bridge opened in 2000, making a road+rail connection that clearly sped up the crossing significantly.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » March 5th, 2015, 12:17 pm

I smiled that Swedes are sensitive to Danish land grabbing. There's a multi-century history about that, and they got memories.

COLSLAW5
Nicollet Mall

Postby COLSLAW5 » May 2nd, 2024, 8:58 am

I was just in copenhagen this past week and their metro is magical. It is a fully automated system with frequency of like every 6 minutes, and the best part is its 24/7 due to it being automated. The stations were remarkably clean and you even got full cell signal anywhere underground. Also fun that you can see out the front windshield since there is no driver and they light their tunnels so you can watch the tunnel turn and go up and down. It is wild to think one of their most recent lines the M3 only cost 3.5 billion dollars for 9.6 miles of tunneling.

They are even working on automating their fully electric intercity rail trains, the S, as well over the next decades.

It was wild to me because it felt like the most american style city I have visited in Europe, they still really like their cars but every major street has a wide grade separated bike lane on either side. They still had their parking garages but the cool ones I saw were on underground with a entire landscaped park and restaurant on top or another above ground one with a playground for kids on the roof.

I know this didn't happen overnight for them but it cool to see a place that clearly still uses cars but creates spaces that all modes of travel are actually a reasonable choice.