Soccer Stadium in Minneapolis (cancelled)

Historical Topics - Archives
Tyler
Foshay Tower

Re: Major League Soccer in Minneapolis

Postby Tyler » March 17th, 2015, 3:35 pm

Why is everyone assuming the state is the only possible public partner? Nobody associated with MN united or The Major League Soccer has talked about asking the state for anything.
Towns!

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » March 17th, 2015, 3:37 pm

I've never heard that "United" refers to an all-encompassing club, per talindsay's post. My understanding was that United refers to a club that brings together various factions. And in that regard, Minnesota United is actually a very fitting name, because it effective united the legacies of the Minnesota Thunder and Minnesota Stars into the new Minnesota United. I believe the stated reason for the name was because of the two major cities angle, though.

Either way, pretty much all major soccer clubs have academies these days, including most MLS teams, so the United name would fit by that definition too.

I've heard (somewhere) that MLS would prohibit the name Minnesota United because D.C. United already has that "nickname," but that seems kind of stupid to me. The NASL team has done a really good job with branding and uniforms etc., including developing the unofficial nickname in the Loons, so it'd be a shame if they had to start over.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » March 17th, 2015, 3:40 pm

Also, in regards to talindsay's note about a partnership with Minneapolis United, the Minnesota Thunder did something like that a while back and it got pretty political and messy. Other clubs blamed the Thunder for stealing their best players and boycotted Thunder games. There's more to it that I don't know off my head. Not saying it could never work, just that it's not as straightforward as it sounds.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » March 17th, 2015, 3:41 pm

Why is everyone assuming the state is the only possible public partner? Nobody associated with MN united or The Major League Soccer has talked about asking the state for anything.
I've wondered this too. The state never seemed like a likely partner from the beginning.

VAStationDude
US Bank Plaza

Postby VAStationDude » March 17th, 2015, 3:44 pm

The way taxes work in this state requires legislative action unless the "partners" share comes from property taxes or, perhaps, some type of gas tax money doled to local governments.

Unless Bakk and McGuire met to share beauty tips, it's safe to assume big Mac's and The MLS's hands were out.

MN Fats
Union Depot

Postby MN Fats » March 17th, 2015, 3:50 pm

Is keeping the franchise name not an option?
I've assumed this was an entirely academic discussion and that in fact it will continue to be known as "Minnesota United" - certainly nothing in the press has indicated a name change is likely, and following the broader model of teams moving up a division, the name wouldn't change.
There's already the DC United in MLS, FWIW. Don't know if that's enough to prompt a change.

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » March 17th, 2015, 3:57 pm

Huh? The meeting happened after Bakk prematurely spouted off to Don Garber. I don't know what was said but assuming McGuire's "hands were out" is a bizarre conclusion given the circumstances. And please top typing "The MLS."
Towns!

VAStationDude
US Bank Plaza

Postby VAStationDude » March 17th, 2015, 4:10 pm

Is McGuire really that sensitive he would have to meet with Bakk over Bakk's obvious and correct conclusion that we have addressed soccer with the Vikings stadium if he wasn't looking for state money? How is it bizarre to conclude a meeting between a key legislator and pro sports owner was about $$$. We've all seen how these stadium battles after fought. The future The MLS franchise isn't any different.

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » March 17th, 2015, 4:19 pm

Well, as you've stated above if other public funds are involved The Bakk could still play a role. The Bakk has stated he wouldn't want The Target Feild monies to go to a new stadium but his statements have been pretty vague. Is he saying NO public money, period? No state money period? That he will do everything in his power to torpedo any new stadium plan? Maybe The McGuire was looking for clarification. Maybe he has been discussing with the city or county and wanted to see how big of of a thorn in his side The Bakk was going to be.
Towns!

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » March 17th, 2015, 4:38 pm

I know you're joking here, but The Bakk would like to be referred to as such in all future communications. Thanks for your cooperation in this matter.

VAStationDude
US Bank Plaza

Postby VAStationDude » March 17th, 2015, 5:47 pm

Even if you view allowing excess MLB ballpark tax dollars to be diverted to The MLS as a 'local' 'partnership' the state would have to allow it through legislation. You very clearly understand this. Looking at Senate Majority Leader Bakk's and Governor Dayton's statements again at home not when quickly checking during a down couple minutes at the office, it's pretty clear neither of them are open to any The MLS stadium legislation, not just 'state money', regardless of any unlikely 'partnership' with Hennepin County. Senate Majority Leader Bakk said 'they shouldn't even come by' and Governor Dayton was quoted as saying '[The MLS] is going to have to pay for it themselves.'

As for the possibility of a 'partnership,' County Commissioner Higgins is, to my knowledge, the only Hennepin County Commissioner to comment publicly on The MLS. She is very firmly against a 'partnership.' We all know Hennepin County Commissioner Jeff Johnson will not vote in favor of a The MLS stadium. That leaves five commissioners four of whom would have to support McGuire's The MLS plan. Sorry, I see a Miami scenario brewing here without the formal franchise announcement.

*Edit - Added Hennepin County Commissioner Jeff Johnson's title. Don't respect his opinions but I respect his position and title.

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » March 17th, 2015, 6:30 pm

Now you're just talking in circles. You very clearly dislike MLS and the idea of another stadium being built. No problem with that point of view but you're pretty much trolling the thread at this point.
Towns!

cooperrez
Landmark Center

Postby cooperrez » March 17th, 2015, 9:58 pm

^ -1

cooperrez
Landmark Center

Postby cooperrez » March 17th, 2015, 10:26 pm

I like the idea of adding City to name, North City? Well, maybe not that, but something toward that end.

Regarding the idea of a club or united team, I wonder if an actual club concept could help with financing. I know professional clubs in Brazil have membership dues and in turn get special deals on tickets. Maybe something akin to the Green Bay Packers "ownership" might be a possibility?

Chava
Nicollet Mall

Postby Chava » March 18th, 2015, 12:52 pm

I'm partial to Minneapolis. But I know that's a long shot among people. How about Minnesota Ice? MNice.

HuskyGrad
Union Depot

Re: Farmers Market Soccer Stadium

Postby HuskyGrad » March 23rd, 2015, 9:01 am

HuskyGrad
Union Depot

Postby HuskyGrad » March 23rd, 2015, 9:01 am

Realstreets
Nicollet Mall

Postby Realstreets » March 23rd, 2015, 10:26 am

So where exactly would a stadium near the farmers market go? The Sporting KC stadium footprint is about 500 x 500 ft. So even if they used the entire farmers market site some of the industrial uses would need to go to. Furthermore, would the farmers market be moved somewhere else? One of the many downtown parking lots? :)

I would also assume that those attending games would be encouraged to park in the Target Field superstructure. If that's the case west of Royalston/N. 12th would need some pedestrian improvements.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » March 23rd, 2015, 10:43 am

Should we merge the two threads now? (this one and "Farmers Market Soccer Stadium")

Now that announcements are being made and no other locations are even under consideration, it seems a bit silly to keep two threads.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » March 23rd, 2015, 10:44 am

Yes please!