DTE: Wells Fargo, Radisson Red, Edition Apts & Millwright Building

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
bapster2006
Foshay Tower

Re: Downtown East Project (Ryan Companies / Wells Fargo)

Postby bapster2006 » March 7th, 2015, 2:53 pm

The way the office towers are positioned on the blocks, the lots on the park are actually very small though. The lots to the north of both of those towers are actually many times larger even though it might not be obvious. I agree that facing the park seems like a much better configuration but they just weren't planned out that way.

J2K
Metrodome

Postby J2K » March 7th, 2015, 4:16 pm

I believe there will be apartments on the south side of both towers. The hotel will be on the north side of one of them. Those blank concrete walls we see on each side will be covered by the apartments/hotel.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » March 7th, 2015, 4:28 pm

I vaguely remember seeing a layout for the apartment buildings facing the park that showed a corridor right up against the office tower wall, and apartments only on the south side of the corridor. Very small lots, and I'm assuming that the Radisson Red business model wouldn't work with the 60ish rooms they'd probably be able to fit on one of them.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Postby talindsay » March 7th, 2015, 4:47 pm

Unless there's space to put a central courtyard (and that seems doubtful) the hotel will be a single row with a hallway hugging the office construction as well - while it may be less problematic than an apartment, a hotel room without windows would be very unprofitable (if even allowed by code, which also seems doubtful). Of course, a hotel has a lot of back-of-house operations that could use space between the hallway and the office portion, and so a well-designed hotel could make much better use of this configuration than an apartment building could.

nBode
Union Depot

Postby nBode » March 8th, 2015, 4:13 pm

You can see here that the Wells Fargo towers only take up a little over half the block. There is plenty of space on the backsides.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » March 9th, 2015, 8:02 am

Unless there's space to put a central courtyard (and that seems doubtful) the hotel will be a single row with a hallway hugging the office construction as well - while it may be less problematic than an apartment, a hotel room without windows would be very unprofitable (if even allowed by code, which also seems doubtful). Of course, a hotel has a lot of back-of-house operations that could use space between the hallway and the office portion, and so a well-designed hotel could make much better use of this configuration than an apartment building could.
I stayed in the Suites Hotel in Duluth a few weeks ago for a conference and my room was on the inside of the building with no windows. Had doors on each side to separate hallways that served rooms with windows. Obviously this was a retrofit of a cool old building with a massive footprint, and codes may have changed since then (plus I'm not sure on if that hotel got credits/grants/etc for re-use making cash flow possible). But I didn't mind the lack of windows for an $80/night price in a great location. I usually pull the curtains shut anyway :)

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » March 9th, 2015, 8:07 am

The Suites is nice, too bad they're booked about a million years into the future during nicer weather.

Sent from my phone

bapster2006
Foshay Tower

Postby bapster2006 » March 11th, 2015, 3:07 pm

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » March 11th, 2015, 4:20 pm

So, it looks like one more occupied floor to go above the tallest beams on the "tower" part...plus about 2 mechanical/decorative.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » March 27th, 2015, 12:27 pm

The windows are going in on the first floor of the west building.. and.. uh... see for yourself

ImageWP_20150326_003 by grant.simons, on Flickr

It's like a yellowish teal

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » March 27th, 2015, 12:50 pm

It's hard to tell from your pictures, but I suspect that's not the final finished material you're seeing.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » March 27th, 2015, 1:01 pm

Is it like wells Fargo gold/brass like all around their downtown building?

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » March 27th, 2015, 1:13 pm

ImageDSC_0967 by grant.simons, on Flickr
ImageDSC_0968 by grant.simons, on Flickr

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » March 28th, 2015, 6:43 am

mrs.shoes and I drove past here last weekend and she said—and I'm not kidding—"Is that going to be a parking ramp? It looks like a parking ramp." Good one, WF!
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » April 4th, 2015, 1:41 am

Went over the Third Avenue Bridge tonight late, after most of the downtown lights were off. Going down Central toward the bridge, the Wells Fargo buildings are the only thing you see (partly because they're lit up inside right now); they're really going to change the vista from that area.

aeisenberg
Landmark Center

Postby aeisenberg » April 8th, 2015, 7:16 pm

Aaron Eisenberg / Realtor, Keller Williams Integrity
612.568.5828 / [email protected] / 1350 Lagoon Ave #900
http://www.agentaaron.com

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » April 8th, 2015, 10:33 pm

Is this at 15 floors? It KINDA looks like it's topping out, but that can't be true if it's only at floor 15.

In hindsight, 1.4 million SF being distributed this way downtown makes me want to cry a little, but the impact it's potentially having in greater DTE may more than make up for that.

Lancestar2

Postby Lancestar2 » April 8th, 2015, 10:54 pm

Is this at 15 floors? It KINDA looks like it's topping out, but that can't be true if it's only at floor 15.

In hindsight, 1.4 million SF being distributed this way downtown makes me want to cry a little, but the impact it's potentially having in greater DTE may more than make up for that.

Developing downtown East over spaces in downtown West makes you want to cry? Really? Cause I kinda thought that creating an entire urban downtown of mixed use would be pretty neat. What do you have envisioned for downtown east if not 1.4 million SF ? Kinda a moot point but none the less I'm curious what others envision.

Andrew_F
Rice Park

Postby Andrew_F » April 12th, 2015, 7:03 pm

There's a piece of painted steel with a flag and christmas tree on it sitting in the lot behind the west tower. Must be topping out this week.

nfschauer
Nicollet Mall

Postby nfschauer » April 14th, 2015, 9:45 am

Will they begin construction on the shorter portions of the buildings that are located on the front and back of the towers after they are complete? I thought they were a part of the overall project, so I thought they would have begun constructing those portions along with the towers...