The Commons - Downtown East Park

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Re: The Commons - Downtown East Park

Postby Wedgeguy » April 3rd, 2015, 2:02 pm

Going down Chicago today I notices that they are working on their first level of above ground parking on the ramp block. Something I had not notice until now was the grade change between 3rd and 4th was great than I had thought. There looked to be space that could be used as retail long 3rd street. Maybe not a deep space, but there looked to be height enough to allow for store fronts if they wanted to put them in, (which I doubt they will do).

BoredAgain
Union Depot

Postby BoredAgain » April 3rd, 2015, 2:05 pm

Judging by the summary at the top of the article, it looks like this was posted prematurely and then pulled. I wonder why.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » April 3rd, 2015, 2:32 pm

But perhaps more importantly, unlike the Commons, the lot isn’t separated from the stadium by a light rail line.

“Every 90 seconds there’s going to be a train coming from one direction or another,” Bagley said. “So the fact that this space is east of the LRT and it is more directly and physically connected to the [stadium] plaza, it will be more directly engaged as part of the gameday experience.”
Does this confirm that this section of 5th Street (between Chicago and Park) is definitely going away, as we've long hoped for?

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » April 3rd, 2015, 2:52 pm

From the looks of construction in that area today I would say a big year. It is tore out and hauled away

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » April 3rd, 2015, 3:22 pm

Use your imagination and visualize the future:

mulad

Postby mulad » April 3rd, 2015, 3:23 pm

I thought this was Photoshop at first -- I never noticed that little park across from the Strib building until now.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » April 3rd, 2015, 3:28 pm

Will any of those trees be saved? Would stink to have them all ripped out only to have new saplings planted in roughly any of the same places...

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » April 3rd, 2015, 4:12 pm

Will any of those trees be saved? Would stink to have them all ripped out only to have new saplings planted in roughly any of the same places...
Agree, Nothing looks so pathetic that a bunch of sapling that are supposed to shade a park. IF they can't figure a way to save those mature tress and work around them, the landscape designer needs a different line of work.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » April 3rd, 2015, 4:19 pm

Not disagreeing with you, but the firm doing the project for the commons is letting the public or the board or CAC or whatever! Decide what size trees they want at first. Smaller, medium or large. I'm sure someone might be able to find it in the presentation. I would love for this to stay so people in about 30 years or so learn about the Strib building or.. maybe even the StarTribune in general :o

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » April 3rd, 2015, 4:27 pm

I don't think those few trees are so important that I'd allow them to drive the overall design for an entire two block park.

If you've got the money to spend, arborists have actually gotten very good at spading and transporting larger trees. They don't need to be saplings.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » April 3rd, 2015, 4:39 pm

I don't think those few trees are so important that I'd allow them to drive the overall design for an entire two block park.

If you've got the money to spend, arborists have actually gotten very good at spading and transporting larger trees. They don't need to be saplings.
Those trees are located on the half block where the apartment will be build on the other half of the block. The block with the Star/Trib building will pretty much be a blank canvas , unless there are some mature trees at the very edge of the block, and at this point I can't say I remember any. As the sidewalks are fronting the streets and most of the building is next to the sidewalk except for the loading dock area. There might be a tree along Park Ave across from the LRT station on the back side of the building. They can do what ever they want with the full block. But let's at least keep the half block with as much establish trees as possible. That pocket park where those trees are located is only about 20 feet deep so they will not intrude that much into the block.

Do you know the cost of moving large mature trees??? Big $$$$$. In moved big tree would probably cost the same as 30 sapling which will not do much for 15- 20 year. How many years has the Hennepin Government Center been around. Those tree on the south plaza are now finally at maturity where they do what they were planted to do. provide decent amount of shade and greenery

VAStationDude
US Bank Plaza

Postby VAStationDude » April 3rd, 2015, 6:45 pm

But perhaps more importantly, unlike the Commons, the lot isn’t separated from the stadium by a light rail line.

“Every 90 seconds there’s going to be a train coming from one direction or another,” Bagley said. “So the fact that this space is east of the LRT and it is more directly and physically connected to the [stadium] plaza, it will be more directly engaged as part of the gameday experience.”
Does this confirm that this section of 5th Street (between Chicago and Park) is definitely going away, as we've long hoped for?
Everything specific I've read indicates the permanent closure to Park. I was in the area for the first time since the closure Monday and was disappointed to see 5th open between Chicago and Park. I did see a west bound train make it through park without having to sit through almost an entire cycle, which was a very rare occurrence in recent months.

TroyGBiv
US Bank Plaza

Postby TroyGBiv » April 4th, 2015, 3:18 pm

I forgot about that pocket park! It will be great to have a green space in front of those towers.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » April 5th, 2015, 9:24 pm

Judging by the summary at the top of the article, it looks like this was posted prematurely and then pulled. I wonder why.
it's baaaack.

http://www.startribune.com/local/minnea ... 87551.html
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » April 5th, 2015, 9:25 pm

They needed to make their article title funnier of course

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » April 6th, 2015, 12:56 pm

I think they could very easily save those nice mature trees. They are in the corner of a block, so wouldnt necessarily disrupt any plans of any open space.

Michael
City Center

Postby Michael » April 6th, 2015, 7:10 pm

They needed to make their article title funnier of course
https://youtu.be/h3SbGmUQQr4

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » April 8th, 2015, 3:40 pm

So who's also killing time downtown right now waiting for the meeting to start?

Silophant

Postby Silophant » April 8th, 2015, 3:48 pm

Me!
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » April 8th, 2015, 4:01 pm

Where are you guys? I am too