Soccer Stadium in Minneapolis (cancelled)

Historical Topics - Archives
cooperrez
Landmark Center

Re: Major League Soccer Stadium in Minneapolis

Postby cooperrez » April 1st, 2015, 10:57 am

I agree with those who think this latest article lacks a bit of meat. It's stated that Salmen hasn't met McGuire. He also said he has been in talks with the team ownership people for 2 years and he was told that the team would have to go through the legislature. So when was he told this, two years ago or a couple of months ago? Is going through the legislature, having a conversation with Bakk or something else? I'd like some more context to what has actually taken place. I think that's open to interpretation based on what we're given from the article.

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » April 1st, 2015, 11:42 am

Until the editorial board lines up against the stadium, I don't know that we can call it hypocritical.
You see no difference in the reporting excluding the editorials?
Towns!

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » April 1st, 2015, 1:14 pm

Until the editorial board lines up against the stadium, I don't know that we can call it hypocritical.
You see no difference in the reporting excluding the editorials?
Well so far we have a few puff pieces that talk about us getting MLS (quite positive in their reporting) along with several asking about financing (I suppose we can call this "negative"?)

Really, this discussion only started in the last month. Comparing a project that's halfway done with what amounts to a half-baked idea (we have an announcement that kinda, sorta gave us a team with a whole lot of strings attached) is really not comparing apples to apples.

Let's at least wait until McGuire steps up to the plate and gives us an actual plan with actual numbers before we truly compare the coverage.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » April 9th, 2015, 12:36 pm

Senate Majority Leader Tom Bakk to meet with McGuire: http://www.startribune.com/politics/sta ... 17191.html

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » April 9th, 2015, 3:53 pm

Northern Pitch on the likelihood that the team would play certain games at the new Vikings stadium. It's hard to imagine the Vikings cooperating, but it sounds like there's a chance they wouldn't have a say.

http://northernpitch.com/_/minnesota-so ... o-mls-r148

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » April 9th, 2015, 4:39 pm

Northern Pitch on the likelihood that the team would play certain games at the new Vikings stadium. It's hard to imagine the Vikings cooperating, but it sounds like there's a chance they wouldn't have a say.

http://northernpitch.com/_/minnesota-so ... o-mls-r148
When you don't pay for the whole thing, you can't always get your way on what happens in the venue.

downfall
City Center

Postby downfall » April 9th, 2015, 6:00 pm

http://m.startribune.com/politics/state ... ?section=/
Preliminary plans for the site — included in one of the e-mail exchanges — show a stadium surrounded by a “Soccer Stadium Podium Connection to 7th Street,” a “New City Gateway” roundabout at Olson Memorial Highway and 7th Street, as well as a new “Mall” just north of the existing Farmers Market sheds.
Really would like to see a copy of those plans. Trying to imagine a roundabout with a light rail line running through it.

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » April 9th, 2015, 8:45 pm

It's now in the strib article:

http://stmedia.startribune.com/images/o ... 544617.jpg

Yay, I'm sure the city, county, and 2020 partners would just love to throw some public money towards...surface parking.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » April 9th, 2015, 9:28 pm

Isn't a large part of the design for the Interchange that it will form a "flying junction" once the two extensions are built? That makes me skeptical that this circle would have LRT at grade.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » April 9th, 2015, 9:51 pm

Agreed, the lrt would fly over. But wow, it's one heck of a roundabout in size.

Does soccer have a significant tailgating among fans that would need that much surface lot?

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » April 9th, 2015, 10:18 pm

X's indicate what should be removed according to Kenney...

That's basically some of the great features. Also why not put 250 below grade then put either development or some.. I hate to say it.. Stadium plaza or green space

tabletop
Nicollet Mall

Postby tabletop » April 9th, 2015, 11:57 pm

I do like the idea of a large roundabout there, but I wonder if the proximity to the HERC and the Metro Transit Bus garage is why its not well regarded. Having a lot of large vehicles weaving around a tight(ish) turn might have implications not desired by the county.

*That said, it is an awful intersection as it stands today.

downfall
City Center

Postby downfall » April 10th, 2015, 7:32 am

Isn't a large part of the design for the Interchange that it will form a "flying junction" once the two extensions are built? That makes me skeptical that this circle would have LRT at grade.
Conceptual DEIS plans for this intersection have LRT at grade. The Blue Line is not elevated until it crosses the HERC driveway.

https://i.imgur.com/8KIVpeQ.jpg

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » April 10th, 2015, 9:15 am

My read was that things were X'ed out not because people didn't like them, but because they hadn't been reviewed or approved by any elected officials.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » April 10th, 2015, 9:16 am

Conceptual DEIS plans for this intersection have LRT at grade. The Blue Line is not elevated until it crosses the HERC driveway.

https://i.imgur.com/8KIVpeQ.jpg
Are you sure that you're reading that plan correctly? Seems like it could be an elevated crossing that drops down to grade once it gets to the median.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » April 10th, 2015, 9:35 am

Yeah, this shows it as elevated until it crosses 5th Ave. However, page 61 of this engineering doc seems to show it at grade? Other profiles with overpasses/etc clearly show it.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » April 10th, 2015, 9:42 am

I'm almost positive this is supposed to be elevated.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » April 10th, 2015, 9:45 am

However, page 61 of this engineering doc seems to show it at grade?
This looks very old. Note the Hennepin County logo.

downfall
City Center

Postby downfall » April 10th, 2015, 10:25 am

Green Line is elevated over 7th Street, but the Blue Line is at grade though the intersection with Olson Memorial Highway. The southbound Blue Line track passes underneath the Green Line structure and runs on the pocket track alignment towards Target Field Station. Right before they come together, the lines are stacked NB Blue, WB Green, EB Green, SB Blue.

Blue Line DEIS Conceptual Drawings (large file size) - look at pages 42, 43 and 44

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » April 10th, 2015, 10:56 am

My read was that things were X'ed out not because people didn't like them, but because they hadn't been reviewed or approved by any elected officials.
"A stadium schematic included in e-mail correspondence between Dan Kenney and Hennepin County Commissioner Mike Opat on March 11. Kenney confirmed the schematic was created by design firm Populous, but he added the "X"s to indicated concepts that should be removed from the base plan."

"Kenney confirmed the plans were created by design firm Populous for Minnesota United. He used “X”s to cross out all three concepts in an e-mail to Opat, later explaining to the Star Tribune that the basic plans should not include features that aren’t paid for or fully vetted."

Too much too soon? Seems this will be their ask of the taxpayers.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.