Sunday Liquor Sales and other Beer/Liquor Legislation

Elections - City Councils and Commissions - Policies
EOst
Capella Tower

Re: Sunday Liquor Sales and other Beer/Liquor Legislation

Postby EOst » April 16th, 2015, 6:00 pm

Honestly, of all the issues that our elected representatives could choose to vote with special interests on, this one is pretty benign.

maxbaby
Landmark Center

Postby maxbaby » April 16th, 2015, 6:13 pm

Why can't WE vote on this issue? If the people want it then the people should be able to vote on it.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » April 16th, 2015, 6:20 pm

As attractive as citizen initiatives are as an idea, they tend to cause more harm than good in states that allow them. For example.

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » April 16th, 2015, 6:21 pm

Hoenslty, if we want this to pass, it probably needs to be an issue we ask when candidates are running. Essentially force them to take a stand as they campaign. I think we often leave it until the session starts and by then it's too late. But now I have to think long and hard about my senator and if she'll be earning my vote next time (given that it's a guaranteed DFL stronghold, I'm leaning toward no, unless her competition is worse).

Tenderfoot
Block E

Postby Tenderfoot » April 17th, 2015, 8:41 am

Interesting that Franzen voted for it, when Edina City Manager Scott Neal has been so vocally against Sunday sales.

gpete
Union Depot

Postby gpete » April 17th, 2015, 9:02 am

Scott Neal deals with the city budget and Edina's municipal liquor stores are an important revenue stream. I think their split is explained by their very different roles: the citizens want to be able to buy booze whenever they want, so their elected Senator votes for Sunday sales, but the pragmatic city manager fears what that would mean for the city budget. And Neal's not elected, so he doesn't answer directly to the masses.

Tenderfoot
Block E

Postby Tenderfoot » April 17th, 2015, 10:56 am

Gpete- that's how I see it too; it's interesting that some No-voting senators with muni liquor stores don't seem to see it that way, and that so many of the No-voters lack even that excuse...

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » April 28th, 2015, 8:10 am

The House will take up the Omnibus Liquor Bill this afternoon. The bill does not include a Sunday Sales provision, but an amendment will surely be offered on the floor. Reportedly, House Speaker Kurt Daudt (R) was doing a whip count in his caucus AND on the DFL side. Very unusual for a speaker to be doing a whip count of the minority party! I think that means this must be really, really close.
The last time the full house voted on Sunday Sales in 2013, it was absolutely crushed 21-106. Even if all 11 new GOP members are "YES" and replaced 11 outstate DFLers that were "NO" in 2013 (which is unlikely), it's still a long, long way from passage. Even if 40 votes changed from two years ago it would still fall short by 5 votes!

If it passes the House with the Sunday Sales amendment intact, they'll go to conference committee. A minimum of 4 Senators will have to flip their votes to "YES" for the bill to pass when it comes back to their chamber.

While the Senate recently voted 28-35 against last week, it was closer than ever in history. It was defeated 22-42 just last year.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » April 28th, 2015, 8:42 am

This may be an item where legislators might be inclined to support it, but don't want to stick their neck out if they don't think it's going to pass.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » April 28th, 2015, 9:11 am

True... lots of fingers in the air I'm guessing. Though if somehow Sunday Sales passed on the House floor, I think that would change the winds enough to get the needed votes back in the Senate.

billhelm
Nicollet Mall

Postby billhelm » April 28th, 2015, 10:01 am

I hope this eventually passes so we can move onto issues that liquor stores and the MLBA may actually get behind, like allowing on/off sale of beer and wine at liquor stores, allowing growler fills of various sizes at liquor stores, and allowing brewpubs to distribute their product. Those are the things that will really move things forward in this state with respect to craft beer and wine. There are plenty of Mom and Pops in other states that allow these things and have Sunday sales. In fact, there's many new bottle shops in states like NC that recently passed legislation to allow on sale of beer and wine. Allows the stores to turn into a bar tap room with good margins and also sell packaged beer. And there's sales in grocery stores there too. It works when it's allowed.

But instead we're stuck on Sunday sales - a relatively simple issue with little opposition outside of the muni's and other mom and pops that want to keep the protection.

Ah well, maybe someday.

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » April 28th, 2015, 2:11 pm

House omnibus bill passes. Sunday sales amendments fail. Again.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » April 28th, 2015, 2:18 pm

57-75 was the vote. And that wasn't even for "full" Sunday Sales, it was for the "local option" bill that let each municipality choose. Included a ban on Sunday deliveries too to placate the teamsters.

Still, major progress from 2 years ago. Just 10 or 11 votes to flip in the House and 4 or 5 in the Senate. Lots of DFLers, particularly urban DFLers on the wrong side of this issue. Problem is too many of these seats are extremely safe and see no reason to listen to constituents on this issue. Looks like we're playing the urban+range DFLer retirement game for another session or two until this issue gets decided once and for all.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » April 28th, 2015, 10:05 pm

Problem is too many of these seats are extremely safe and see no reason to listen to constituents on this issue.
If they're safe seats, no one would care if they voted for Sunday sales either. It's not like the Teamsters are suddenly going to go give money to Republicans. With a safe seat, a legislator doesn't need union money to win.

I simply cannot understand what these safe DFLers are thinking unless they truly believe Sunday sales is bad policy.

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » April 29th, 2015, 8:26 am

^You have to assume that at least a few of the DFLers in safe seats have higher aspirations. Sure helps to have the Teamster money flowing into your war chest...

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » April 29th, 2015, 9:29 am

That's a fair point, and certainly applies to your Thissens and Hilstroms that have run for higher office and your Winklers and Melins, etc. that will run for higher office someday.

But for the life of me, I cannot get into the mind of Karen Clark or Jean Wagenius or any other old DFL'er near retirement. Are their votes just payback to the union for years of campaign funding? Just too stubborn to change their minds?

Here's how they voted:

http://mnbeeractivists.com/legislative- ... ment-57-75

There was another chart put out showing legislators in their 4th or more term voted against Sunday Sales by a 2:1 margin. Freshman Reps supported the amendment by a much higher margin. We're like one big wave of retirements away from getting this done, on both sides of the aisle. At this point though, it is the DFL obstructing Sunday Sales. I wouldn't be surprised if Sunday Sales winds up on the MNGOP party platform in 2016.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » April 29th, 2015, 9:46 am

Loon and Selcer were for it. That makes me happy.

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » April 29th, 2015, 9:56 am

Well it was Loon's amendment, so I'd hope so.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » April 29th, 2015, 11:00 am

Thanks I knew that and am still happy. Sorry the wording wasn't good enough

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » April 29th, 2015, 9:27 pm

Very glad that Hornstein voted the right way. That's what I'd expect from him.

Pleasantly surprised that Hausman is also on the right side, though she's always been a bit of a rebel within the party.

I finally agree with Loeffler on something!

As usual, Mullery is completely useless.

xandrex's point about higher office and/or DFL party position is a good one. That explains many of the city votes.

The biggest DFL disappointment for me is Wagenius.