University of Minnesota - News & General Topics

Northeast, Near North, Camden, Old St. Anthony, University and surrounding neighborhoods
emcee squared
Metrodome

Re: University of Minnesota

Postby emcee squared » October 9th, 2014, 12:11 pm

Huzzah! This can't come soon enough: http://www.mndaily.com/news/campus/2014 ... law-school
Very good! I live in Seven Corners and always wondered why there wasn't a better connection there. Down with the stairs!

Nick
Capella Tower

Re: University of Minnesota

Postby Nick » December 15th, 2014, 9:35 pm

One of our posters wrote a good streets.mn post (with research even!) about the student housing market around the U:

https://streets.mn/2014/12/15/the-curiou ... t-housing/
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

twincitizen

Re: University of Minnesota - General Topics & Development M

Postby twincitizen » February 3rd, 2015, 1:37 pm

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » March 15th, 2015, 10:39 am

I don't know if this is the right place for this since the previous rumors thread got derailed, but a source tells me that the Carlson School of management wants to buy 1919 Riverside ave and build a start-up business incubator.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » March 15th, 2015, 1:30 pm

The former Riverside Imports (look at all those Car2go's!): https://www.google.com/maps/@44.969258, ... Tm1FGg!2e0

Hopefully it'd be less imposing than the Carlson's building across the street.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » March 16th, 2015, 7:50 am

Great.....looks like an improvement towards highest and best use (HBU) of that land.

ord2msp
City Center

Postby ord2msp » April 6th, 2015, 8:41 pm

The former Riverside Imports (look at all those Car2go's!): https://www.google.com/maps/@44.969258, ... Tm1FGg!2e0

Hopefully it'd be less imposing than the Carlson's building across the street.
Let's hope they do a better job addressing Riverside Avenue than Hanson Hall. I can't imagine a scenario in which the city would give Hanson Hall a stamp of approval in terms of street frontage.

woofner
Wells Fargo Center

Postby woofner » May 2nd, 2015, 8:58 am

Also in the Strib today, an article about Augsburg completing fund raising for a new $50m building:

http://www.startribune.com/local/minnea ... 59421.html

I don't expect it, but I hope the city rejects this campus plan. Cutting off 7th St would be contrary to comp plan goals to preserve and rebuild the street grid and also detrimental to pedestrian circulation.
"Who rescued whom!"

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » May 2nd, 2015, 10:12 am

it's worth noting that 7th already gets cut off a block east, and the plan does preserve some pedestrian circulation with a landscaped footpath along the southern side. 20th Ave S (a block west) is one of the Tier II protected bike lanes being considered, though, so I would wonder what Augsburg's plan is for handling cyclists, since this is the most natural approach.

(For those confused by the rendering, it's looking south toward the Augsburg dorm towers overlooking 94 in this area. The new building would be on top of the big parking lots and the two vestigial houses.)

nBode
Union Depot

Postby nBode » May 3rd, 2015, 11:01 pm

Yeah, I've gotta say; putting this building in the middle of the road is a really weird plan given the amount of space around it both now and in the proposal. It could easily be moved over a bit...

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » May 6th, 2015, 12:04 pm

It's quite possible that this has been like this forever, but I just recently noticed that westbound traffic on University Avenue accessing 94 is directed to turn left at 25th Avenue SE and then right on Delaware and then left onto Huron (rather than a direct left turn onto Huron as I might have expected).

Obviously this is a good shortcut for those familiar with the area, but it seems like pushing this traffic on to a back street is a little unusual, no?

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » May 6th, 2015, 12:33 pm

"To 94" signs along that route appear to be newer, likely put in when LRT heavy construction began in 2012: https://www.google.com/maps/@44.973415, ... 00!6m1!1e1

Before then there wasn't even a stoplight at Delaware/Huron and that last little stub of Delaware was eastbound only, making this left turn movement impossible as you couldn't access Huron at all there. Per your concern about overwhelming low volume streets, they could also direct people to turn left as far back as 27th Ave, to distribute traffic a little more evenly and not overwhelm 25th/Delaware. Then you'd have one "route" signed via 25th & Delaware and another route signed via 27th & Essex, which don't overlap if done correctly.

mulad

Postby mulad » May 8th, 2015, 6:51 am

I forget exactly when that went in, but it was pretty early in Green Line construction, if not before. 25th was rebuilt, to take out some parking on the side of the Little Dearborn/Caspian Bistro building. They added a nice sidewalk, though.

I think a dedicated left turn lane was added to University for cars turning onto 25th. I'm always a bit dubious about how often people will take the opportunity to make two left turns instead of one. Similar story at Snelling and University for the bypass around the Spruce Tree Center.

ProspectPete
Union Depot

Postby ProspectPete » August 12th, 2015, 9:50 am

Looks like they have broken ground on the lot at 2812 University Ave, the site of the building that was destroyed by a fire a year or so back.
There is a 2812 University thread here but for some reason it is locked.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » August 12th, 2015, 8:02 pm

There is actually a thread for the hotel project: https://forum.streets.mn/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2900&p=61440

The locked thread is an old, old topic regarding the fire itself. IIRC, I declined to merge them because the hotel thread had such a nice clean start with a link to the plans and everything (the way I wish every development thread began)

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » August 26th, 2015, 12:01 pm

The (unbelievably inconvenient) Pleasant Street reconstruction is very nearly complete. Tiny thumbnail links to a bigger image:

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » August 26th, 2015, 1:24 pm

Wait, did they take out the traffic circle? I liked it.

More importantly, did they finally reconnect the water in that damn fountain?
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » August 26th, 2015, 2:19 pm

They took out the southern circle (the one that was blocked with concrete barriers for a few years) and used the space for new planted areas (which I am certain will be quickly trampled). I'm curious to see how they handle the cycle interactions here, since the angle is sharp enough that I could easily imagine drivers plowing right through the bike lane.

nBode
Union Depot

Postby nBode » August 30th, 2015, 12:28 pm

As a student at the U, I must say I am extremely confused by this project. The design of this street didn't change at all; just new materials. The median is still way too wide (also basically unusable space), and it causes really awkward creases at each end. This makes it impossible for busses and other larger vehicles to properly wait at the traffic signal, and makes it awkward and somewhat unsafe for cyclists, as cars and busses are partially in the bike lane, etc. You sort of have to bike it to understand. **granted, I haven't biked the new road yet, so this is mostly conjecture for now.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » August 31st, 2015, 8:41 am

The median area is a historic part of the landscaping. As long as they keep the massive bike boxes at the intersections (and paint them regularly!), I'm not too worried.