Twin Cities' National and Global Image

Introductions - Urban Issues - Miscellaneous News, Topics, Interests
Tiller
Foshay Tower

Re: Twin Cities' National and Global Image

Postby Tiller » May 18th, 2015, 11:26 pm

I personally prefer the northstar flag design, though not exclusively. The compass design (as an example) also looks cool, though it may need modifications before use. The left-side stripe in that picture above doesn't do much for me either, though not because of connotations of Texas. A guidon shape automatically reminds me of Ohio's flag, which has always bothered me, so I'd prefer for us to have a rectangular flag.

Now this would certainly be an image booster...

http://www.startribune.com/minnesota-la ... 304178701/
That landmark Spiel should absolutely happen - things are coming together for the expo in 2023, so we ought to take advantage of that. I'd love to see some good landmark designs, having not had much of a clue as to what it could/should/would look like. Involving the north star is a very appealing idea to ponder.
Yeah. St Louis. Hotbed of immigration. because arch
It would enhance branding/quality of life efforts, not supplant or be them. St Louis doesn't have as good of a quality of life as we do, which is the most important part of attracting people.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » May 20th, 2015, 7:10 am

Saint Paul and Minneapolis tie for the best park system in the country. Saint Paul debuted in the rankings this year.

http://www.tpl.org/blog/twin-cities-tie

Not bad! The best kind of competitiveness between "twins". :D

beykite
Nicollet Mall

Postby beykite » May 20th, 2015, 8:58 am

Regarding flags, how would we go about changing them? I love how in Chicago you see the city flag all over. With all the talk about "branding" I feel like now is as good a time as ever to get the flag thing rolling.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » May 20th, 2015, 11:49 am

Last night after the Nicollet Mall meeting I was walking over to Mayo Clinic Square to see what else has been done recently in terms of the outside, and I happened to be next to James Corner of James Corner Field Operations. He was talking with some of his colleagues about how clean of a city Minneapolis is. And that the homeless here are a lot less "violent" than in other cities. He said in San Francisco, Seattle, and New York; some of them will be aggressive and pretty mean. It was good to hear.

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Postby Minneboy » May 20th, 2015, 12:10 pm

Thank you Grant. Hope I don't get flagged.

widin007
Nicollet Mall

Postby widin007 » May 20th, 2015, 12:38 pm

Last night after the Nicollet Mall meeting I was walking over to Mayo Clinic Square to see what else has been done recently in terms of the outside, and I happened to be next to James Corner of James Corner Field Operations. He was talking with some of his colleagues about how clean of a city Minneapolis is. And that the homeless here are a lot less "violent" than in other cities. He said in San Francisco, Seattle, and New York; some of them will be aggressive and pretty mean. It was good to hear.
Oh yeah, after living in SF for a few months last year the homeless here are not quite disruptive? Im not sure the right word to use, but the homelessness issue in SF is shocking in comparison really.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » May 21st, 2015, 7:58 am

I've got to say, I'm impressed in your ability to network with people and strike up casual conversations to dig up dirt (or gold) on area developments. Pretty impressive for somebody, let alone somebody your age!

Tiller
Foshay Tower

Postby Tiller » May 21st, 2015, 8:02 am

Regarding flags, how would we go about changing them? I love how in Chicago you see the city flag all over. With all the talk about "branding" I feel like now is as good a time as ever to get the flag thing rolling.
The minneapolis flag is probably easier to change, though both could use change. talking up the people who represent you would be a good place to start. We could additionally start a petition drive. Shilling for it in one's social circles can't hurt.

I believe there is also a small Facebook page someone made last year.

Chava
Nicollet Mall

Postby Chava » May 21st, 2015, 8:10 am

The minneapolis flag is probably easier to change, though both could use change. talking up the people who represent you would be a good place to start. We could additionally start a petition drive. Shilling for it in one's social circles can't hurt.

I believe there is also a small Facebook page someone made last year.
Show them this http://chicagoflagtattoos.com/ and say "this could be us."

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » May 22nd, 2015, 1:59 pm

"Living the life: seven members of MSP's growing coastal-transplant community"

http://www.thelinemedia.com/features/co ... 92015.aspx

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » June 1st, 2015, 6:46 am

The next great American food city is ... the Twin Cities?

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/m ... 1433162704

mulad

Postby mulad » June 2nd, 2015, 7:45 am

The End of the Tour is an upcoming biopic about a five-day road trip that David Lipsky had with David Foster Wallace, has some scenes shot in the Twin Cities, though apparently most of the filming happened in Michigan. Lipsky is played by Jesse Eisenberg and Wallace is played by Jason Segel:

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » June 2nd, 2015, 8:32 am

Sorry I don't have a URL to post, but on one of my MSN opening pages they have cities with the best urban bike trail and the TC did not even get mentioned. I was really disappointed as we are one of the great biking cities and have some of the best and most extensive urban trails in the country.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » June 2nd, 2015, 8:46 am

Yet we're the only city in America on 'The 20 most bike friendly cities in the world' list

http://www.wired.com/2015/06/copenhagen ... al_twitter

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » June 2nd, 2015, 9:11 am

That's because most of these lists don't mean anything.

Munch'n
Nicollet Mall

Postby Munch'n » June 3rd, 2015, 7:12 pm

Meet me in Wells

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » June 4th, 2015, 7:36 am

Weird....I would never have guessed MN would be a hotbed for water technology. I thought it'd come from states with water shortages and/or lots of educated engineers (like CA). This may be an intriguing industry to transfer into, career-wise...

twinkess
Target Field

Postby twinkess » June 4th, 2015, 8:46 am

The comments on that article are a doozy. One person fretting about all the water we are losing to cement buildings... oy

Viktor Vaughn
Target Field

Postby Viktor Vaughn » June 11th, 2015, 12:54 pm

Minnesota is second in the nation on the number of teenagers living with both of their married biological parents.
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/11/upsho ... v=top-news

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » June 12th, 2015, 5:52 am

12 things about (Jewish) Minnesota.

http://forward.com/culture/309379/of-bo ... minnesota/