Blue Line Extension - Bottineau LRT

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
Record Machine
Metrodome

Re: Bottineau LRT (Blue Line Extension)

Postby Record Machine » March 13th, 2015, 12:19 pm

So this thing's gonna skip the densest part of the most economically challenged part of the city and cruise through a 126 yr old park? Well done.

*Edit: I see others made similar comments 4 years ago lol.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » May 28th, 2015, 6:54 pm

Issue 3 of Tracking the Blue Line came out today

http://www.metrocouncil.org/METC/files/ ... 225399.pdf

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » May 29th, 2015, 8:10 am

Issue 3 of Tracking the Blue Line came out today

http://www.metrocouncil.org/METC/files/ ... 225399.pdf
Great updates on this extension. Glad to see they are reducing the overall width of ROW through Brooklyn Park, reducing the number of property acquisitions. Also glad to see that the two Golden Valley stations are still in the mix for now.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » May 29th, 2015, 10:07 am

Still a 4+ lane profile through BP? I wonder if they could have reduced property impacts with a 2+ lane profile.

xanadu
Block E

Postby xanadu » June 9th, 2015, 8:32 am

Did anyone attend the station planning meeting last week? I wasn't able to make it, but I'm curious about the general mood and how people were reacting to the plans.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » June 9th, 2015, 5:25 pm

I went, had three cookies and lemonade. There was a TON of staff there, a decent amount of the public. The balls in general seemed kind of soft...impact on community gardens, a major concern, got some play. I asked a question about whether or not the cost estimate was reasonably correct given issues building trains through marshes in other parts of the metro, and whether or not they'd have said reasonably correct estimates prior to getting municipal consent this time.

Man, if I were staff I would absolutely refuse to do a Q & A before that many unscreened people.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » June 9th, 2015, 8:33 pm

Good thing you're not staff then.

Archiapolis
US Bank Plaza

Postby Archiapolis » June 10th, 2015, 10:18 am

I went, had three cookies and lemonade. There was a TON of staff there, a decent amount of the public. The balls in general seemed kind of soft...impact on community gardens, a major concern, got some play. I asked a question about whether or not the cost estimate was reasonably correct given issues building trains through marshes in other parts of the metro, and whether or not they'd have said reasonably correct estimates prior to getting municipal consent this time.
...and, the answer to this question was...?

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » June 10th, 2015, 3:57 pm

The staff guy from Metro Transit was very nice (and in fact followed me out into the lobby to talk after) but it seemed like about what you'd expect. They're out doing soil work, etc. right now, but that $1 billion number is based off of 5% engineering. We'll see how it plays out. This line has an even less compelling set of reasons to exist than SWLRT, and as such will have much less of a constituency than SWLRT (which also does not have much of a constituency) so if it's March 2016 and suddenly this thing is $1.5 billion, I dunno.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » June 10th, 2015, 7:38 pm

The math is tricky, but I believe $1B in 2015 equates to $100B a year later, in construction financing terms. :ugeek:

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » June 10th, 2015, 7:51 pm

That sounds right
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

Silophant

Postby Silophant » June 10th, 2015, 8:03 pm

Oh my god does it ever.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » June 11th, 2015, 8:52 am

will have much less of a constituency than SWLRT (which also does not have much of a constituency)
:roll:

PigsEye

Postby PigsEye » July 10th, 2015, 3:38 pm

What is the most recent timeline for construction? Has it been delayed much? Could we see the blue line construction start before the green line extension is completed?

dragne_SDI
Block E

Postby dragne_SDI » July 10th, 2015, 8:25 pm

What is the most recent timeline for construction? Has it been delayed much? Could we see the blue line construction start before the green line extension is completed?
Last I heard (which was last week), Bottineau is still planned to open during late 2021. The goal is for the construction on both projects to occur almost simultaneously (though slightly offset) if Bottineau doesn't encounter any more delays, however there is concern that both projects would also conflict with the Gateway project, effectively exhausting materials and labor needed to complete all three projects, and most likely causing a delay in one of the projects (hopefully Gateway?). It is unrealistic to go through with three major transit projects in the same metro in the same 3 years.

In essence, every project is still sticking with its previously announced schedule (except SWLRT), though they may encounter problems because of it.

PigsEye

Postby PigsEye » July 10th, 2015, 8:33 pm

Sweet! Thanks for the update. It would be nice to see both going up around the same time. Though I thought the Orange line was next in line not the Gold (gateway) line?

I'm assuming the funding process for the blue line has not been finalized? Plus if the estimates end up higher we might start to see even more delays? Is it safe to be that optimistic we will see all four lines in operation within 10 years if not 8?

froggie
Rice Park

Postby froggie » July 10th, 2015, 8:49 pm

It is unrealistic to go through with three major transit projects in the same metro in the same 3 years.
I would say UNLIKELY, but not unrealistic. Denver currently has 5 major transit projects (3 commuter rail, 1 LRT, 1 BRT) under construction. So to say it's unrealistic is incorrect given that it's actually occurring right now in one US metro area.

Minnesota politics being what it is, plus the funding situation, is why I would say it's unlikely.

dragne_SDI
Block E

Postby dragne_SDI » July 10th, 2015, 10:41 pm

It is unrealistic to go through with three major transit projects in the same metro in the same 3 years.
I would say UNLIKELY, but not unrealistic. Denver currently has 5 major transit projects (3 commuter rail, 1 LRT, 1 BRT) under construction. So to say it's unrealistic is incorrect given that it's actually occurring right now in one US metro area.

Minnesota politics being what it is, plus the funding situation, is why I would say it's unlikely.
Perhaps I wasn't choosing my words carefully enough. The political and financial aspects of the three projects contributed to my calling the situation "unrealistic," however I suppose "unlikely" may be the better way of putting it.

sean
Block E

Postby sean » July 28th, 2015, 12:44 pm

Does anyone with familiarity in how infrastructure project management works know why municipal consent is scheduled at only 15% of design?

Why not have a complete picture presented to cities along the route. Everyone can go into the consent process with their eyes open.

The Met Council has moved consent up from Fall 2016 to Spring 2016, but why not wait for more engineering and budgeting to be done?